Engine Trouble

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Message
Author
lewiswill13
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Mid-Wales
Been Liked: 4 times

Engine Trouble

#1 Post by lewiswill13 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone, I am very new to motorbikes, and I am currently trying to get my Dad's old Honda XL125 1982 in running order so I can learn to ride, however, the engine is making a strange sound when applying the throttle. It idles fine and starts like champion. I took it to a garage and they said they would need to take the engine apart, however they weren't sure and I didn't want to spend the money they were asking for. Was wondering if anyone on here would be able to help me narrow down my search for the problem. [media] [/media] Its hard to explain the sound, but it sounds very hollow and doesn't seem to have much power. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have had the carb cleaned recently.

User avatar
SlowBusa
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Hayabusa
Location: Dunstable
Has Liked: 773 times
Been Liked: 357 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#2 Post by SlowBusa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Diagnosing engine sounds via recordings is always tricky......they rarely sound like they do in real life,

pull the plug and put a pic up here, did it have problems before you had carb cleaned?

Did you clean it or a Pro?

Hello BTW

User avatar
megawatt
Posts: 4689
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Fazer 1000, GSX1100ET
Location: Hastings, East Sussex
Has Liked: 676 times
Been Liked: 483 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#3 Post by megawatt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Where are you?
Bike work, I come to you and you can learn to do it yourself click the link below for more info
http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&p=949652

Snod Blatter
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E CB250N Two Fifty TRX850 K100RS Z250SL
Location: Leicester
Has Liked: 328 times
Been Liked: 150 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#4 Post by Snod Blatter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Is the exhaust actually bolted to the head? Is there a gasket in there??
Image

Bianco2564
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 244 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#5 Post by Bianco2564 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:23 am

Welcome.
Was it running ok before when your Dad had it?

Does it have points ignition or cdi?
If the former,clean them up or replace points,change condenser.
Check advance mechanism.
Set points gap and static timing
Check valve clearance
check air filter not blocked
check exhaust not blocked
Replace spark plug.

Seem to recall old Hondas wearing out cam bearings if the oil level was low or not changed regularly?

TimR
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:48 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Didcot
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 417 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#6 Post by TimR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:36 am

check that the plug is tight and its not missing the sealing washer .
my old xl100 had a similar issue but because thread had started to go on the head for the plug and was leaking past .... had to helicoil eventually when thread fully went and popped plug( did ride bike with a leather belt holding plug in place to get home )
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

fastbob
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 1896 times
Been Liked: 1422 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#7 Post by fastbob » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am

I had a listen with headphones and I think I'll take a guess at a worn out overhead camshaft bearing . This would explain the rattle and the lack of power. It probably runs in plain bearings so a good engineer might be able to turn down the shaft and insert some bushes. Usually in these cases both the steel shaft and the plain bearing will be damaged . Only a guess though.

lewiswill13
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Mid-Wales
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#8 Post by lewiswill13 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks everyone, I appreciate its hard to diagnose stuff without being here and it doesn't help that I'm not really a bike person! I'm working my way through all he suggestions, the exhaust is connected properly and does have a gasket, and I don't think its blocked. Its had oil relatively recently. I have also ordered a new spark plug. I have found that it had no air filter so not sure if that could be the cause? I didn't think it would effect it that much! The carb was cleaned by a professional so I don't think that is the problem. It has a CDI unit, but that seems to be working ok? I mean it starts every time even when its been stood for 6 months (but im no expert). I don't have a lot of money to spend on it, and I would like to try and do any of the work myself so I could learn for the future, but I'm quite reluctant to attempt to take the engine apart as I fear I will bugger it all up! is it as hard as I imagine? or could a beginner do it, using youtube?

User avatar
megawatt
Posts: 4689
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Fazer 1000, GSX1100ET
Location: Hastings, East Sussex
Has Liked: 676 times
Been Liked: 483 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#9 Post by megawatt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:21 am

WHERE ARE YOU?
Bike work, I come to you and you can learn to do it yourself click the link below for more info
http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&p=949652

fastbob
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 1896 times
Been Liked: 1422 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#10 Post by fastbob » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:18 pm

lewiswill13 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 am
Thanks everyone, I appreciate its hard to diagnose stuff without being here and it doesn't help that I'm not really a bike person! I'm working my way through all he suggestions, the exhaust is connected properly and does have a gasket, and I don't think its blocked. Its had oil relatively recently. I have also ordered a new spark plug. I have found that it had no air filter so not sure if that could be the cause? I didn't think it would effect it that much! The carb was cleaned by a professional so I don't think that is the problem. It has a CDI unit, but that seems to be working ok? I mean it starts every time even when its been stood for 6 months (but im no expert). I don't have a lot of money to spend on it, and I would like to try and do any of the work myself so I could learn for the future, but I'm quite reluctant to attempt to take the engine apart as I fear I will bugger it all up! is it as hard as I imagine? or could a beginner do it, using youtube?
Forget YouTube, people on it don't necessarily know what they are talking about and unfortunately you are not in a position to decide who's right or wrong. By far the best thing to do is buy a Haynes manual, and please don't take this the wrong way,READ it . 😉 If you get round to telling Megawatt whereabouts you live he may offer to visit you to sort it out . https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XL-125-R ... SwyTFaiD0s

mikestrivens
Posts: 2437
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 am
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Location: Peak District nr. Stockport
Has Liked: 691 times
Been Liked: 777 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#11 Post by mikestrivens » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:19 pm

lewiswill13 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:35 pm
Hi Everyone, I am very new to motorbikes, and I am currently trying to get my Dad's old Honda XL125 1982 in running order so I can learn to ride, however, the engine is making a strange sound when applying the throttle. It idles fine and starts like champion. I took it to a garage and they said they would need to take the engine apart, however they weren't sure and I didn't want to spend the money they were asking for. Was wondering if anyone on here would be able to help me narrow down my search for the problem.... Its hard to explain the sound, but it sounds very hollow and doesn't seem to have much power. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have had the carb cleaned recently.
It would be really helpful if you were to tell the forum where you are located. If you click on your name and go to the user control panel you can put your location in the profile tab.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

lewiswill13
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Mid-Wales
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#12 Post by lewiswill13 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi again everyone, Ive noticed that the bike is running rich, could this be a big issue? or would it not cause the problem im having?

User avatar
Westbeef
Fireman Sam!
Posts: 4046
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Location: Manchester
Has Liked: 508 times
Been Liked: 1083 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#13 Post by Westbeef » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:49 pm

lewiswill13 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:40 pm
Hi again everyone, Ive noticed that the bike is running rich, could this be a big issue? or would it not cause the problem im having?
Megawatt is asking where you’re based as he wants to help.
Image

lewiswill13
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Mid-Wales
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#14 Post by lewiswill13 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:59 pm

I live in on the border, near a place called Shrewsbury, my only issue is that I don't have spare money to pay for the time or the petrol to get here, hence why Im trying to do it myself.

Cooper123
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Engine Trouble

#15 Post by Cooper123 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Best advice i can give, is that if you dont know exactly what you are doing leave it with a professional as you could potentially make it worse. If you do try to fix it yourself firstly try to find exactly where the noise is coming from eg gearbox, top end, bottom end, exhaust. Then take it from there.. hope this helps.