Engine Trouble

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Speedy23
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 1300A
Has Liked: 206 times
Been Liked: 627 times

Re: Engine Trouble

#16 Post by Speedy23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

fastbob wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am
I had a listen with headphones and I think I'll take a guess at a worn out overhead camshaft bearing . This would explain the rattle and the lack of power. It probably runs in plain bearings so a good engineer might be able to turn down the shaft and insert some bushes. Usually in these cases both the steel shaft and the plain bearing will be damaged . Only a guess though.
What lack of power? Don't recall OP mentioning that....apart from "doesn't seem to have much power". Has anybody given it a good thrash up the (private) road? I would bet valve clearances or piston slap. Anyway, Honda single ain't gonna be much hassle to strip & fix. Haynes time, I'm afraid......
Oh my God, what's happened? I don't know man...I just got here myself!

lewiswill13
Been Liked: 4 times

#17 Post by lewiswill13 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi guys, I fixed it! Ive had the carbs cleaned again and there was a hole in the underside of the exhaust pipe where it had rotted away, I should have noticed it before!! Started it up and the throttle is back in business!! thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate it!

SlowBusa
Bike(s): Hayabusa
Has Liked: 773 times
Been Liked: 359 times

#18 Post by SlowBusa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Good Job

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has Liked: 2543 times
Been Liked: 2141 times

#19 Post by fastbob » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Speedy23 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm
fastbob wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am
I had a listen with headphones and I think I'll take a guess at a worn out overhead camshaft bearing . This would explain the rattle and the lack of power. It probably runs in plain bearings so a good engineer might be able to turn down the shaft and insert some bushes. Usually in these cases both the steel shaft and the plain bearing will be damaged . Only a guess though.
What lack of power? Don't recall OP mentioning that....apart from "doesn't seem to have much power". Has anybody given it a good thrash up the (private) road? I would bet valve clearances or piston slap. Anyway, Honda single ain't gonna be much hassle to strip & fix. Haynes time, I'm afraid......
Forgive me but the phrase " doesn't seem to have much power " indicates to me a lack of power.

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has Liked: 2543 times
Been Liked: 2141 times

#20 Post by fastbob » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:18 pm

lewiswill13 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:19 pm
Hi guys, I fixed it! Ive had the carbs cleaned again and there was a hole in the underside of the exhaust pipe where it had rotted away, I should have noticed it before!! Started it up and the throttle is back in business!! thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate it!
Great ! Would you say that it now has more power ?

lewiswill13
Been Liked: 4 times

#21 Post by lewiswill13 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:34 pm

yeah its a lot better, I think cleaning the carb properly and giving it full tank of good quality fuel really sorted it out. hopefully can get it on the road sometime soon!!