Honda SS125

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Message
Author
Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#61 Post by Bianco2564 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 am

fastbob wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:35 am
The A361 is a favourite of mine too . There was a lot of resurfacing this year though with loose gravel everywhere. It's probably dispersed by now .
The surface isnt too bad now, they redid a particularly bad patch near Wardington, its now race track smooth :thumb:
There is a section between Byfield and Chipping Warden that's as rough as feck so just watch for that.

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#62 Post by Bianco2564 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm

After 3 weeks of nothing happening to the Honda due being ill for a week,new grandson Harry,xmas shopping and babysitting finally got a bit more done.
I ordered the parts to try out the zinc plating thanks @linuxrob ,wired up the regulator and hooked up to a test piece which started to fizz nicely.
Just got to figure out how to adjust voltage and current (No instructions with it) .
Ordered some new chain adjusters from David Silver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2189 times
Been Liked: 1663 times

Re: Honda SS125

#63 Post by fastbob » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Just a thought really on zinc plating in general. I've been following Linuxrob's progress with interest and I think the results are very impressive. But my question is , if zinc plating is so good why did the parts still rust in the first place ? Would it not be better to have the parts chrome plated ? They wouldn't necessarily have to be polished up to a perfect shine but the process would give a more durable finish. I understand that chrome is applied on top of undercoats of copper and nickle ( I think ) I suppose it depends on whether you are trying to achieve an authentic look or not . Anyway, good luck with it .

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#64 Post by Bianco2564 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:27 pm

fastbob wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:11 pm
Just a thought really on zinc plating in general. I've been following Linuxrob's progress with interest and I think the results are very impressive. But my question is , if zinc plating is so good why did the parts still rust in the first place ? Would it not be better to have the parts chrome plated ? They wouldn't necessarily have to be polished up to a perfect shine but the process would give a more durable finish. I understand that chrome is applied on top of undercoats of copper and nickle ( I think ) I suppose it depends on whether you are trying to achieve an authentic look or not . Anyway, good luck with it .
Chrome plating is expensive, zinc plating although less durable is cheap.
Check out this site for the chroming process.
http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhoo ... -explained

Guy at work had some bits done for his Dads Royal Enfield, mudguard and exhaust downpipe and it came to over £300.

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#65 Post by Bianco2564 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Ordered a side grab handle off the bay from a breakers in Iowa USA.

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#66 Post by Bianco2564 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Too cold and damp to be in the garage so dragged the bar's into the house, took them apart and polished up eveything.
Needs new pivot bolts and switchgear screws.
Chrome on the bar's is a bit pitted but good enough for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#67 Post by Bianco2564 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:26 pm

Got the bar's and carb back on today.
Also renewed my insurance and added the Honda to it.
Roll on spring.

User avatar
linuxrob
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, GS125. Z500 from new
Location: North East UK
Has Liked: 29 times
Been Liked: 37 times

Re: Honda SS125

#68 Post by linuxrob » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Bianco2564 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm
After 3 weeks of nothing happening to the Honda due being ill for a week,new grandson Harry,xmas shopping and babysitting finally got a bit more done.
I ordered the parts to try out the zinc plating thanks @linuxrob ,wired up the regulator and hooked up to a test piece which started to fizz nicely.
Just got to figure out how to adjust voltage and current (No instructions with it) .
Ordered some new chain adjusters from David Silver
Glad you are having a go with the plating. the vendor you got the psu from should give you adjustment details as the voltage you have there is far to high. can you post the link to the device please?

anything i can do to help

rob B

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#69 Post by Bianco2564 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:33 pm

linuxrob wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:22 pm
Bianco2564 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm
After 3 weeks of nothing happening to the Honda due being ill for a week,new grandson Harry,xmas shopping and babysitting finally got a bit more done.
I ordered the parts to try out the zinc plating thanks @linuxrob ,wired up the regulator and hooked up to a test piece which started to fizz nicely.
Just got to figure out how to adjust voltage and current (No instructions with it) .
Ordered some new chain adjusters from David Silver
Glad you are having a go with the plating. the vendor you got the psu from should give you adjustment details as the voltage you have there is far to high. can you post the link to the device please?

anything i can do to help

rob B
Yes I am using a 5v phone charger but can't turn it down.current is about 0.5A.In the photo I had it on the RGV battery which was a bit flat at 9v
Mine has two buttons to scroll thru the display settings and two potentiometers to adjust output voltage and current.
Can't get it to adjust the output on either.
No instructions with it, just what was on ebay advert but it was written in Chinglish and made no sense.

Might bin it and buy a proper bench power supply, around £30

User avatar
linuxrob
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, GS125. Z500 from new
Location: North East UK
Has Liked: 29 times
Been Liked: 37 times

Re: Honda SS125

#70 Post by linuxrob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi, no need for expensive PSU here is a link to the ebay one i use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-step-d ... 2749.l2649

It works great even from an iffy battery. you could even use the 5V charger as you will only need up to 2v to get the current you want (OHMS Law). It even remembers the voltage you set it to last time.

Left button is voltage up and right is voltage down, i can get a good current from 0.4 V to 1.5V depending on the surface area of the part, have found with the vinegar epsom salt mix at 30C 100mA (0.1A) per square inch of part is good, plate for 15 mins max and buff, degrease and plate again, do this a total of 3 or 4 times and it looks fine. I have now got some passivation chemicals to get the clear/blue, yellow and olive grab colours and better corrosion protection.

On the one you have try slowly adjusting the pots with NO OUTPUT LOAD first you just want to adjust voltage.

Good luck an always here to help.

Rob B

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#71 Post by Bianco2564 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:57 pm

linuxrob wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:43 pm
Hi, no need for expensive PSU here is a link to the ebay one i use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-step-d ... 2749.l2649

It works great even from an iffy battery. you could even use the 5V charger as you will only need up to 2v to get the current you want (OHMS Law). It even remembers the voltage you set it to last time.

Left button is voltage up and right is voltage down, i can get a good current from 0.4 V to 1.5V depending on the surface area of the part, have found with the vinegar epsom salt mix at 30C 100mA (0.1A) per square inch of part is good, plate for 15 mins max and buff, degrease and plate again, do this a total of 3 or 4 times and it looks fine. I have now got some passivation chemicals to get the clear/blue, yellow and olive grab colours and better corrosion protection.

On the one you have try slowly adjusting the pots with NO OUTPUT LOAD first you just want to adjust voltage.

Good luck an always here to help.

Rob B
Ok thanks, have ordered one :thumb:
Will be back in touch once it's arrived.

User avatar
linuxrob
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, GS125. Z500 from new
Location: North East UK
Has Liked: 29 times
Been Liked: 37 times

Re: Honda SS125

#72 Post by linuxrob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Nice one

rob B

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#73 Post by Bianco2564 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:08 pm

Side cover fitted ,points cleaned up, gap and timing set.
Clutch cable fitted and seems to work ok.
The last time I used it in 2000, the clutch slipped badly even when kicking over, now it kicks over ok and disengaged when clutch pulled in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#74 Post by Bianco2564 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Nice shiny new chain adjusters arrived today, all the way from David Silvers stock in the USA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bianco2564
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Location: Rugby
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 296 times

Re: Honda SS125

#75 Post by Bianco2564 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:49 pm

The kickstart on the SS is badly corroded so bought a pattern part from some pit bike, looks ok IMO.
Bought a used grab handle from the USA.
Fitted the new chain adjusters,old ones are really scabby.
Refitted footpeg and pillion pegs with new Clevis pins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.