Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

ER5 Engine Swap / Build

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Mickly
Subscriber
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 444 times

Re: ER5 Engine Swap / Build

Post by Mickly » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 am

fastbob wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 am
The good news is that there are loads of selector drums and whole gearboxes on eBay for very little money.
Don’t you wonder why that is ??
Not coz it’s a common problem and they’re all bolloxed is it .....
2020 challenge points

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has liked: 3079 times
Been liked: 2842 times

Post by fastbob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am

Mickly wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 am
fastbob wrote:
The good news is that there are loads of selector drums and whole gearboxes on eBay for very little money.
No I don't think so , if they are described as in good working order then I am fully protected by eBay,s returns policy anyway. Might not come to that, it could just be a bent selector fork . And failing that I've still got a good gearbox in my other engine . If I can sort this issue out I've got all winter to carry on working on this spare engine. I fancy a rebore and new pistons and maybe new valve springs . Meanwhile the bike is still rideable , its just got a lot of vibration due to the very slack primary chain . Why did Kawasaki favour primary chains anyway ? Everything is close enough together to be gear driven so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me . ( you not off to this rally then ? )

Mickly
Subscriber
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 444 times

Post by Mickly » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am

fastbob wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am
Mickly wrote:
fastbob wrote:
No I don't think so , if they are described as in good working order then I am fully protected by eBay,s returns policy anyway. Might not come to that, it could just be a bent selector fork . And failing that I've still got a good gearbox in my other engine . If I can sort this issue out I've got all winter to carry on working on this spare engine. I fancy a rebore and new pistons and maybe new valve springs . Meanwhile the bike is still rideable , its just got a lot of vibration due to the very slack primary chain . Why did Kawasaki favour primary chains anyway ? Everything is close enough together to be gear driven so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me . ( you not off to this rally then ? )
Did consider going to the rally but step son is just out of hospital following a major op, Missus is a nervous wreck and I need to be on hand in case he needs her or needs a lift anywhere - was in A&E with him for 5 hours last Sunday as his catheter got blocked and started bleeding 🤢
2020 challenge points

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Mickly wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am
fastbob wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am
Mickly wrote:

Did consider going to the rally but step son is just out of hospital following a major op, Missus is a nervous wreck and I need to be on hand in case he needs her or needs a lift anywhere - was in A&E with him for 5 hours last Sunday as his catheter got blocked and started bleeding 🤢
We'll I wish him a speedy recovery.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 am
Nah - Bob's just thinking how much cat food you could have bought for the price of a chunk of metal.

If you're doing a take it bits, put it back together, hide the bits left over thread - then lots of piccies please. I love engine builds.
I've put some pictures in my latest update .

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Ok so having spent most of Saturday attending the rally I've been making up for lost time today . I've done everything necessary before splitting the crankcase right down to the last few bolts . But before I took the plunge I decided to have another play around with the gearbox . Now that I have got the starter motor chain off and all the clutch plates out I can spin the gearbox more freely . And lo and behold it it now goes up and down through the f*****g gears ! Not only that I can actually see it happening ! So my original assumption that the seller had mistakenly determined that the gear box was knackered may yet prove to be correct after all ! Happy days 😊 I'm going to sit and look at it for a while but I'm fairly sure that I'm about to bolt it all up again , flip it over and concentrate on the top end instead .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 pm

So everything is going good , I've got a working gear box after all , tight primary chain, and the cam chain is also good . Cam lobes aren't pitted and everything rotates quietly and smoothly. At this stage I can find nothing to suggest that this bike was scrapped due to engine issues. The final job will be the barrels and pistons . I will probably go for a light hone and new rings as a matter of course. I may also lap the valves and even replace the springs if necessary. I'm not going to start this until I have a gasket set so in the meantime I have been tidying up the exterior.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 pm

I made my own alternator gasket this evening, took a while but I have to say I'm quite chuffed with myself . Now all I have to buy is a cylinder base gasket and a head gasket instead of a full set . If anyone wants to know how its done , let me know . I couldn't find a cornflakes packet so I had to use gasket paper instead. 😉

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:53 am

Just doing a bit more smartening up . Why the red filler cap ? Nostalgia, my first ever bike , a CB 175 , had one . It also had a red starter motor so I might paint that as well.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Ok. I bit the bullet and pulled the head and barrels off . Not too bad , a bit of carbon , no scoring just a very shiny set of bores , no broken rings , no detectable play in the big ends and no internal rust . Happy days ! A light hone and new rings and away we go , a perfectly sound engine for £50 . EDIT : I must have not been looking too hard when I originally wrote this . There was a broken ring and there was also a stuck top ring . The second rings were hammered into a T section shape which suggests that these were of a low standard and not genuine Kawasaki parts. So perhaps this engine was a smoker and down on power. Anyway I've now got new genuine rings in freshly honed bores so I have every expectation that this engine will be a good runner.
Last edited by fastbob on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Via
Bike(s): Sinnis Max II / ER5
Has liked: 699 times
Been liked: 543 times

Post by Via » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Coming along nicely :thumb:

Decided what you'll be doing with it yet once finished?
Hoggs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 pm

Via wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 pm
Coming along nicely :thumb:

Decided what you'll be doing with it yet once finished?
Yeah, I'm going to stick it in the ER5 and then sell the older engine. I've already got a buyer who wants it for a GPZ 500 , well bits of it anyway. All is not quite well, I've just found a broken ring and a gummed up ring on one piston so perhaps this was the reason the donor bike came to be broken. Maybe it was a smoker or then again maybe nobody noticed anything wrong. No worries I'll get some new rings and turn it over to a local engine shop for a hone . If they reckon anything is beyond refurbishment there are loads of ER5 barrels and pistons on eBay that can be worked on . Leg alright ?

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:56 am

Just watched a few YouTube videos and now I'm going to buy a set of stones and hone it myself using a drill. I freed the stuck ring and the piston seems ok .

Mr Fro
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 820 times

Post by Mr Fro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:27 am

fastbob wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:56 am
Just watched a few YouTube videos and now I'm going to buy a set of stones and hone it myself using a drill. I freed the stuck ring and the piston seems ok .
Does it actually need a hone?

If there aren't any ridges or what have you then just a little tickle with the stones to "break the glaze" should do.

Via
Bike(s): Sinnis Max II / ER5
Has liked: 699 times
Been liked: 543 times

Post by Via » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 am

Cool, that's joys of projects like this you can take time and try stuff you've never done before :thumb:

Leg ok cheers getting there slowly.
Hoggs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey

Return to “Old Motorbikes, Projects and Restorations”