ER5 Engine Swap / Build

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Mickly
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Challenge Score: 240
Has Liked: 183 times
Been Liked: 437 times

Re: ER5 Engine Swap / Build

#16 Post by Mickly » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 am

fastbob wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 am
The good news is that there are loads of selector drums and whole gearboxes on eBay for very little money.
Don’t you wonder why that is ??
Not coz it’s a common problem and they’re all bolloxed is it .....
2019 challenge points
Pubs: 9/10 - 90
Dealerships: 9/10 - 90
West Midlands: 6/12 - 60

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has Liked: 2747 times
Been Liked: 2428 times

#17 Post by fastbob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am

Mickly wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 am
fastbob wrote:
The good news is that there are loads of selector drums and whole gearboxes on eBay for very little money.
No I don't think so , if they are described as in good working order then I am fully protected by eBay,s returns policy anyway. Might not come to that, it could just be a bent selector fork . And failing that I've still got a good gearbox in my other engine . If I can sort this issue out I've got all winter to carry on working on this spare engine. I fancy a rebore and new pistons and maybe new valve springs . Meanwhile the bike is still rideable , its just got a lot of vibration due to the very slack primary chain . Why did Kawasaki favour primary chains anyway ? Everything is close enough together to be gear driven so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me . ( you not off to this rally then ? )

Mickly
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Challenge Score: 240
Has Liked: 183 times
Been Liked: 437 times

#18 Post by Mickly » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am

fastbob wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am
Mickly wrote:
fastbob wrote:
No I don't think so , if they are described as in good working order then I am fully protected by eBay,s returns policy anyway. Might not come to that, it could just be a bent selector fork . And failing that I've still got a good gearbox in my other engine . If I can sort this issue out I've got all winter to carry on working on this spare engine. I fancy a rebore and new pistons and maybe new valve springs . Meanwhile the bike is still rideable , its just got a lot of vibration due to the very slack primary chain . Why did Kawasaki favour primary chains anyway ? Everything is close enough together to be gear driven so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me . ( you not off to this rally then ? )
Did consider going to the rally but step son is just out of hospital following a major op, Missus is a nervous wreck and I need to be on hand in case he needs her or needs a lift anywhere - was in A&E with him for 5 hours last Sunday as his catheter got blocked and started bleeding 🤢
2019 challenge points
Pubs: 9/10 - 90
Dealerships: 9/10 - 90
West Midlands: 6/12 - 60

fastbob

#19 Post by fastbob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Mickly wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am
fastbob wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am
Mickly wrote:

Did consider going to the rally but step son is just out of hospital following a major op, Missus is a nervous wreck and I need to be on hand in case he needs her or needs a lift anywhere - was in A&E with him for 5 hours last Sunday as his catheter got blocked and started bleeding 🤢
We'll I wish him a speedy recovery.

fastbob

#20 Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 am
Nah - Bob's just thinking how much cat food you could have bought for the price of a chunk of metal.

If you're doing a take it bits, put it back together, hide the bits left over thread - then lots of piccies please. I love engine builds.
I've put some pictures in my latest update .

fastbob

#21 Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Ok so having spent most of Saturday attending the rally I've been making up for lost time today . I've done everything necessary before splitting the crankcase right down to the last few bolts . But before I took the plunge I decided to have another play around with the gearbox . Now that I have got the starter motor chain off and all the clutch plates out I can spin the gearbox more freely . And lo and behold it it now goes up and down through the f*****g gears ! Not only that I can actually see it happening ! So my original assumption that the seller had mistakenly determined that the gear box was knackered may yet prove to be correct after all ! Happy days 😊 I'm going to sit and look at it for a while but I'm fairly sure that I'm about to bolt it all up again , flip it over and concentrate on the top end instead .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob

#22 Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 pm

So everything is going good , I've got a working gear box after all , tight primary chain, and the cam chain is also good . Cam lobes aren't pitted and everything rotates quietly and smoothly. At this stage I can find nothing to suggest that this bike was scrapped due to engine issues. The final job will be the barrels and pistons . I will probably go for a light hone and new rings as a matter of course. I may also lap the valves and even replace the springs if necessary. I'm not going to start this until I have a gasket set so in the meantime I have been tidying up the exterior.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob

#23 Post by fastbob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 pm

I made my own alternator gasket this evening, took a while but I have to say I'm quite chuffed with myself . Now all I have to buy is a cylinder base gasket and a head gasket instead of a full set . If anyone wants to know how its done , let me know . I couldn't find a cornflakes packet so I had to use gasket paper instead. 😉

fastbob

#24 Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:53 am

Just doing a bit more smartening up . Why the red filler cap ? Nostalgia, my first ever bike , a CB 175 , had one . It also had a red starter motor so I might paint that as well.

fastbob

#25 Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Ok. I bit the bullet and pulled the head and barrels off . Not too bad , a bit of carbon , no scoring just a very shiny set of bores , no broken rings , no detectable play in the big ends and no internal rust . Happy days ! A light hone and new rings and away we go , a perfectly sound engine for £50 . EDIT : I must have not been looking too hard when I originally wrote this . There was a broken ring and there was also a stuck top ring . The second rings were hammered into a T section shape which suggests that these were of a low standard and not genuine Kawasaki parts. So perhaps this engine was a smoker and down on power. Anyway I've now got new genuine rings in freshly honed bores so I have every expectation that this engine will be a good runner.
Last edited by fastbob on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Via
Bike(s): Sinnis Max II / ER5
Has Liked: 731 times
Been Liked: 555 times

#26 Post by Via » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Coming along nicely :thumb:

Decided what you'll be doing with it yet once finished?
Hoggs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey

fastbob

#27 Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 pm

Via wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 pm
Coming along nicely :thumb:

Decided what you'll be doing with it yet once finished?
Yeah, I'm going to stick it in the ER5 and then sell the older engine. I've already got a buyer who wants it for a GPZ 500 , well bits of it anyway. All is not quite well, I've just found a broken ring and a gummed up ring on one piston so perhaps this was the reason the donor bike came to be broken. Maybe it was a smoker or then again maybe nobody noticed anything wrong. No worries I'll get some new rings and turn it over to a local engine shop for a hone . If they reckon anything is beyond refurbishment there are loads of ER5 barrels and pistons on eBay that can be worked on . Leg alright ?

fastbob

#28 Post by fastbob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:56 am

Just watched a few YouTube videos and now I'm going to buy a set of stones and hone it myself using a drill. I freed the stuck ring and the piston seems ok .

Mr Fro
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has Liked: 35 times
Been Liked: 993 times

#29 Post by Mr Fro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:27 am

fastbob wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:56 am
Just watched a few YouTube videos and now I'm going to buy a set of stones and hone it myself using a drill. I freed the stuck ring and the piston seems ok .
Does it actually need a hone?

If there aren't any ridges or what have you then just a little tickle with the stones to "break the glaze" should do.

Via
Bike(s): Sinnis Max II / ER5
Has Liked: 731 times
Been Liked: 555 times

#30 Post by Via » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 am

Cool, that's joys of projects like this you can take time and try stuff you've never done before :thumb:

Leg ok cheers getting there slowly.
Hoggs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey