Unknown frame

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
SamB

Unknown frame

#1 Post by SamB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I got a frame a couple of weeks ago but I'm not too sure as to who manufactured it, I was thinking possibly Matchless/AJS because there’s a tank bracket/fitting which is pretty typical of them but I’m not certain. It's a bolt on hardtail section and the front frame doesn’t split into two. From what I can decipher the numbers on the downtube, which would be directly under the saddle, read 23 then directly below that is 82/18462. The frame is fairly small, probably capable of fitting a 250 or so engine in. I've tried to look for models with similar frames but I haven't found any that have the engine/front frame sitting lower than the bottom hardtail mount. I know it’s not much to go on but any help or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated. Sorry there’s no pictures, I’m not too sure how to upload them yet. Cheers!

Sam

SamB

Re: Unknown frame

#2 Post by SamB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:05 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Has Liked: 1890 times
Been Liked: 1416 times

#3 Post by fastbob » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Are you certain that this is actually whole frame as produced by a bike manufacturer or could this be a hybrid left over from the 60s and 70s craze for trying to turn anything into a chopper ? In other words does the hardtail actually belong to the original frame ? The single front down tube is not unusual but the way it remains as a single tube under the engine is . What are you planning to do with it ?

Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 1741 times
Been Liked: 1514 times

#4 Post by Joeman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:16 am

Similar to a BSA bantam rigid frame.. engine mounts are different though
SmartSelect_20181013-071651_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SamB

#5 Post by SamB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:59 pm

fastbob wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:17 pm
Are you certain that this is actually whole frame as produced by a bike manufacturer or could this be a hybrid left over from the 60s and 70s craze for trying to turn anything into a chopper ? In other words does the hardtail actually belong to the original frame ? The single front down tube is not unusual but the way it remains as a single tube under the engine is . What are you planning to do with it ?
I’m not too sure if the hardtail actually belongs to the frame to be honest, I got it from someone who didn’t know anything about it, the hardtail definitely seems to be the same age as the rest of the frame though.

I’ve not got much planned for it as of yet. Cheers!