Kawasaki Z500 B2 1980 refurb after 78260 miles

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
linuxrob
Bike(s): Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, GS125. Z500 from new
Has Liked: 36 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Ignition switch clean and repaint

#16 Post by linuxrob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Just a quick one so to speak.

Gave the ignition switch a clean and repaint.
Before:
Ig Switch before.JPG
Out with smaller JIS screwdrivers, clean and strip
Ig Switch all before.JPG
The contact assembly was fun to do and glad i remembered my dad's advice, "if you strip anything unknown and may have springs and small bits in always take it apart in a box"

sure enough BOING when the assembly was removed the small springs made a good bid to escape but were caught in the box Phew!!
Cleaned switch body masked and a light and then medium coat of satin black, next day 2 wet coats of satin lacquer.

switch assembly carefully assembled and greased, connections cleaned greased and tested in all modes, even the stearing lock works smoother now.

Rebuilt
100_2838.JPG
100_2841.JPG
Possibly clocks (gauges for our cousins over the pond) next.

Rob B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

linuxrob

Re: Kawasaki Z500 B2 1980 refurb after 78260 miles

#17 Post by linuxrob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting, got a new job :thumb:

Done quite a lot since Christmas break.

January 2019 update on the Z500 refurb.

It was June 2018 when I fished out the Spare wheels for Z500 number 2 from the back of the shed and hoped to get them fully done to speed up the refurb of Z500 number one. I did wash the wheels and de crud the disc and sprocket carrier but that was as far as I got.

Rear wheel before
Rear wheek sprocket side.JPG
Rear wheek brake side.JPG
Wheels, rear disc, carrier and spindle from spare back wheel before.

Rear disc and bolts before
Rear disc and bolts before.JPG
Rear Spindle and chain adjusters before
Rear Spindle and chain adjusters before.JPG
These spare wheels have not done many road miles and are in fairly good condition. When Z500 number one had it's 44000 mile strip and clean over winter 82 - 83 all the bolts were cadmium plated, but Z500 number two was complete but under large amounts of polythene outside so missed out.

First off was the rear disc, did not look too bad so got as much of the hard paint or what ever Mr Kawasaki put on these off and spent a nice half hour masking the rotor off

2 light coats of primer later
Rear disc masked and primed-2.JPG
Rear disc back masked and primed.JPG
U-Pol satin black with Halfords gloss lacquer
Rear disc satin black with gloss lacquer.JPG
Not too happy with the finish. It's a bit too glossy so will satin lacquer over the top when the weather warns up.

The hub carrier was quite chipped and while out checked the drive bearing, one rough patch so out it came followed by taking the sprocket off, you may be able to see from the pic that the right retaining washer had split, intend to plate these like I did on the GS 125 but will order some replica ones to finish it off. Learned from the disc hub to just use satin paint on this.

fitted it up temp for this pic
Sprocket hub painted.JPG
see next post for plating the spindle etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has Liked: 2559 times
Been Liked: 2157 times

#18 Post by fastbob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 pm

I have to agree , gloss black just doesn't do the trick . No matter how well it's applied it just seems to draw attention to any imperfections . Satin black , on the other hand, makes everything look just right. Nice work so far . 👍

linuxrob

#19 Post by linuxrob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm

I would love to get the stuff that they put on in the factory. The Techcote stuff and U-Pol are quite near. May try some Simoniz tough black in satin when my supplies run out.

Have a lot to post re this build and it is coming together nicely.

Cheers
Rob

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has Liked: 2559 times
Been Liked: 2157 times

#20 Post by fastbob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm

linuxrob wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm
I would love to get the stuff that they put on in the factory. The Techcote stuff and U-Pol are quite near. May try some Simoniz tough black in satin when my supplies run out.

Have a lot to post re this build and it is coming together nicely.

Cheers
Rob
I've used PJ1 Satin Black in the past . It's very good stuff but to honest it was made even more attractive by the fact that I got a generous staff discount . 😆 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2540197789 sorry that's the wrong one but at least it's still available .

linuxrob

#21 Post by linuxrob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:34 pm

January 2019 update cont'd
Plated the spindle, bolts etc from the back wheel.
a quick reminder how they looked
Rear Spindle and chain adjusters before.JPG
Rear disc and bolts before.JPG
Buffed the old plating and corrosion of the parts and over the course of 2 days. Plated all the hardware and fasteners. My current plating tank is only 3 litres and OK for most stuff but the spindle will not fit in it's entirety. To make things easy for myself I will only replate the ends, the middle part has only slight corrosion and is after all coated in grease so this should be no problem.

So how to support the spindle to plate only the ends? I came up with this, which even though is the MK 1 version it worked.
Spindle holder MK 1.JPG
I used a G-Clamp on a convenient shelf with the spindle hung with stiff wire round the nut head to do the threaded part, and to do the other end as you can see via the split pin hole. I could have just screwed on the nut and hung both ends the same way but was plating the nut as well.

Spindle all finished. Noted that I must have used a none standard bolt for one side of the chain adjusters, the std one has a point at the end of the 8 mm x 50 mm set bolt to fit into the adjuster stopper (these are common to a lot of Kawasak's from KH250 possibly earlier up to Z750). Also as an interesting point ( Anorak Alert ) the across the flats size on these rear chain bolts / nuts and on the small 8 mm x 35 mm chain adjuster stopper upset- bolts (no idea why.....I've treat them well over the years!) are 13 mm not the usual J.I.S. 12 mm. So can replace the other side with a Stainless bolt and half nut and grind a point on the bolt end.

Spindle Done
rear spindle done.JPG
Temp fitted together
disc side done.JPG
Plated the sprocket bolts and nuts too. Will post a completed shot when I've fitted the bearing. Oddly enough (Another Anorak Alert) the Z500 having a disc brake at the rear has a completely different sprocket carrier to the Z550 models even the 1981 GPZ550D1 with rear disc is different, this is the same unit fitted to Z500 B3, I do not think the UK got these. The Z500 B1-B2 uses 4 bolts to secure the sprocket and a 6205 hub bearing while the 550's use a 6 bolt arrangement and a 6305 hub bearing very similar to the Z650 drum and disc braked models. IIRC the later 650's had a 6206 hub bearing. Z400J, Z500, and 550's use the same rear wheel bearings 6303.

Rob B

linuxrob

#22 Post by linuxrob » Mon May 06, 2019 2:32 pm

March 2019 update

Wiring loom

The most damaged part the loom is the multiplug socket (frame side) from the alternator to the regulator rectifier. My own fault really, I noticed about 25 years ago that there must be a bit of a high resistance joint on one of the 2 yellow wires, the 2 from the alternator, in this 4 wire multiplug. I just cleaned it up and applied some more di-electric grease. The bike has always maintained a good charge so I must now have a good connection. No!
05-RR Socket damage-3.JPG
and this is the plug (RR side)
01-RR plug damage.JPG
Some of these oem style connectors are available from the net including Zed-Parts.com
https://www.zed-parts.com/product-page/ ... lock-large
Would do the job and if was really lucky be able to mod the plastic bits to accept a std RR or for a std RR to plug into my loom.
But no, I would like to repair my old connectors just to see if it was possible. I already have some 6.3 mm male and female brass connectors. After photographing and making wiring diagrams for the plug and socket spent a whole hour removing the old burnt and corroded connectors from the plug and socket and scrubbing them as clean as possible.

The state of the old connectors
09-Old connectors after removal.JPG
There was a small length of the worst yellow wire were the insulation was hard so cut down as far as good wire and trimmed the other 3 to the same length, ended up losing 20 mm of wire, no problem.
Crimped, soldered then heat shrinked the wires to the new connectors.
01-Socket connectors crimp-solderd.JPG
04-Plug connectors crimp-solder in progress.JPG
Installed into the cleaned up plug and socket.
06-Plug connectors in-2.JPG
08-New connectors in not repaired-2.JPG
Had a thought how to fix that gaping hole. Thanks to a post on TheMotorbikeForum from a user called malt_vinegar who was using this stuff called Whitemorph to repair fairing tabs on his CBR125.
vie ... 87&t=69265
It is a themoplastic, heat in water above 60C and the granuals melt, then form the now clear stuff into shape or in my case into the socket and let it cool and set. I ordered 100g of the stuff from manufacturers ebay page for £3.99 and had a go.

Not much time to work on the melted stuff (use kitchen gloves it hot) about 20 seconds out the the hot water and it's pretty much set. You can add more as it does stick to its self as well as the socket, make a mess and just place in hot water and try again. I filled most of the gap and insulated between the bottom 2 connectors and even added some to the top wire ends as extra waterproofing.

Done before trimming
11-Connectors done but not trimmed-2.JPG
after
13-Connectors finnished-2.JPG
15-Connectors finnished-5.JPG
After a continuity and insulation resistance test ready to fit.

Rob B
Last edited by linuxrob on Mon May 06, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has Liked: 1076 times
Been Liked: 729 times

#23 Post by geofferz » Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 pm

Cool! Must've missed this first time.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

linuxrob

#24 Post by linuxrob » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:20 pm

April update

Rear Brakes.
The last time the rear caliper got fully stripped, sand blasted and painted was 1983. The bike had 43000 miles at the time and was having what I thought to be it's half life rebuild. This time I did not have the luxury of my works beadblaster so resorted to my trusty wire wheels, wet and dry and elbow grease.
1-Complete as removed.jpg
2-Master cylinder.JPG
That stuff on the master cylinder pipe is the remains of a latex glove if you want to know..

Caliper easily stripped and pistons blown out. Some corrosion but cleaned up.
Right side corrosion
8-Rear right cylinder corrosion.JPG.JPG
Left side
5-Rear left cylinder corrosion.JPG
Right piston
9-Rear right piston corrosion.JPG
left piston
6-Rear left piston corrosion.JPG
The pistons and calipers cleaned up easy with 2000 wet and dry followed by Autosol.

The master cylinder clip, stop and piston assembly were removed and the lot just fitted in my 1.3 ltr ultrasonic cleaner where it stayed for 30mins at 50C. Inspection showed no damage to either rubbers or bore, good job as the replacement kit for this master cylinder is nearly £80. So a blow out and reassembly with red rubber grease then primed with new brake fluid and bunged.

Both caliper halves took the best part of the day with various wire wheels (steel and brass) to remove all the old paint, it was old school PJ1 done in 1983 and held up well.
Day 2, wet and dried the casting smooth and 30mins each side in the cleaner
Day 3, masked and a light coat of etch primer followed at 30 min intervals with 2 light coats of Techcote Satin Black.
Day 4, more 2000 wet and dry and 2 medium coats and 2 wet coats of Satin Black.

Had to wait a few days before I could cure them fully in the oven (guess why?) 190C for 40 mins from a cold oven and left in to cool slow. Lovely finnish and should last well without a satin clear coat.

There are many places to get seals with various prices and quality, I went for a full seal kit from Powerhouse Automotive (UK) Ltd's Ebay shop at £22.90, they do a kit with stainless steel pistons included for around £65.00 if my 78000 mile ones had not been in spec. Thankfully I cleaned my brakes regular and change fluid too.

Plated the 2 master cylinder mount bolts (M8 x 30mm flanged) and banjo bolts bright zinc, the caliper bolts (M10 x 45 socket head) olive drab together with the bleed nipple. The seal kit comes with a new nipple but this is yellow passivated and need an 8mm spanner where the factory one need a 10mm spanner and mine is in good condition.
Laid out the bits for a photoshoot before assembly
1-all parts to assemble.JPG
Fitted the new seals and dust covers
5-New seals fitted.JPG
Rear wheel back out and caliper fitted
6-Rear caliper fitted.JPG
And master cylinder
7-Rear master cylinder fitted.JPG
I may replate the banjo bolts olive drab when I get my braided hoses. I would love to refit my now 40 year old pipes (stamped 09/79) but even with no physical signs of damage I will not take chances with brakes. Any one recommend a good kit? Hel, Goodridge ....

Regards to all
Rob B
Rear view detail.JPG