ZX6R Steering bearings

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Message
Author
User avatar
Asbo41
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 98 zx6r
Location: Daventry
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 46 times

ZX6R Steering bearings

#1 Post by Asbo41 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:29 pm

Finally got rid of my little steering "divet" totally changed the low speed handling.
Old ones (pic) were worn,rusted and wet :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current bike..
1998 ZX6R streetfighter (Asbo)
Old bikes...
VT250
DT125
440LTD
SV650S

User avatar
Tiggie
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Location: Bingley, West Yorkshire
Has Liked: 238 times
Been Liked: 336 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#2 Post by Tiggie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 pm

I've never tried using marmite as a bearing grease. Does it work well? :lol:
I'm an idiot who puts up Christmas lights in November

User avatar
Asbo41
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 98 zx6r
Location: Daventry
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#3 Post by Asbo41 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Tiggie wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 pm
I've never tried using marmite as a bearing grease. Does it work well? :lol:
You'll either love it or hate it
Current bike..
1998 ZX6R streetfighter (Asbo)
Old bikes...
VT250
DT125
440LTD
SV650S

User avatar
Tango
Moderator
Posts: 14661
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 10:54 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Location: Huntingdon, Cambs
Challenge Score: 20
Has Liked: 1633 times
Been Liked: 1235 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#4 Post by Tango » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Sometimes you don't realise how bad the old head bearings are, until you put new ones in...... 8-)
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

User avatar
Asbo41
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 98 zx6r
Location: Daventry
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#5 Post by Asbo41 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Tango wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Sometimes you don't realise how bad the old head bearings are, until you put new ones in...... 8-)
It's totally changed the old girl. Forks next :?
Current bike..
1998 ZX6R streetfighter (Asbo)
Old bikes...
VT250
DT125
440LTD
SV650S

fastbob
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2189 times
Been Liked: 1663 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#6 Post by fastbob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Asbo41 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:15 pm
Tango wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Sometimes you don't realise how bad the old head bearings are, until you put new ones in...... 8-)
It's totally changed the old girl. Forks next :?
Did it have a notch or were they just stiff , in other words what prompted you to do it ?

User avatar
Asbo41
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 98 zx6r
Location: Daventry
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#7 Post by Asbo41 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm

fastbob wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm
Asbo41 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:15 pm
Tango wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Sometimes you don't realise how bad the old head bearings are, until you put new ones in...... 8-)
It's totally changed the old girl. Forks next :?
Did it have a notch or were they just stiff , in other words what prompted you to do it ?
I had a notch,right in the centre, and in slow traffic the front wheel wondered. Was really unsettling.
Current bike..
1998 ZX6R streetfighter (Asbo)
Old bikes...
VT250
DT125
440LTD
SV650S

fastbob
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2189 times
Been Liked: 1663 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#8 Post by fastbob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Asbo41 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm
fastbob wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm
Asbo41 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:15 pm


It's totally changed the old girl. Forks next :?
Did it have a notch or were they just stiff , in other words what prompted you to do it ?
I had a notch,right in the centre, and in slow traffic the front wheel wondered. Was really unsettling.
Thanks for that , I'm going to replace my steering head bearings ! 👍

User avatar
Asbo41
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 98 zx6r
Location: Daventry
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#9 Post by Asbo41 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:37 pm

fastbob wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 pm
Asbo41 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm
fastbob wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm


Did it have a notch or were they just stiff , in other words what prompted you to do it ?
I had a notch,right in the centre, and in slow traffic the front wheel wondered. Was really unsettling.
Thanks for that , I'm going to replace my steering head bearings ! 👍
No problem. Good luck with it
Current bike..
1998 ZX6R streetfighter (Asbo)
Old bikes...
VT250
DT125
440LTD
SV650S

User avatar
Hoggs
Moderator
Posts: 8245
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:58 pm
Gender: Female
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Location: North London
Has Liked: 3082 times
Been Liked: 2444 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#10 Post by Hoggs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Asbo41 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm
I had a notch,right in the centre, and in slow traffic the front wheel wondered. Was really unsettling.
I had the same thing! my head stock was.... butcheted though :crybaby:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NOT SIGNED UP FOR THE 2019 CHALLENGE?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68681

ImageStopping you having fun since 2017

User avatar
Asbo41
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 98 zx6r
Location: Daventry
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Re: ZX6R Steering bearings

#11 Post by Asbo41 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 am

Hoggs wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:35 pm
Asbo41 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm
I had a notch,right in the centre, and in slow traffic the front wheel wondered. Was really unsettling.
I had the same thing! my head stock was.... butcheted though :crybaby:
Ouch. They look like downward hit marks, Is that where they've seated the bottom bearing?
Current bike..
1998 ZX6R streetfighter (Asbo)
Old bikes...
VT250
DT125
440LTD
SV650S