New project, Suzuki gsx 750 f

It's been a while since I was on here, a few years I think as my address was set to Essex and I'm now in Lancashire.

Anyway after stupidly selling my two year build of my Honda bros I know need a project to fill the gap, I have finally decided to start another project and hopefully keep it this time.

I have just bought a 1998 Suzuki gsx 750f. Needs quite a bit of work but as long as the engine is good, I'm happy to do everything else. I'm due to pick it up Sunday so pictures will follow.

Paul

Good luck with the project . If I am being very honest I would have to say that it wouldn't be my choice as a project mainly because no matter how much work you do , most of the bike is hidden by plastic. Nonetheless I will follow the build with interest and if there's any advice I can offer as an ex GSXR 1100 owner I would be delighted to help .

Thank you. I know exactly what you mean. I chose the bros as a project due to the fact you could see all your hard work. The Suzuki, never owned one but I do quite like the look of it and £260 it has to be worth a tinker with :D

Thank you. I know exactly what you mean. I chose the bros as a project due to the fact you could see all your hard work. The Suzuki, never owned one but I do quite like the look of it and £260 it has to be worth a tinker with :D

£260 ! Ah well that's a very big plus . Talking of which , I haven't got any projects on the horizon . I'm kind of regretting selling that Aprilia now . Something will turn up hopefully.

Yes definitely worth a go for the price. It's been in a garage for two years. So far I know it needs forks as the current are pitted with rust quite a bit. It needs the brakes stripping which is something I'd do anyway and new chain and sprockets. The engine is showing signs of oxidisation so needs a good clean. Apart from that I'm not sure what else until I get it. First thing I want to do is change the oil and filter so I can see if it runs okay before I start to spend on it.

To be honest I didn't plan to get another project. Not because I didn't want one but running my business is seven days a week so I don't get a lot of free time. Needless to say, this may well be a slow project.

I'm sure something will take your fancy in the near future as a next project. As for regrets selling them off, I'm the same and not planning to sell anymore after putting in all the hard work.

Do you have a vision of the finished bike yet ? ( Cafe/rat/ standard spec etc)

I look forward to seeing the results.

I was gonna do a 750f but the bike was so far gone and used parts so overpriced at the time I have up n sold it for parts to a guy who'd just dropped his one.

Good luck dude 👍

I was gonna do a 750f but the bike was so far gone and used parts so overpriced at the time I have up n sold it for parts to a guy who'd just dropped his one.

Good luck dude 👍

I think standard to be honest. I do like the style so I'll get it all up and running and see where the build takes me. As for parts, they are still quite expensive compared to parts for my other builds. Thank you :D

Good luck dude 👍

The issue with the GSX is that unlike the GSXR,s of that era it doesn't have the prettiest of frames and therefore does not lend itself to the naked or Street fighter style of customisation.

PhotoEditor_20190621_190304993.thumb.jpg.5480e77ad311353505db4a3f453672dc.jpg

A M Philpot for the forks .

Cheers. I'll look into that. Not sure how bad they are but as it was mentioned in the ad, they must be pretty bad.

Cheers. I'll look into that. Not sure how bad they are but as it was mentioned in the ad, they must be pretty bad.

They can do anything . They will hard chrome to slightly over size and then machine back to a beautiful finish . They can also do a rebuild and re seal . I had my first GSXR,s forks done and it was money well spent. ( Not my last one , the one before )

They can do anything . They will hard chrome to slightly over size and then machine back to a beautiful finish . They can also do a rebuild and re seal . I had my first GSXR,s forks done and it was money well spent. ( Not my last one , the one before )

Sounds good. I'll make some enquiries once I have the bike. What price are you looking at to have the forks done?

Sounds good. I'll make some enquiries once I have the bike. What price are you looking at to have the forks done?

I used them recently.

I stripped the forks and had them rechrome / grind the tubes.

Cost £185 including shipping.

They also had a solution to the fact that these particular forks had captive shuttle valves.

For them to do the strip down, seals etc it’s best to get in touch with them direct for a quote.

I used them recently.

I stripped the forks and had them rechrome / grind the tubes.

Cost £185 including shipping.

They also had a solution to the fact that these particular forks had captive shuttle valves.

For them to do the strip down, seals etc it’s best to get in touch with them direct for a quote.

That's pretty amazing ! I'm sure I paid £170 for a strip , chrome , seals and rebuild including postage BUT that was fifteen years ago !

IMG_20190624_135146.thumb.jpg.10f0acc6594d2d0ad92b2c35c0e96aca.jpg

Well here it is. Thank I have my work cut out. Im okay when i buy a box of bits as I know where to start. I'm struggling to decide where to start at the moment. As yo can see it needs a good clean so I can see the extent of corrosion etc. I think I'll get a good degreaser and clean it up. The engine is oxidised so that's going to take some cleaning. The forks are done for due to rust. It needs a battery, oil dropping. Carbs cleaning etc before I can see if it starts. On the plus side, all plastics, tank and all removable metal parts were removed and painted so these are all good..

Headers need a good clean up but exhaust looks in dirty but good condition.

It needs new brake pipes. Calipers need stripping etc etc etc.

Lol, I must be mad

IMG_20190624_135125.thumb.jpg.d6bf4f90ec6b0b6ab31b78d73236c256.jpg

IMG_20190624_135113.thumb.jpg.8a5eb07510b1b02e0e419e70266fb191.jpg

IMG_20190624_135059.thumb.jpg.e8cfd743fa5430edb0178587aa3bc1e6.jpg

IMG_20190624_135038.thumb.jpg.51cc054802c6de6f6261ad141b971c9f.jpg

IMG_20190624_135026.thumb.jpg.d8da3db282af467a84a7084421a9ec39.jpg

IMG_20190624_135013.thumb.jpg.1200bfef3c590367aed4792b7fb2b2f1.jpg

IMG_20190624_135003.thumb.jpg.818e372ea655700d682148d5df2ee4b9.jpg

Nah , all projects seem daunting at first because you want to do everything all at once . Have a look at Wollyjumpers BMW Ultima restoration thread for inspiration . One piece at a time . ( That was a song by Johnny Cash by the way ) Google luck .

Nah , all projects seem daunting at first because you want to do everything all at once . Have a look at Wollyjumpers BMW Ultima restoration thread for inspiration . One piece at a time . ( That was a song by Johnny Cash by the way ) Google luck .

Ha ha, that's exactly right. I do want to do it all at once. I'll get there with it. Like I said, first thing is to clean it up and see what's under the grime.

FB_IMG_1561392268495.thumb.jpg.e5178668b68f2f1332c3f2d35f8d371d.jpgFB_IMG_1561392330732.jpg.928932d515b2674dbb2e984201245226.jpgFB_IMG_1561392322999.jpg.164477f1c826caa6289f4baae0c60237.jpg

I bought my Honda bros in bits, over two years before I got that near to finish. That said. I was maybe a bit too fussy with that as I replaced most of the bolts to nice shiny ones.

Top job !

Thank you. I'd never even seen one before so it was an impulse buy. Turned out to be a very nice bike.

Just ordered a biketek bench/lift. Getting too old to be kneeling on the floor :lol: it will make doing this so much easier.

pdslift03bike.jpg.9a8d1773b9aba5d0e3a1ea4785a27e02.jpg

I just bought this one. Bought from demon tweeks but I'd never buy from them again, terrible customer service.

It's currently still in its crate in my garage just waiting for me to sort the garage out.