Suzuki rgv250 ,rebuild ,anyone on here own one ?

Bought as a bare frame and lots of boxes

Engines complete at least and was running

As I didnt take it apart its a struggle to make sure each bolt is the correct one

Hoping someone on here has one and some decent pictures of it or has one stripped down a little ,fairings off etc

Cheers

Matt

Yay, another RGV :thumb: :thumb:

Yes I have a VJ22, owned it for 6 years and much like you bought as a pile of parts.

There is a dedicated RGV forum run by a guy called Sean who owns a company called The Tuning Works, he sells almost everything for them.

Had my barrels replated by him last year.

Got plenty of pics of it in various states of build.

Suzuki also have the RGV on the vintage parts scheme.

Things to check;

Frame not cracked around lower suspension mount.

Power valves have a nasty habit of falling into the cylinder and colliding with the piston, make sure you inspect them before you run it and every year or so.

3 piece pv on VJ22 is the worst.

If you don't know the history of the engine its advisable to take the barrels off and inspect the nicasil liners,pistons and crank bearings.

Only use top quality 2 stroke oil,I use Castrol power from Halfords.

Warm it up before riding off

20170114_101943-1280x960.thumb.jpg.44e6be2673d511a91f59d94275c150f9.jpg

Thanks for the info, mines a VJ21

Its a import that came with a spare Uk frame and uk speedo,the engine has only 7k kilometres on it

Bought off a mate so epthe engine was ok,took one head off to check for any damage or rust

Main problem is identifying the correct bolts,length,head shape etc , as these are usually hard to spot on any online photos or build threads ,even cmsl lists dont show the bolts

Just checked in the Suzuki genuine manual and the doesn't mention bolt lengths or style, just torque settings.

I had to replace most on mine aswell, luckily I have amassed a collection of fasteners over the year's and had most suitable "in stock".

Depends on how original you want to be.

I used capscrews on the engine for convenience and a variety of plated hex and cap heads across the rest of the bike.

Sometimes I find that parts diagrams can be quite useful in figuring out what goes where . I don't know what year yours is but here's a link . https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-rgv250-1993-p-e02-e04-e21-e22-e24-e34_model14009/partslist/#.XQ9fG2nTWyU

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Not really ,bolted a few small parts onto the frame ,forks are back on

Probably either start on the engine cleanup or repaint the wheels and put the tyres on next

Its going to take me a year or so,as I just do a little each month amd slowly it will get there.The 916 i bought in boxes took me 18 months

Luckily someone off this thread has one ,and sent a photo of the last part I just bolted on which is handy