New side project

Guest Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

So I have acquired a new free side project in the shape of a mini moto, completely unsure of what bike it is and what age it is but I'll be posting some pics of it on Tuesday afternoon as it's my next day off work but iv decided that it is now going to be a birthday present for my niece as she will be 3 in November and she has been asking about getting a bike for a while so it gives me some time to fully strip the bike and give it some much needed TLC thought she wants it painting bright pink..... :scratch:

Guest Richzx6r

So I have now got it out the car and on the bench, took fairings off and then took out the plug and I have a feeling it's a problem with the spark unit on the engine as it wasnt sparking when I was turning the engine over so that is port of call number one

Pics to follow tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richzx6r

So another update.....it lives, so it turns out I was trying to start it all wrong by not using any throttle but it now starts and moves under its own power though I think the clutch needs either replacing or adjusting

Guest Richzx6r

I think I'm going to strip it and do a proper job on it.

I have already taken the fairing off

15631232250157796880225399832718.thumb.jpg.9f0b5cbd54e0e91000392bd10a156795.jpg

Bodywork is off

15631232567833745174770511664961.thumb.jpg.ce0f9e7387a407ba6c503dd0cfd0499f.jpg

With tank and seat section on

Guest Richzx6r

Right it has a centrifugal clutch on it as in the pics how do I adjust it?? :scratch:

So looking at the bore the clutch drives against it could be needing a skim but I'm sure you can adjust the clutch on here but unsure how to so if anyone knows can you enlightenment me please

15631243004803615860032898441405.thumb.jpg.cb534cfdcbe4d387bf5f768918536ba8.jpg

Clutch packs

15631243892063464946979350382552.thumb.jpg.a78b25ec5df936f70f2681e9d5a3cf11.jpg

The bore the clutch packs drive against

They will do nearly 35mph if healthy. Very quick that close to the ground. Tbh way too fast for a 3yr old. I would suggest restricting the throttle to 5mph somehow.

Clutch is not adjusted, maybe it's seized. Take it apart and grease the pivot points. :thumb:

They will do nearly 35mph if healthy. Very quick that close to the ground. Tbh way too fast for a 3yr old. I would suggest restricting the throttle to 5mph somehow.

Clutch is not adjusted, maybe it's seized. Take it apart and grease the pivot points. :thumb:

I was going to say, 35mph for 4 yr old, I'm not sure her parents are going to approve! Do they even make helmets that small?

• 1 month later...

Apparently , a very common injury among mini Moto riders is a broken collar bone . It's the first thing to hit the deck in a tumble , so I'm told . Can I suggest that you watch some mini Moto racing on YouTube just to get a sense of what this is about . I can't help wondering whether your neice is too small and too young for this thing .

PhotoEditor_20190818_204851933.thumb.jpg.d1a0788632c846cf51dba1e40748ce54.jpg

that looks like its only gripping on part of the shoes/drum

this may have been bodged judging by the weld in centre of drum causing the drum to sit out more.

i would try to look for images as comparisons as it may have been fitted with a poor upgrade

Guest Richzx6r

that looks like its only gripping on part of the shoes/drum

this may have been bodged judging by the weld in centre of drum causing the drum to sit out more.

i would try to look for images as comparisons as it may have been fitted with a poor upgrade

A new clutch is only about 10 quid so I may just replace it

Guest Richzx6r

If it’s for a 3 year old see if you can get it to go faster than 35mph and make a jump for it to go over and video it and post it on here :thumb:

I think I'd be strung up by the short and curlies if I did that

If you decide that it's not suitable for a three year old you could fit a toothed back wheel and use it to chop down trees or cut paving stones .