honda wiring colors explained

Guest ftw

the cn/ch 250 honda is a generic part. its wiring is obvious. yellow means stator. each yellow wire is a phase. stator phases get added through the rectifier. red means positive. green must be ground, what elese could it be? what about black. so why does honda use green. it has to do with the golden age of motorcycles.

once upon a time the rec and the reg used to be two different units. the ignition wire to the regulator was black. this is no longer true on any magnito bike except mine. I do mine the old way two units with audio and solar battery parts. even though the black regulator wire no longer exists honda kept the green color ground.

suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha each have their own colors. wire colors are meaningless all that matters is the connection. to make my life easy I know honda generic colors. two parts for any bike.

fyi, the honda alternaor generic rec/reg sohc 750/ cb400 four the voltage sensing wire (ignition) is black and green is field. why? because it always was.

it makes no sense. it is what it is because it always was.

file.php?id=27842

Carl Pilkington couldn't have put it better .

PhotoEditor_20190913_112039878.thumb.jpg.98180165a1c8f7564db10534ed31c1ca.jpg

Edited by fastbob

the cn/ch 250 honda is a generic part. its wiring is obvious. yellow means stator. each yellow wire is a phase. stator phases get added through the rectifier. red means positive. green must be ground, what elese could it be? what about black. so why does honda use green. it has to do with the golden age of motorcycles.

once upon a time the rec and the reg used to be two different units. the ignition wire to the regulator was black. this is no longer true on any magnito bike except mine. I do mine the old way two units with audio and solar battery parts. even though the black regulator wire no longer exists honda kept the green color ground.

suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha each have their own colors. wire colors are meaningless all that matters is the connection. to make my life easy I know honda generic colors. two parts for any bike.

fyi, the honda alternaor generic rec/reg sohc 750/ cb400 four the voltage sensing wire (ignition) is black and green is field. why? because it always was.

Here we go again. I thought we'd exhausted this subject weeks ago . Please , for goodness sake , change the bloody record ! Let it go , move on , have a laugh and a joke , anything . But please , no more of this raving gibberish about Honda electrical systems . You're starting to sound demented now old chap . Try and see this in relation to the greater scheme of things and you will liberate yourself from this obsession . Bob's very flattered that you reused his picture by the way .

but who said wires have to be ..Red and black etc

look inside a 240v plug well the ones you can take a part

It's brown for positive blue for negative and if your lucky green and yellow for earth.

Many years ago it was black- red

+and earth green

Why should things be standardized?

Some systems are designed around colour blindness

Just be thankful Ford don't make motorcycles all the wiring would have been black :lol:

Oddly enough , I bought a bike once where the entire wiring harness was black . It was a CB250RS that had belonged to this old chap that I bought for £20 as a winter bike. The bike had been stolen from him at some point and set on fire but the police had recovered it . He had completely re wired it using heavy duty wire nicked from where he worked building Forklift Trucks. Interestingly each wire had a different number printed along its length . The wires were much thicker than standard which meant that there was hardly any room to get the tank on . Another odd improvisation was that part of the throttle grip was an old Steradent tube . Despite this the bike was a good runner. I sold it after a year to a bloke for his son to use as a field bike on a farm but the son disobeyed the rules and took it on the road , had a crash and got nicked by the Police. As a punishment , so I was told , the dad dug a hole with a JCB and buried it . It would probably start first kick if it was dug up !

Oddly enough , I bought a bike once where the entire wiring harness was black . It was a CB250RS that had belonged to this old chap that I bought for £20 as a winter bike. The bike had been stolen from him at some point and set on fire but the police had recovered it . He had completely re wired it using heavy duty wire nicked from where he worked building Forklift Trucks. Interestingly each wire had a different number printed along its length . The wires were much thicker than standard which meant that there was hardly any room to get the tank on.

The cores from industrial multi core cable. Good idea, was there was a key diagram with it.

Oddly enough , I bought a bike once where the entire wiring harness was black . It was a CB250RS that had belonged to this old chap that I bought for £20 as a winter bike. The bike had been stolen from him at some point and set on fire but the police had recovered it . He had completely re wired it using heavy duty wire nicked from where he worked building Forklift Trucks. Interestingly each wire had a different number printed along its length . The wires were much thicker than standard which meant that there was hardly any room to get the tank on.

The cores from industrial multi core cable. Good idea, was there was a key diagram with it.

Lick heck was there ! Luckily it all worked .

sorry you guys don't get it. if you memorize three colors and know one principal you can wire any bike on earth with only two hero honda cheap knockoff r/r's.

honda colors

green on a magnito (spinning magnet) regulator is earth. (on todays mag unit there is no black voltage sensing wire.)

on an alternator (spinning field coil) green is field. black is the voltage sensing wire, goes to ignition +. yes take red and black tie them together and run it through a switch if you like.

not zod but lets use our honda ascot riding friend's r/r as an example.

s-l1600.jpg

principal

the ascot has an alternator. (red and red/white stripe is ignition and fuse to battery. yellow is stator. green means field. black is voltage sensing + and also goes to the igntion.) some bikes one of the two field terminals is grounded. the ascot is not. to use the sohc 750 r/r one field terminal output needs to be grounded. either terminal, polarity does not matter. the principal is there are only two types of alternaor r/r's. 'A' or 'B'. one is universal alternator and the other one is not.

if you have gotten this far you now know more than the guy at the shop about wiring and you don't even know it. just because a thing can be done that does not mean I want ascot people to rewire. it uses a dirt cheap unit with the proper plugs for 16.99$, rick motorsports is 120$ for the same part so buyer be ware. it's a valuable skill to know how the mumbling mad max mechanic would do it as he is a role model.

Edited by Anonymous

What do you mean "Don't get it " ? Can't you see nobody is interested ? Mad Max mechanic ? It's a fantasy film and the guy was an actor . This is all delusional . I've rebuilt two Ascots or FT500,s as we call them and I didn't have any issues with the rec regs . I feel sure that you mean well but I just can't see why you keep offering this advice when nobody is asking for it . What's your favourite biscuit ?

sorry you guys don't get it. if you memorize three colors and know one principal you can wire any bike on earth with only two hero honda cheap knockoff r/r's.

honda colors

green on a magnito (spinning magnet) regulator is earth. (on todays mag unit there is no black voltage sensing wire.)

on an alternator (spinning field coil) green is field. black is the voltage sensing wire, goes to ignition +. yes take red and black tie them together and run it through a switch if you like.

not zod but lets use our honda ascot riding friend's r/r as an example.

s-l1600.jpg

principal

the ascot has an alternator. (red and red/white stripe is ignition and fuse to battery. yellow is stator. green means field. black is voltage sensing + and also goes to the igntion.) some bikes one of the two field terminals is grounded. the ascot is not. to use the sohc 750 r/r one field terminal output needs to be grounded. either terminal, polarity does not matter. the principal is there are only two types of alternaor r/r's. 'A' or 'B'. one is universal alternator and the other one is not.

if you have gotten this far you now know more than the guy at the shop about wiring and you don't even know it. just because a thing can be done that does not mean I want ascot people to rewire. it uses a dirt cheap unit with the proper plugs for 16.99$, rick motorsports is 120$ for the same part so buyer be ware. it's a valuable skill to know how the mumbling mad max mechanic would do it as he is a role model.

See we would 'GET IT' if we knew what it was about and in what context 'IT' was about .

So instead of the vague subject line ' Honda Wiring colours Explained' therefore implying all Honda Wiring is based on the same 3 colour wires across the whole loom .

Had dyou put'Honda Charging Loom Wiring colours explained ' then' IT 'may have been more explanatory.

Think of your audience before the subject and determine how to portray 'IT' to them so that they may grasp what 'IT' is all about .

You have a passion for self learning and self repair that is applauded ( not by many here sadly )and goes back to make do and mend style of bygone years . :thumb:

Just remember not all share that passion and may need it to be presented in a educational manner rather than a you should do this style.

honda wiring colors are not the same throughout the loom. never said it was. the white wire coming out of the stator is not the same as the white wire in the bucket. I also said it makes no sense.

my post is specific to the two r/r's that can wire any bike. three colors and one principal

poor sucker. and they don't tell him he wired it wrong

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/50-electrical-discussion/14014-cheap-regulator-rectifier-upgrade-51.html#post1072908

a paraplegic who has overcome his disability is an inspiring. I don't ever have biscuits as an American, no tea time for me. I drink coffee. I specifically said their is nothing wrong with the ascot r/r. just used it as an example how to read and wire honda colors with a generic universal unit. can't you read man? you are screwing it up for others and being a douche, why comment on things without reading it?

this is a valuable skill and can be applied to any bike.

Nobody needs to know ! Yet again you are using this forum to grind your axe about the Honda Twins forum . If you followed other posts on this forum instead of just focusing on your own narrow agenda, you would realise that "Biscuits" is a metaphorical term for a subject that has run its course . But to appreciate that you would need a sense of humour .

PhotoEditor_20190915_183310038.thumb.jpg.34843bb3772f17ef084f91375ecf555c.jpg

Nobody needs to know ! Yet again you are using this forum to grind your axe about the Honda Twins forum . If you followed other posts on this forum instead of just focusing on your own narrow agenda, you would realise that "Biscuits" is a metaphorical term for a subject that has run its course . But to appreciate that you would need a sense of humour .

Fook me that's a cup of tea, looks like bovril 😁

Fook me that's a cup of tea, looks like bovril 😁

It's coffee I believe . I wonder what the next installment of the monologue will be like .

you are really a douch bag bob, you cant read can you? I could care less about honda twins. I have nothing to do with that post. again you couldn't be bothered to read that post either. the guy in that link thought honda wiring is the same through out the harness. It's not. It answers the poster who wanted me to change the title. some of honda wiring makes no sense. some does. this is the old moterbike restoration section. you don't you think this is valuable information for someone to read and know. that makes you a real prick because you are screwing it up for the quiet smart people who can read. perhaps this is why we did what we did in 1776. I have a sense of humor I just don't dig your stupid comments when you can't be bothered to read what I write or links I post. you see the red in the post you did not read?

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

bob, I'm calling you out as a poser, specifically what wrong with the info in my post.

I'm going to give you a test. answer yes or no.

1. the Yamaha rd350 has an alternator, one end of the field is grounded. would the chepo honda sohc 750 r/r wire in exactly the same way as the expensive Yamaha part but with honda colors.

2. the yamaha rd400 has an alternator. it has two field wires, niether is grounded. would the chepo honda ascot r/r wire in exactly the same way an the expensive rd400 r/r but with honda colors.

3. if you ground one field wire on a Yamaha rd400 can you use the cheapo honda sohc750/400f r/r.

4. does the generic magnito cn/ch250 r/r wire any honda twin the same way as the expensive unit on na honda site, ricks site or Oregon motors site.

you are really a douch bag bob, you cant read can you? I could care less about honda twins. I have nothing to do with that post. again you couldn't be bothered to read that post either. the guy in that link thought honda wiring is the same through out the harness. It's not. It answers the poster who wanted me to change the title. some of honda wiring makes no sense. some does. this is the old moterbike restoration section. you don't you think this is valuable information for someone to read and know. that makes you a real prick because you are screwing it up for the quiet smart people who can read. perhaps this is why we did what we did in 1776. I have a sense of humor I just don't dig your stupid comments when you can't be bothered to read what I write or links I post. you see the red in the post you did not read?

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

bob, I'm calling you out as a poser, specifically what wrong with the info in my post.

I'm going to give you a test. answer yes or no.

1. the Yamaha rd350 has an alternator, one end of the field is grounded. would the chepo honda sohc 750 r/r wire in exactly the same way as the expensive Yamaha part but with honda colors.

2. the yamaha rd400 has an alternator. it has two field wires, niether is grounded. would the chepo honda ascot r/r wire in exactly the same way an the expensive rd400 r/r but with honda colors.

3. if you ground one field wire on a Yamaha rd400 can you use the cheapo honda sohc750/400f r/r.

4. does the generic magnito cn/ch250 r/r wire any honda twin the same way as the expensive unit on na honda site, ricks site or Oregon motors site.

You have got to be kidding, what if @fastbob answered all your questions correctly ,would you give him another test, or are you trying to impress us with your knowledge, this site is not about who's got the fastest draw or the biggest dick, and I would advise him not to get involved with your little test,he serve's this forum well. Behave yourself

@ftw you sir are in the wrong. Five minutes on the naughty step then say sorry to @fastbob when you come off. He has been very patient with you.

patitent? all he does is make stupid comments without reading my posts. anyone who actually read my post can answer this simple test. sorry james that means you too.

You have got to be kidding, what if @fastbob answered all your questions correctly ,would you give him another test, or are you trying to impress us with your knowledge,

I'm straight out proving bob did not bother to actually read this post. knowledge is for everyone. trying to share a valuable skill with the group, but the class clowns are ruining it for everyone.

I also asked bob to spell out exactly what is wrong with any of the info in this post.