bike won't start after gear change

hello

i have recently bought my first bike (very new to all this) and all was running well until today when upon shifting from first to second the engine cut out and will no longer start. it will also not bump start, but is turning over. the kick starter has also gone quite slack. bike is 1988 suzuki dr125, any suggestions please.

Guest Richzx6r

Have you checked the side stand switch if it has one, from there I'd check if theres a decent spark at the plug after that then its delving in deeper to the engine to see if anything is amiss there.

Where there any crunches or bangs right as it stopped working?

I feel the description is kinda vague

Bike doesn’t have a side stand switch so it’s not that, I’ll check if it’s sparking right when I get a chance. Fairly sure there was no bangs or anything like that when it cut out, I just can’t figure out why it cut out immediately after a gear change to second. However, upon further inspection it sounds as tho there could be a chain rattling somewhere.

Thanks for the replies

The neutral light works as intended and lights up. Is what I’ve circled in the pic the cam chain adjuster or some kind of well for the spark plug? Just curious as I recently swapped the bolt that goes in it as it fell out

AA0BF586-E77E-48BF-BC5A-C37704115B0A.thumb.jpeg.cdbbd048d40eea91528ae0a6d84141f4.jpeg

Hello again. So I’ve taken off the cylinder head cover and had a look. It doesn’t appear the chain has come off as it spins freely when I pump the kickstart, however the thing (I’m not sure what it’s called) I’ve circled in the picture is lose and comes off in my hand unlike the other one. Is that normal?

AC9B579A-66F8-4355-9B8C-55F6224BC138.thumb.jpeg.14df23e3041df75208cf4e3420586f25.jpeg

That is the valve spring. I think the timing slipped then the valve hit the piston and broke off. Unless you're very lucky it may need a piston as well. You will have to take the head off to check.good luck.

It there is no damage to the piston it should be OK. Look on you tube about replacing the valve. You may need to hire/buy a valve spring compresser, although you can sometimes get round that but it's not easy.

Hello again. So I’ve taken off the cylinder head cover and had a look. It doesn’t appear the chain has come off as it spins freely when I pump the kickstart, however the thing (I’m not sure what it’s called) I’ve circled in the picture is lose and comes off in my hand unlike the other one. Is that normal?

Sorry , didn't read all posts .