MZ ETZ 250 Clutch

Was wondering if anyone can help, currently rebuilding an 87 MZ ETZ 250 and all has gone well aside from the clutch. The clutch is assembled and fitted and so is the left hand case and its components. However, when I pull the clutch cable and the retaining arm slides out of the worm, it feels as though it is not making contact with the clutch assembly as there is no pressure. Any suggestions would be very helpful as this is the only thing stopping the bike from working 100%!

Thank you I did not, but I seem to have everything in place stated there, could clutch plates possibly be sticking or something? The bike had been sat a while when I bought it

Was wondering if anyone can help, currently rebuilding an 87 MZ ETZ 250 and all has gone well aside from the clutch. The clutch is assembled and fitted and so is the left hand case and its components. However, when I pull the clutch cable and the retaining arm slides out of the worm, it feels as though it is not making contact with the clutch assembly as there is no pressure. Any suggestions would be very helpful as this is the only thing stopping the bike from working 100%!

hello fellow mz owner.did u adjust plate with 3 screws correctly? :cheers:

Yes I did, I also tightened them enough so that I knew the adjustment plate was not spinning, will have another play around with it over the course of the weekend.

Okay a bit of progress, I have got the clutch semi working, however it does not stop the back wheel spinning entirely. Only a combination of pressing the rear brake and pulling the clutch causes the back wheel to stop spinning, is this a sign of any particular fault such as stuck plates? The bike is currently on a bike stand with the back wheel in the air.

On the centre stand the wheel will often rotate due to drag on the clutch. When you operate the rear brake and the wheel stops and the engine does not stall all is generally well.

Oh that’s a relief, now I’ll just have to wait for god knows how long for a new clutch cable to arrive :roll: on a quick side note I also pulled a bunch of horse hair out of the exhaust which I assume is the fibreglass muffler. Do I need to replace the exhaust, or does it have no impact on performance

Oh that’s a relief, now I’ll just have to wait for god knows how long for a new clutch cable to arrive :roll: on a quick side note I also pulled a bunch of horse hair out of the exhaust which I assume is the fibreglass muffler. Do I need to replace the exhaust, or does it have no impact on performance

It has very little impact on performance despite it being huge and despite the bike being a Two-stroke . I ran a TS 125 with a silencer off a Honda that I found in a ditch and on one occasion with no silencer at all .