Fzr1000 exup

Hi, new here.

I would like to start by saying i am rebuilding my 1993 fzr1000 exup, it drinks oil like there's no tomorrow and it is generally poor condition. Most of the tear down is complete and i the cause of the oil consumption is both bad valve seals and worn rings and sleaves. I will be boring out to 1040cc and getting rid of the troublesom exup valve. The forks are leaking and the subframe is rusty. The gearbox is knackered aswell as the fairings so i have my work cut out for me.

I am planning on doing before and after photographs aswell as documenting the entire process over the next 2 years i have planned and budgeted to do it.

I am sure there are many knowledgeable people on here who can help me the way to bring my poor bike back to life.

My old rf900r will be a reliable steed for the time being.

Thanks for having a look.

Regards,Eric.

I had a 93 RU EXUP for 9 years ,great bike, did over 30000 miles on it.

They are well known for liking a drop of oil, had to top mine up every couple of weeks.

Sold mine to a guy who worked for a college, they were going to use it as a project.

Good luck with the restoration.

20160830_185419_copy_1280x768.thumb.jpg.2cc50896ccd2832dbfa0d55807cea1da.jpg

Thank you for the replies, i know it's a huge job but the teardown for the bike was so quick as i could basically walk around the entire thing stripping it bit by bit. Everything has its own little baggy with details drawn on with a sharpy. I made sure could source parts before tossing any and have noted what is gone.

The problem wasn't topping oil every now and then, I'm usee to oil consumption on my vehicle's. I had an alfa 156 jts and it took a lotre every 750 miles and my current bmw 330ci has 183k on it and uses about 500ml per 1000 miles.

But i was stopping every 25/30 miles to top up 250ml as the light came on and watching huge puffs of white smoke both acceleration and deceleration. Not ideal as i could only fit 500ml under the seat. The smell was horrendous aswell. I'm eager tonsee how it turns out but i know it's going to take a while.

Regards,Eric.

Guest Richzx6r

Sounds good Eric, and what better time to start it than now with all this cv shite going on atm I wish you good luck with the project and will enjoy the thread as it continues

Is it really worth all that work on the motor? There are plenty of them for sale though of course you never quite know what their state is.

Just an idea is all :thumb:

Hi, thanks for the reply. My thinking was just mostly about experience and keeping as many original parts as possible so as not to rouse any problems with mismatched numbers.

Regards, Eric.