1999 Honda XLR125 stuck starter

Hello, recently picked up a very beaten and abused Honda xlr 125, however it did start and run, but the starter was a bit prone to sticking apparently. Bike was incredibly filthy so gave it a wash today and let it dry a couple of hours. Went to start it and the starter clicked and then all electrics went dead. Swapped the fuse and the electrics came back, but upon pressing the starter the same thing happened. Could water have got in the starter when I washed it and is causing it to stick and blow a fuse? Sprayed it with some wd40 as it’s water repellant, any other ideas?

Geez! that video was pants :lol: , take the the starter off and give the internals a good clean, just make sure to find the alignment marks on the casing so that you can reassemble in the right place :thumb:

No need to strip it down as much as the following vid, just make sure that the brushes are free and able to move and grease up any metal moving parts except for the electrical contacts :thumb:

Thanks! Will give it a go tomorrow. Something else strange, I put the first fuse I thought I had blown back in and the electrics came on again, so maybe i didn’t blow the fuse at all? Tapped the starter lightly with a hammer a few times and it spun a little bit soon stuck again.

Thanks! Will give it a go tomorrow. Something else strange, I put the first fuse I thought I had blown back in and the electrics came on again, so maybe i didn’t blow the fuse at all? Tapped the starter lightly with a hammer a few times and it spun a little bit soon stuck again.

The brushes are sticking, same happened to my CG125, replaced the internals with a refurb kit from wemoto after i stripped and cleaned it first just to get it working :thumb:

Yeah , that's because there's probably a big handful of black dust moving around inside it . Spraying anything into it will only turn this to a sludge . Strip it down , thoroughly clean everything , get some 2500 grit sandpaper and buff up the commutator plates , grease bearings and reassemble.

If everything shuts off when you try to start it I've found that's often because of a bad connection on one of the main current carrying wires. Most often it's a loose battery connection or a bad ground connection to the frame or engine, it could also be a bad connection on the main fuse but I haven't personally seen that.