Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

If you want to see where this story started and the build up to it go here https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72467#p1128101

Today i finally picked up this amazing 'barn find'.

Screenshot_20200614-185725_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.81b867fb1e9717d6a0b20f4805194841.jpg

After following advice from [mention]Ian Frog[/mention] i took off all the fairings, petrol tank and air filter.

Ive bagged up all the bits and pieces, taken pics as ive gone, put screws and bolts back in where poss.

Ive no keys yet so cant empty the bit of fuel out of the tank but what has dripped out looks clear. This is where im up to.

Screenshot_20200614-194619_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3bcc5145c1f3cdc96c8ace7254eb6b51.jpg

Screenshot_20200614-182659_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.ddd18409f0b6c6012b8a13ca11e4e2f8.jpg

IMG-20200614-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.cf1819e3b33049fdc6a994c21ffd8b18.jpeg

Edited by gymwitch

[mention]oldgrump[/mention] just got bike on paddock stand (couldn't do it on my own. Apparently im a bird 🤷‍♀️) was getting ready to video whats happening with it and now its doing as it should. Cant move it in 1st gear at all, it gets slightly easier as you move up the gears but i couldnt move it at all. Andy did but it wasnt easy. Good news 😬

Edited by gymwitch

Hi [mention]gymwitch[/mention] , that sounds a lot better!! And a lot cheaper :D , Have you tried unscrewing the screw's on side of float bowls to see if any fuel comes out? Mine fired up after 8 years under a sheet without stripping the carbs, and i just ran mine at first with a funnel stuffed in fuel pipe, or you could rig up a small fuel tank/container.

I did, after running mine up for a total of a couple hours, do the shims, and new plugs etc etc.

Also mine smoked a bit and it took about 100 miles of running before it stopped smoking on start up, so don't panic if it smokes, most bikes do when laid up long term.

[mention]oldgrump[/mention] i will do that and get back to you. Im going to struggle without the keys though and getting them isnt looking hopeful anytime soon 😒

Might be just as easy to see if you can get a secondhand lock set.

Especially if you can get same model/year then its just plug and play.

Cheers

Ian

Thats probably the best thing to do under the circumstances. 🙂

Hi [mention]gymwitch[/mention] , Or if you take seat catch lock out of Rear fairing the key number should be stamped on the side, here's a photo of mine and you can clearly see the number, last 3 on lock and that's the key number, also here's a website I sometime use.

Hope it helps :thumb: www.replacementkeys.co.uk/honda-a-d-series.html.

SAM_2884.thumb.JPG.b896b1259b23a344a8a600db33234a5f.JPG

SAM_2885.thumb.JPG.90fa3434181796a2bb623d68b6540fb9.JPG

That's if your locks are genuine :D

Is this is the right wiring diagram for your bike? https://www.fireblades.org/threads/cbr400rr-wiring-diagrams-haynes.107112/

If it is you can turn the bike on by following the wire coming out of the back of the ignition. Follow it to the block connector where it joins the bike's loom. There should be three wires at the connector Red, Red/Black and Blue/Yellow. If you look at the ignition switch in the wiring diagram it shows that when the ignition is on the three wires join together. So if you join the three wires with some jumper wires into the back of the connector the electrics should turn on the same as if you had turned the key on. So at the connector jump Red to Red/Black and Red to Blue/Yellow and it should come on. The Red is 12V from the battery. The Red/Black goes to the fuse box. The Blue/Yellow goes to the fan motor. So when the ignition is on it switches 12V from the battery to the fuse box and fan motor. That is only correct if that is the correct wiring diagram for your bike

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks guys !!! I will look into it, just up to my elbows in carbs at the mo and skin on your knuckles is overrated.

Sounds like you are having fun

Guest Richzx6r

These carbs are a joy to get out !!! 2.5 hrs wiggling and jiggling and thats before i get to the bike 😬 i blame the cake.

Yes the carb jig is a merry dance eh

Its afuckinoying !!! 😤

[mention]gymwitch[/mention] I must admit, after working on loads of bikes in my life, the NC23 has to rank as one of the worse, the bloody wiring loom gets in the way, and the frame just seems to narrow to pull them out :x

There is one other bike that is worse by miles!!!!! Yamaha XVZ13 Venture Royale!! Luckily not many made it to these shores!!!!

Hair dryer worked a treat 😁 only taken 3 and a half hours. Now im reading up on getting the throttle cable off. Should have done that first 😳

Edited by gymwitch

Guest Richzx6r

Wait while you try putting them back :shock: :shock: .

Agreed its generally harder to put stuff back together than the removal so [mention]gymwitch[/mention] I bid you luck