Spraying Engine Casings

Hi everyone, has anyone ever painted their engine cases whilst the engine is in the frame? Engine runs fine do don't really want to strip it and remove but i needs the casings cleaning and spraying quite badly. Any tips?

Cheers - Steve

You would have to make sure anything you don't want sprayed is properly masked.

Your problem will be spraying at awkward angles to reach the hard spots.

Taking the engine out is always the best option and it will allow you to check if the frame doesn't need some treatment too. Taking the engine out doesn't mean you will be changing any of the settings or mod the tuning. It should come out as a whole.

Thanks Husoi - I suppose I could just take it out of the frame, its a project bike after all. I'm just a little nervous as the engine runs sweet so I don't want to cock anything up, similarly I want to do a good job so if removal is the best route I'll go that way.

Cheers - Steve

Rick/Stu - thanks for your replies. I could remove the pulse generator cover, sprocket cover etc. without any real issues and polish them up, but, the cylinder heads all need cleaning up, the flakey paint blasted/sanded off and then the whole thing respraying. If this can be done whilst in the frame then that would be sweet, but not sure if I could and it would deliver a good result?

P.s. the bike is a 1996 Kawasaki ZR550.

Cheers - Steve

Don't do it . It will look obvious and shit especially if you spray the fasteners as well . To achieve a good finish you will have to prepare the surfaces until they look too good to paint and you won't be able to do that if they are attached to the rest of the engine . Here's one I did earlier .

WP_20181025_20_16_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.87de2fc99415fad558be225ebd3545ea.jpg

1680129558_WP_20180908_00_41_08_Pro(4)2.thumb.jpg.56aa0820eb02c2b4b56a077db90901be.jpg

Thanks Fast Bob. Ill remove the engine. I don't want to stop the engine down however as I have never rebuilt one before and don't feel comfortable doing it on my own. Will I get a good enough finish with the engine as a whole?

Cheers - Steve

Thanks Fast Bob. Ill remove the engine. I don't want to stop the engine down however as I have never rebuilt one before and don't feel comfortable doing it on my own. Will I get a good enough finish with the engine as a whole?

Cheers - Steve

I've already given you my best advice on this matter .

Steve, the engine out is fairly straight forward. It is similar to my Z500 removal. Is your the Zephyr? Thought the Zephyr 550 motor was not painted?

Manual gives the step by step see link below. Warm your airbox to carb rubbers with hair dryer so they don't crack same when installing carbs, warm not hot.

Soak in WD 40 or release agent of you choice and loosen stuff then give the motor the best degrease and scrub you can before taking everything off as it's a bugger washing it with all them holes open or even plugged up. Battery off.Starter lead off, oil and filter out, filter housing back in and oil cooler outlets removed from sump, try not to loose the o rings but you may want to order some new ones (670B2010 only 60 p each), sump stays on. support motor from below, DO NOT Forget to remove the Main Neg Wire from the motor (rear right when sat on bike) remove coils and horn if in front of cam box then all bolts and brackets bar the rear bottom. remove last bolt when ready to lift (2 man job). Lift straight up and move to the right a little to clear the right hand front and rear fixed engine mounts. tilt the engine so the sump clears the frame and remove from the right (points side).

Have you a manual?? If not you can download the Kawasaki service manual from here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Mnls/Mnls.html

Bob is right needs to be out, it is easier to mask up and get into places. If you can remove fasterners after you have painted and clean then in thinners or replace with Stainless S ones (outer casing only not crankcase ones). Check you rubber engine mount too. and you will be able to clean and touch up the frame. wrap bubble wrap round newly painted frame before you put it in of course.

1262805015_Enginereadytofit.thumb.JPG.d8e6803685fce79dc55200d96a1bf99d.JPG

Keep us posted, pics please

Rob B