The other ER5 restoration .

Watch this space .

I'm watching but nothing is happening :scratch:

Here you go then , Driving School stickers removed and paintwork polished . Happy now ? I think I'll go to bed now because it's been a long and difficult day . Goodnight .

Polish_20200812_233451836.thumb.jpg.5de2d2280cc1c5d798c2535176707f63.jpg

Guest Richzx6r

Watch this space .

I'm watching but nothing is happening :scratch:

Here you go then , Driving School stickers removed and paintwork polished . Happy now ? I think I'll go to bed now because it's been a long and difficult day . Goodnight .

Ahh much better.. :thumb:

Night mate

I wonder if that school is still running? Maybe that's @fastbob's mobile number there?

[/quot Hit by Covid19 and some personal issues I believe . Single person outfit .

I wonder if that school is still running? Maybe that's @fastbob's mobile number there?

Why would I buy a bike from myself ?

Ok so here's an idea of the general condition of the bike . Good news is that it turns over nice and smoothly ( By hand ) the back tyre is unused and there's nothing missing at all . The front of the frame is very badly rusted and it remains to be seen whether the swinging arm is scrap . The exhaust is good so that's a big saving . All in all though , there's nothing on it that can't be sorted .

Polish_20200813_160542874.thumb.jpg.971d72967118837d230f3bd0571e7b49.jpg

It may be the picture but does the stanchion on the r/h fork look bent above/below the lower yoke?

It certainly does dosen't it . But it's completely straight in real life .

Carbs stripped , inspected and reassembled minus the cross-head screws . Everything inside was dry but absolutely clean as a whistle and in fine working order .

IMG_20200814_143408219.thumb.jpg.c64a0653424c94c353857d6dd5a4c060.jpg

On the downside , the radiator is scrap . Destroyed by salt by the look of it . No worries , Chinese replicas are only £60 .

are they any good Bob :?:

I won't be buying one now . I've scored a decent rad and fan for free off the ER5 FB group. Collect tomorrow . Happy days !

So today I scrubbed up the Air Box and turned my attention to the Thermostat Housing . I popped the thermostat in a pan of hot water and made sure it was opening and closing properly then just cleaned the rest up and replaced the bolts with stainless Allen Bolts . I'm just going to carry on taking bits off and sorting them out until there's nothing left but the frame .

IMG_20200816_004616548.thumb.jpg.60de726800088311222be5bf1f6c556a.jpg

IMG_20200816_004646141.thumb.jpg.2e214415a7489ab16e1d8a2ce7a839e1.jpg

So now I've got a half decent radiator and fan thanks to an extremely generous donation from an ER5 FB group member . Kawasaki have made sure that you can't get the fan off the motor and therefore can't get the motor out of the housing . So I defeated the buggers by chopping out the rust eaten part of one housing and grafting in some good metal cut from another one with a duff motor . I don't have welding equipment so I pop rivetted it . It functions and it's invisible once installed on the bike . With the carbs and cooling system done I think the next step is to go straight to an engine start up before going too much further .

IMG_20200818_000703773.thumb.jpg.9f56d55e550a690a8816c4d586c7a41b.jpg

I think the next move is to suspend any restoration work until I have got the engine running . I've got a nasty feeling this bike might have been run without coolant . On many bikes that could be disastrous but the ER5 does have cooling fins . We shall see .