On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

wanted

Items for sale/wanted - non motorbike related
Forum rules
Welcome to our For Sale/Wanted section.

Please put in subject title whether the item is FOR SALE or WANTED.
Please use for anything thats not bike related. Please note that this is not a Free Ads site, and is for use for active forum members only.
Adverts will be deleted after 30 days unless the poster updates the advert
Adverts that have been posted by a member as their first and only post will be deleted in 48 hrs if no further contribution to the site is made.
Any member with less than 10 posts adverts will be deleted in 5 days
Dead Ebay links will be removed
Please update your adverts when sold
Just to keep the topics tidy any posts not relating to the sale will be deleted
Thank you
eastanglianbiker
Bike(s): harley/thunderace
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 66 times

wanted

Post by eastanglianbiker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:32 pm

if anyone got a cheap generator laying around they want to get rid of im looking for one just to run some lights in my shed while im out there doing bits on the bike doesnt have to be pretty or high powered havent got lots to spend,also a compressor once again its only for tyres on the bike (and car) so can be as small as 24 litre tank on it as im not wanting to run air tools or spray with it

Mr Fro
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 980 times

Re: wanted

Post by Mr Fro » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Have you thought about solar Steve?

I put my system together for about £50. No buggering about with fuel or worrying about noise.

eastanglianbiker

Post by eastanglianbiker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:03 pm

had thought about it for the lights but havent looked into it that much yet was also thinking for along the lines of running compressor to top up the tyres as well

Mr Fro
Subscriber

Post by Mr Fro » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:14 pm

The problem with running a compressor is they need a load of power when they start up. Even a small one (1.5kW) will need a hefty genny to run it.

If you were going solar you could use one of those 12v tyre pumps if that's all you want it for.

eastanglianbiker

Post by eastanglianbiker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:16 pm

thats a good point hadnt even thought about that at the moment i have to wheel the bike out to the car and do it there as ive got a 12 compressor that lives in boot of the car

Classickid21
Bike(s): Six30's wife
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Classickid21 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:43 pm

erh i have one but id like £120 for it used a handful of times id imagine fresh fuel is in need before use.
:mrgreen:

Joeman
Subscriber
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has liked: 1150 times
Been liked: 973 times

Post by Joeman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:15 pm

eastanglianbiker wrote:thats a good point hadnt even thought about that at the moment i have to wheel the bike out to the car and do it there as ive got a 12 compressor that lives in boot of the car
Solar lights from a 12v battery and run your 12v compressor from the same battery!

Go onto eBay and buy Led strip lights. They come in 5m rolls
Wire up a switch and a lesure battery with solar panel and you're done.
These are the type of lights I have:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-Strip-Light- ... Ciid%253A4

Reiver
Bike(s): YBR125
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Reiver » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I rely on 12v car batteries and solar panels during the summertime when I live for 3 or 4 months at my remote caravan in the hills which has no electric/sewage/running water etc. I run several fluorescent striplights, a water pump, a portable CD/radio, a laptop computer and various other 12v appliances from a pair of heavy duty 12v car batteries which are kept constantly charged via a pair of 80 watt solar panels on the roof. The panels are only about 3x2 feet in size. In three years I have never had to bring the batteries home to charge them from the mains. Could be a cheaper alternative to a noisy generator and buying petrol as other folks here have said.

eastanglianbiker

Post by eastanglianbiker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:14 pm

just need lights now really you think a 6w solar panel would run them lights you listed joe as ive got a solar panel for battery on the bike so when im not charging that i can plug lights in instead

Mr Fro
Subscriber

Post by Mr Fro » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:43 pm

I don't know that it's a great idea running the light directly from the panel - I tried that and popped a bulb. My panels chuff out ~18v measuring directly. I use this sort of thing battery wise. I'm up to six now but a couple will last a few hours no problems.

I now have the same sort as Joe linked and they're really good.

Joeman
Subscriber
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has liked: 1150 times
Been liked: 973 times

Post by Joeman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:58 pm

eastanglianbiker wrote:just need lights now really you think a 6w solar panel would run them lights you listed joe as ive got a solar panel for battery on the bike so when im not charging that i can plug lights in instead
You cant run the lights directly from the solar panel, you will need a battery to store the power generated by the solar panel - preferably a deep cycle battery like a caravan leisure battery that wont get damaged if it runs low.

The eBay listing say the lights consume 4.8w per metre so if you have all 5m of lights lit up you're burning 24watts of power.. (about 2amps of current)

So with a 6 watt panel, you will need about 4 hours of sunshine for each hour of lighting usage to keep the battery topped up.

Its going to depend on how many lights you need to light your shed, and how many hours of light you need..
2 meters of lights (about the length of a shed) will only require 9.6watts of power so 1.6 hours of sunlight for every hour of lighting...

With UK weather,I'd be tempted to find a larger panel...

OR pop to homebase and buy some of these rechargeable work lights, charge them up in the house, and take them to the shed when needed.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk ... ack-383162

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk ... ght-375160

Return to “For Sale and Wanted - non motorbike related”