if anyone got a cheap generator laying around they want to get rid of im looking for one just to run some lights in my shed while im out there doing bits on the bike doesnt have to be pretty or high powered havent got lots to spend,also a compressor once again its only for tyres on the bike (and car) so can be as small as 24 litre tank on it as im not wanting to run air tools or spray with it

The problem with running a compressor is they need a load of power when they start up. Even a small one (1.5kW) will need a hefty genny to run it.

If you were going solar you could use one of those 12v tyre pumps if that's all you want it for.

• 3 months later...
thats a good point hadnt even thought about that at the moment i have to wheel the bike out to the car and do it there as ive got a 12 compressor that lives in boot of the car

Solar lights from a 12v battery and run your 12v compressor from the same battery!

Go onto eBay and buy Led strip lights. They come in 5m rolls

Wire up a switch and a lesure battery with solar panel and you're done.

These are the type of lights I have:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-Strip-Light-Car-SMD-3528-300led-DC-12V-Lamp-Flexible-Waterproof-Cool-White-/252290227180?hash=item3abdab5bec%3Ag%3A0bwAAOSwezVWxCnD&_trkparms=pageci%253Af1539222-f220-11e6-9460-005056b66bb5%257Cparentrq%253A38e7c6ea15a0a6a4a6a0d9e5fff7c49f%257Ciid%253A4

I rely on 12v car batteries and solar panels during the summertime when I live for 3 or 4 months at my remote caravan in the hills which has no electric/sewage/running water etc. I run several fluorescent striplights, a water pump, a portable CD/radio, a laptop computer and various other 12v appliances from a pair of heavy duty 12v car batteries which are kept constantly charged via a pair of 80 watt solar panels on the roof. The panels are only about 3x2 feet in size. In three years I have never had to bring the batteries home to charge them from the mains. Could be a cheaper alternative to a noisy generator and buying petrol as other folks here have said.

I don't know that it's a great idea running the light directly from the panel - I tried that and popped a bulb. My panels chuff out ~18v measuring directly. I use this sort of thing battery wise. I'm up to six now but a couple will last a few hours no problems.

I now have the same sort as Joe linked and they're really good.

just need lights now really you think a 6w solar panel would run them lights you listed joe as ive got a solar panel for battery on the bike so when im not charging that i can plug lights in instead

You cant run the lights directly from the solar panel, you will need a battery to store the power generated by the solar panel - preferably a deep cycle battery like a caravan leisure battery that wont get damaged if it runs low.

The eBay listing say the lights consume 4.8w per metre so if you have all 5m of lights lit up you're burning 24watts of power.. (about 2amps of current)

So with a 6 watt panel, you will need about 4 hours of sunshine for each hour of lighting usage to keep the battery topped up.

Its going to depend on how many lights you need to light your shed, and how many hours of light you need..

2 meters of lights (about the length of a shed) will only require 9.6watts of power so 1.6 hours of sunlight for every hour of lighting...

With UK weather,I'd be tempted to find a larger panel...

OR pop to homebase and buy some of these rechargeable work lights, charge them up in the house, and take them to the shed when needed.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/mega-dual-worklight---2-pack-383162

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/foldable-mega-worklight-375160