GHB rechargeable tyre inflator

Via

Whilst I've got air compressor and a portable 12v inflator which are great for the car, they are a pain for the bike. Don't have a accessory socket on bike and too much hassle dragging it out of garden into garage to use compressor.

Originally got a foot pump which was fine but after a while the pressure gauge has gone so time to replace it.

Decided to get a GHB rechargeable inflator from Amazon... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0734QJR7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NhIVAbXFEYGC4

Early impressions are good, comes with both a 240v and 12v charger. Easy to use just preset required pressure and press on button.

Fairly quiet so no worries about waking neighbours doing tyres in the morning and fairly quick. Only minor niggle is there is no deflate option and works on typical pump then check cycle so if it goes over preset pressure it will stay at that and you'd need to manually deflate, that said it's normally only 1/2 to 1 psi over so could just as easily be ignored.

Can't comment on battery life yet. Fairly small size as well so shouldn't be problem finding somewhere for it to be stowed on bike for emergencies.

Hi Via (sounds like a German saying "high wire"!!!)

This looks quite handy - how many inflates can you do off one charge and does it indeed recharge in 90 minutes?

Cheers

S23.

Hi Via (sounds like a German saying "high wire"!!!)

This looks quite handy - how many inflates can you do off one charge and does it indeed recharge in 90 minutes?

Cheers

S23.

From new it had some charge in it but put it on charge anyway and was less than half hour to fully charge (240v charger has red/green indicator led).

Other than that can't comment yet, I'm more concerned with natural dissipation because it will most likely spend most of its time on bike so hoping it will still be charged when needed. But bottom line with that and your questions is I've just not had it or used it enough yet to tell.

Personally. I would see this as a great excuse to fit an accessory socket.. not only to ensure the inflator will always work in an emergency. But also, handily.. you will always have the means to keep your phone fully charged.. and have a convenient point to connect a 12v battery charger. I think an accessory socket is just about the handiest extra you can add to any bike. And they're not exactly expensive. or difficult to fit/site.

for example. http://tinyurl.com/y8llope6

A well regarded portable tyre pump is one of these. http://tinyurl.com/ycqx56hl. Though, unlike the GHB it doesn't have its own battery,

Personally. I would see this as a great excuse to fit an accessory socket.. not only to ensure the inflator will always work in an emergency. But also, handily.. you will always have the means to keep your phone fully charged.. and have a convenient point to connect a 12v battery charger. I think an accessory socket is just about the handiest extra you can add to any bike. And they're not exactly expensive. or difficult to fit/site.

A well regarded portable tyre pump is one of these. http://tinyurl.com/ycqx56hl. Though, unlike the GHB it doesn't have its own battery,

Hi Gerontious, I agree....but be aware that certain bikes (ask me how I know this :roll:) have an accessory socket that is only fused to 3A or so, this is only good for charging low-draw gear such as phones or GPS. If you try & plug a portable compressor in, it will just blow the fuse....if you just put a bigger fuse in, you can then melt the wiring.....best way forward is to install a secondary fuse box fed directly from the battery (or you can use a relay so it's only energised when ignition is on) via 30A fuse then with the appropriate gauge wiring/fusing to each accessory. Power sockets, waterproof USB sockets etc. freely available on Ebay.

Hi Gerontious, I agree....but be aware that certain bikes (ask me how I know this :roll:) have an accessory socket that is only fused to 3A or so

If you try & plug a portable compressor in, it will just blow the fuse....

What bike has a 3A fused accessory socket? and where is it positioned on the bike?

Hi Gerontious, I agree....but be aware that certain bikes (ask me how I know this :roll:) have an accessory socket that is only fused to 3A or so, this is only good for charging low-draw gear such as phones or GPS. If you try & plug a portable compressor in, it will just blow the fuse....if you just put a bigger fuse in, you can then melt the wiring.....best way forward is to install a secondary fuse box fed directly from the battery (or you can use a relay so it's only energised when ignition is on) via 30A fuse then with the appropriate gauge wiring/fusing to each accessory. Power sockets, waterproof USB sockets etc. freely available on Ebay.

Yep this spot on, I have an accessory socket on my bars, which is great for sat nav or phone, but when I tried my compressor in it, the fuse blew.

I installed another under my seat wired direct to the battery using an optimiser type plug, so I use this one if I need to use the compressor.

I have an accessory socket on my bars, which is great for sat nav or phone, but when I tried my compressor in it, the fuse blew.

Thats pretty normal for a socket that was factory fitted at (or near) the bars.. its designed specifically for low draw items like a GPS.

(in theory) the owners manual should tell you what its designed for and what should not be used.

Hi Gerontious, I agree....but be aware that certain bikes (ask me how I know this :roll:) have an accessory socket that is only fused to 3A or so

If you try & plug a portable compressor in, it will just blow the fuse....

What bike has a 3A fused accessory socket? and where is it positioned on the bike?

The clue is in my profile.....it lives in a little glove box on the top LH side of the fairing.....

ah.. now I remember, someone with that bike told me about it.. its got a weird name. I couldn't understand what possible use it was except to power a phone kept in the glovebox. 2.5A and only live with the ignition on. fairly limited use for something like that tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Just after seeing this thread, I bought an "Oasser" battery tire inflator off Amazon (basically a clone of the GHB but about £5 less). Used it in anger today to top up the boots on my FJR 13. Well, it needed it - back needed 12 PSI, front 8 PSI. Did the job in no time, very pleased with it. Only warning - wait a bit and let it cool down a bit before removing the pump's metal valve connector from the tire. 'Cos it gets hot. Fekkin' hot. Go on - ask me how I know (ouch!).

But it seems like a good bit of kit - we'll see how long it lasts on one charge.

Edited by Anonymous

Not really put mine through its paces yet but does what I got it for perfectly (weekly tyre top up) only normally putting a few psi in then charged back up and in bag.

TBH probably will keep it when I start using ER5 even with accessory port on that as no wires to worry about unwinding, still got a 12v lead with it that I can keep on bike as well in case of emergencies.