On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

cheap vacuum gauges

Forum rules
Please use this section of the forum to share your OWN PERSONAL reviews of products you have tried and tested.

Title: Please use the product name

Main Text: Please include product name, model, price and when bought, good points, bad points, recommendation. Please be factual in your review of your experiences of the product.

Examples of what to include:

Helmet - make, how comfortable it felt, how easy to fasten/unfasten, how easy to remove visor.
Tyres - make, how many miles they lasted, how confident did they make you feel when cornering, how quick did they heat up.
Luggage - type, make, how easy to fit, how much does it carry.

Include: brand name, model, price, good points and bad points and whether you would recommend this product or not.
Exclude: direct url links to shops/businesses that sell the product - all links will be removed in accordance with site rules.

Thank you in advance for the time and effort that goes into writing reviews. The information in this section will prove invaluable to everyone!
stewslash
Bike(s): street triple

cheap vacuum gauges

Post by stewslash » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 am

i cant put the make or model because its not stated on the instructions or the box
as soon as i started the bike when attached, the needles were bouncing everywhere i raised revs to about 1800rpm still bouncing like mad from 12 to 6 o'clock on the gauges totally unreadable till revs were raised to about 5000 rpm , 3 gauges were idifferent reading ranging from around 9 - 12 o clock and the other showing round 4 o clock (basically the opposite side of the gauges than the other 3) :(

So i tried to calibrate them with the engine off using the calibration screw to discover the spring that controlled the reading behind that gauge had totally unraveled and was a total mess, i managed to reinstaal the spring correctly re calibrated them

As soon as a re attached them to the bike and started it the same thing happened , the same gauge attached to a different carb went to a opposite reading than all the other 3 , switched off took gauges apart again and the spring was un ravelled :twisted:

EDIT

it turns out i had one faulty dampening valve on one of the gauges ( it wouldnt shut off or even half shut off)
i got myself a replacement one from a local aquarium as they use the same valves on the air pump systems on fish tanks!,
one thing i will say about my experience with these gauges is to have all your dampening valves shut of before you start the bike and gently open them to achieve a stable-ish reading as the start up of my bike caused one gauge to spin right around and mess the spring up on the gauge

good points

cheap

easy to use

and do the job well enough

bad points

crap instructions

rubbish plastic dampening valve
Last edited by stewslash on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4069 times
Been liked: 3548 times

Re: cheap vacuum gauges

Post by Stu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Did you not attach the in line dampers? I have the same set and they work flawlessly
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

mattycoops43
Bike(s): 2000 VTR1000
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by mattycoops43 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Yep, does sound like you might have a faulty set, with the one dodgy reading, but i have used these, with dampers and they were great!
Ramming speed Captain!

1980 Honda CB250RS
2000 VTR1000 Firestorm
1999 Fazer FZS600
1998 Yamaha XJ600N
1995 Honda CB750N2
1982 Suzuki GS550E
1985 Honda CX500
1980 Kawasaki Z200

Pete
Bike(s): BMW R1200GS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pete » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Could have just been an airleak somewhere (anywhere between gauges, hose and nipple).

Best carb balancers I've ever used (and cheapest!) are one's I've made myself. It's easy, all you need is a bit of clear tubing, two milk bottles, a couple or rubber bungs and a glue gun.
Can't wait to get back out there

http://www.peteblakemore.co.uk

stewslash

Post by stewslash » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:45 pm

yes you guys were right the gauge that was being a pain in the ass had a faulty damper valve fitted to it,it wouldn't shut off, I had to get a new one from a local aquarium :) , they use similar things on the air pump systems in fish tanks
I will edit the review later on
thanks for the tips

pointblank0
Bike(s): Honda 900f2 Hornet, Yamaha XV535 (96)

Post by pointblank0 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:06 pm

I have been thinking of getting one of these for my tool collection. How much is this set?

stewslash

Post by stewslash » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:20 am

£45.00 new

pointblank0
Bike(s): Honda 900f2 Hornet, Yamaha XV535 (96)

Post by pointblank0 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks mate. I may buy one when I next do a service.

Return to “Tool Reviews”