On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

Makita DTW1002Z 1/2 inch impact wrench

Forum rules
Please use this section of the forum to share your OWN PERSONAL reviews of products you have tried and tested.

Title: Please use the product name

Main Text: Please include product name, model, price and when bought, good points, bad points, recommendation. Please be factual in your review of your experiences of the product.

Examples of what to include:

Helmet - make, how comfortable it felt, how easy to fasten/unfasten, how easy to remove visor.
Tyres - make, how many miles they lasted, how confident did they make you feel when cornering, how quick did they heat up.
Luggage - type, make, how easy to fit, how much does it carry.

Include: brand name, model, price, good points and bad points and whether you would recommend this product or not.
Exclude: direct url links to shops/businesses that sell the product - all links will be removed in accordance with site rules.

Thank you in advance for the time and effort that goes into writing reviews. The information in this section will prove invaluable to everyone!
Matt Strange
Subscriber
Bike(s): GSXR1000 K6, CBR900RRX
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Makita DTW1002Z 1/2 inch impact wrench

Post by Matt Strange » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:31 am

I've wanted a battery power impact wrench for a while, I have a good selection of cordless makita 18v tools so I've been waiting
for an improved model to come out over the DTW450Z that had 440nm of torque, pretty high when it comes to bikes but a bit
puny for vans/trucks - the hubnut on a Ford /Transit is 450nm & a decent air wrench is about 1000nm break-off torque for cracking
tight nuts/bolts.

It took a couple of years but Makita have recently brought the DTW1002Z out and my word is it a monster! :shock:
It will tighten up to 1000nm and has a break-off torque of 1600nm, absolute overkill for what I wanted it for. But for £220 (body only)
and half the cost of a Snap-On with 2/3 the power, I'm happy to settle for what it offers :) .

I've tested it recently, A week ago I had to undo the front hub nuts to remove and replace some front brake disks on a Mk7 Transit.
It undid the wheel nuts like they were finger tight and the hub nut with a couple of "rattles". OK, it's pretty heavy but that can be a
bonus when it comes to resisting the body of the tool twisting against the direction of motion when in use. The dual LED lights are
bright and dead handy when under a vehicle with poor work area lighting. Battery life with a 5ah battery is impressive. There is
also a three mode selectable power/torque switch on the foot of the tool, where the battery slides on.

If you do any serious heavy work on vehicles, this is highly recommended. Good for undoing sprocket nuts and clutch basket/flywheel
nuts etc too.
dtw1002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matt Strange on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
I have a photo album, look, see! ---->

Mr Fro
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 980 times

Re: Makita DTW1002Z 1/2 inch impact wrench

Post by Mr Fro » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:49 am

Cheers for the review - this is on the list of things to sneak in to the garage while the wife isn't looking. ;-)

Was it £220 with battery or body only?

Matt Strange
Subscriber

Post by Matt Strange » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:56 am

Body only (changed the op, thanks), 5ah batteries are around £85 iirc but drop in price regularly.

The 3ah batteries are much cheaper and still available + good, charge in 22mins, the 5ah are amazing though and charge in 45mins. Chargers are about £30.

drzhooner

Post by drzhooner » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Mac tools have theirs too, simular price and specs

Mr Fro
Subscriber

Post by Mr Fro » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:55 pm

I've got a 3ah already on the drill - lasts aaaaages. I've heard grinders are a bit hungry so the 5ah is probably a good move.

Matt Strange
Subscriber

Post by Matt Strange » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:10 am

Ah cool, like me you already have Makita gear so can make use of the batteries! :)
Yep, the grinders and also the saws (I have a jigsaw, reciprocating and circular) are
heavy on the batteries. The jigsaw not so much as it is brushless.

I'm sure the Mac wrench is good, Milwaukee make one too that is probably an even higher spec
now. Though to me there's not much point in buying a tool that I don't have batteries for, I'd rather
use existing ones mainly for the convenience of having so many of them. I have two chargers
and six Makita batteries in total, four 5ah and the two 4ah that came with my drill/impact
driver kit.

Mr Fro
Subscriber

Post by Mr Fro » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:55 am

Got enough batteries then! ;-)

Primarily I want a cordless grinder so I can chop stuff up and in to the car at the steel merchant rather than fannying about getting 6m+ lengths delivered.

Have you run a battery flat on it yet? How long did you get out of it?

Matt Strange
Subscriber

Post by Matt Strange » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Hard to say, I only really use the 18v grinder for chopping off the odd bolt and cutting slates/tiles/bricks etc. It will vary for each material of course,
the 5ah lasts what i would say is a reasonable amount of cutting if i charge a dead one straight away - even using only two batteries I don't tend to
kill one while the other is charging and end up having to wait around.

Return to “Tool Reviews”