Dewalt DCF899 impact wrench

Via

Owned this for about a year now and absolutely amazing wrench.

Was always sceptical about battery over air and stuck with my air compressor setup for years, moved a couple of years ago and garage has no power, plus a public footpath between house and garage means running permanent power would be a nightmare.

So took the plunge and picked up the DCF899 with 2x5ah batteries and charger for £450. Much cheaper now seen screwfix do bare unit for £150. Did seem an expensive purchase but by time you add up cost of compressor, tools and ancillary bits it works out much cheaper than equivalent air options.

As said was sceptical about how much power a battery operated wrench could actually put out and was totally converted first use, in fact I've undone vast majority of bolts on power setting 1 or 2 (out of 3). On paper it has 950nm of torque and 1650nm breakaway torque which is crazy figures. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing it shearing bolts (on purpose) and cracking lorry wheel nuts.

It is quite a bulky unit but not much more bulky than an air wrench so working on cars can be a hassle at times finding space, on bikes though didn't find many bolts I couldn't get on with it.

As for battery life, I've used it to take all 4 wheels off car a few times, all the front suspension off, for entire rebuild of ER5 and plenty of other small jobs inbetween and battery still shows full after initial charge!

DSC_0540.thumb.JPG.fb244ec14860cc69e4ed5c46c92d34cd.JPG

Useful feedback. I was wondering though how you manage in a garage without power for lights, battery chargers etc.

It's a royal pain in the @$$ normally have to run out an extension lead and got a portable spot light that I normally hang from ceiling for lighting.

Most of my tool chargers are now indoors which is not ideal either. When I had to charge ER5 battery I ended up taking that indoors as well so I could leave it for a decent time, can't really leave extension lead over path unattended for too long.

One thing I really miss from previous house!

Impact wrenches are great tools, i have a Milwaukee and wouldn't be without it, Dewalt stuff is generally good gear.

Before buying it was checking all the reviews of main ones and Milwaukee and Dewalt ones very much on par so went with Dewalt purely because already got Dewalt drill and driver so can interchange batteries.

Definitely worth it's weight in gold made everything so much easier.

I recommend angle grinder if you don't have one.

Tbh still got my £20 B&Q special angle grinder, does it's job but funnily enough a battery powered one is on the list.

Tools are my nemesis, barely got any space left in garage certainly not enough to ever get a car in it just about squeezed in ER5 :lol:

Yeah that's my thought, given mine plenty of stick but at same time such a hassle now to run extension out to them cut one bolt and put it back so a battery one would be great for odd small job

Then I just need to find a battery powered welder and I'm sorted :lol:

:lol: never even thought of looking for one, bet it's not cheap though - not going to even look or I'll be too tempted!

Got a really old mig welder now I bought from a friend following their dad's passing, best welder I've ever owned! Absolute beast of a machine.

Also got a pre ww2 bench drill, again runs smooth as anything, changed chuck for a keyless one but otherwise not needed a thing doing to it.

Really don't make tools like they used to!

:lol: Yeah but don't think I can weld in bed :cry:

You can’t still be bedridden. You are spinning this injury for all it’s worth. 😀 I’ve friends who had both hips replaced up and about hours after the op.

Glad to see your sense of humour is still intact. :wink:

I've still got an old style arc welder, can't get on with the mig, probably need more practice. Can never get the feed speed right.

:(

Need speed and power to match thickness your trying to weld, set power, and adjust speed till you get constant smooth crackle from weld, plenty of YouTube vids, it's just practice.

Edited by Bender