Chain Monkey

Forum rules
Please use this section of the forum to share your OWN PERSONAL reviews of products you have tried and tested.

Title: Please use the product name

Main Text: Please include product name, model, price and when bought, good points, bad points, recommendation. Please be factual in your review of your experiences of the product.

Examples of what to include:

Helmet - make, how comfortable it felt, how easy to fasten/unfasten, how easy to remove visor.
Tyres - make, how many miles they lasted, how confident did they make you feel when cornering, how quick did they heat up.
Luggage - type, make, how easy to fit, how much does it carry.

Include: brand name, model, price, good points and bad points and whether you would recommend this product or not.
Exclude: direct url links to shops/businesses that sell the product - all links will be removed in accordance with site rules.

Thank you in advance for the time and effort that goes into writing reviews. The information in this section will prove invaluable to everyone!
Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 848 times
Been liked: 2323 times

Chain Monkey

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 pm

This was an idea from Dragons Den, there are various You Tube reviews and instructions how to use it - so I won't repeat all that here. Suffice to say it is a very simple principle which is very easy to use in practice. You use the Chain Monkey to create a kink in the chain, you then adjust the chain until it is tight, when you remove the Chain Monkey the kink is removed which gives you the correct amount of slack.

I'll start with the bits that are not so good because there are a couple - but overall I'd say there are more positives than negatives:

Against:
1. It is expensive for what it is. £25 rrp for something which really ought to cost about half that. But I guess there's R&D costs and a lot of money spent bringing it to market.
2. The settings are not 100% precise. You measure the chain size then use a chart to determine what slack your chain is meant to have. That then gives you the setting to use. The snag is that the ranges given for slack need a little bit of common sense applied.

For example - my 2006 Honda CBF500 has a 15mm chain with recommended slack of 30mm to 40mm. For that size chain the ranges and settings on the Chain Monkey chart are:13-24 (0), 25-38 (1), 39-51 (2), 52-64 (3), 65-77 (4), 78-90 (5). So that gives me setting 1 - which creates slack in the range of 25-38mm. That covers my range but obviously I needed to ensure I didn't overtighten the chain or I'd drop below the 30mm minimum.

For:
1. It is dead simple to use in practice.
2. Once you've got the tension spot on you can keep a note of the setting to make sure it's right next time. (I might see if it's possible to replace the black rubber stopper with a couple of nuts locked in place.)
3. I found it easier to get the tension set using the tool. Normally I have to make several adjustments after tightening everything up - this seemed to get it right first time. Using the Chain Monkey I just made sure I didn't turn the adjusters to make the chain was too tight - which meant that when I then removed the tool it gave me slack of 35mm - exactly half way in the 30-40mm range. I rarely get it spot on first time.

So - it's expensive for what it is but it does seem to work and I certainly found it easier to get the chain tension right first time.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Speedy23

Re: Chain Monkey

Post by Speedy23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Do you have to find the tight spot first?

Joeman
Subscriber
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has liked: 1150 times
Been liked: 973 times

Post by Joeman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:20 pm

The cheap pikey way is to use a cable tie.
Put it round the rollers a few links apart, pull it tight to create the kink, chop it off when done. Sorted.

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Has liked: 616 times
Been liked: 628 times

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Yes I’ve seen them and contemplated getting one myself. Thanks for the write up.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Westbeef
Fireman Sam!
Bike(s): FZS600
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 688 times

Post by Westbeef » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:23 pm

I got one for xmas, but haven't had to adjust my chain since so not even opened it yet :lol:
Check out my discord server for all things motorbike related!
https://discord.gg/TYrZe5C

fullscreenaging
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by fullscreenaging » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 pm

I’ve been using this for about a year. Bought one with some Xmas money last year.
Saves a lot of pissing about so we’ll worth the money in my opinion.
Next purchase from these guys will be the chain alignment tool so just waiting for Xmas 😉
They have the full range of stuff these guys do in Halfords. I will be using my trade card 😁
What the whole world farted at once?

Return to “Tool Reviews”