Biker hits ped!

KTM21

Pedestrian should always check when crossing road between parked or stationary traffic......could easily have been a cyclist and not a motorcycle coming through the traffic. So, unless she was crossing at a designated crossing place, she is responsible for the collision. But it does highlight the dangers of filtering.....and you really need to have your wits

about you when doing it..... :wink:

yeah, not like she was invisible. bad stuff by both. The ped's attitude stunk though. "You've hit me, it's definitely your fault - nothing to do with me." and she walked away from the scene of an accident - she could have done some damage to that chaps bike!

I think that had the woman been a car, there would have been hatred directed to her and a SMIDSY campaign promoted.

As it is, they are both to blame but the motorcyclist really should have been aware of the risks, more so for his own safety, had that have been a car user that wanted to see what's causing the hold up...

I'm with the biker. Sloppy observation and needs to learn from it, but when push comes to shove why was she looking the wrong way when she decided to cross a one way street?!? And throught the subsequent crossing? And when -let's be honest - you would hear the bike coming from a pretty decent distance?

I'm with the biker. Sloppy observation and needs to learn from it

100% agreed.

12s - I see the woman.

14s - I would have been slowing down for the van that might have pulled out.

16s - I am now hitting the brakes for the woman.

He also talks about "only doing 20". I watched this video last night and today was doing 20 through stationary traffic just to test. I realized that when stationary, 20mph would be the upper limit of my speed, I wouldn't be referring to that as "only".

End of the day, it's 50/50 here but he will get himself knocked down (if he hasn't already) for, as Ollie said, poor observations and not risk assessing the situation well enough.

• 1 month later...

That road is in my local area, She has parked in the Sainsbury car park as that's closest to town, and is running to meet someone in the town centre as its still a fair distance away. A lot of people do that. that roads always busy.

Her fault, she hits the bike 2 seconds after stepping off the pavement. Before that she is on the pavement heading along it until she takes a swerve onto the road without looking. It was not as if she was heading towards the road at 90 degrees or turning her head to give the biker a clue as to what she was going to do.

Unless you all did 5 mph max and can stop instantly to save pedestrians from themselves I do not see how anyone can criticise the biker here. He managed to stay upright and not collide with any of the cars.

Unless you all did 5 mph max and can stop instantly to save pedestrians from themselves I do not see how anyone can criticise the biker here.

Because his observations are shit in this video. He didn't slow down for the pedestrian who was CLEARLY crossing (as stupid as that is) or the van that *could* have pulled out and splatted him.

Unless you all did 5 mph max and can stop instantly to save pedestrians from themselves I do not see how anyone can criticise the biker here.

Because his observations are shit in this video. He didn't slow down for the pedestrian who was CLEARLY crossing (as stupid as that is) or the van that *could* have pulled out and splatted him.

Or someone could have opened their car door, or there was a kid who even you could not see because of the cars, or a dog, or...... So do you ride at 5mph everywhere?

I lean towards it being the old biddys fault, yes the rider should have seen her, but you can see in the video she is running all the way and doesn`t give a single look.

Away in her own selfish wee world

• 4 years later...

Old thread but the question is still valid. For my money, the biker was at fault. He should have been stopped at least a car length away from the pedestrian at the moment she emerged into the path of the rider.

Way too fast , he was probably trying to impress the scooter rider . I don't blame the pedestrian because she thought that the traffic was stationary but in fairness the video ends before it can be established whether the bike rider pulled over to apologize .