Bollocks- dropped it! A Comedy of Errors

bmwdave

Four of us went for a ride today, names will be changed to protect the guilty.

Our leader and route planner - lets call him Fred - missed a left turn so took the next one intending to do a u-turn. This turned out to be a steep uphill narrow country lane. He attempted the turn opposite a driveway to give himself extra room, but still couldn't make it and ended wheel against a wall, now pointing downhill and off balance to the right. He didn't have the strength to push his VR1200 back up the hill so asked for help. Bill and Bob had both started their turns but were blocked by Fred and were now both right foot down across the slope. As the tail end charlie I was still pointing uphill, so jumped off to drag Fred backwards a couple of feet, and all three of them were able to complete the turn, and stopped a few yards down to wait for me. I of course being determined not to get too close to the opposite wall, tried to get round on full lock, overbalanced , and being short of leg couldn't stop the bike falling downhill. Handlebar and brake lever ends scratched along with pillion peg, small marks on side panel and BMW badge cracked.

The other 3 all parked up and came to help, but Bob parked his 1200 carelessly, it didnt fall but was at quite an angle. When we all remounted to leave, he found himself at too much of an angle to get the bike upright. Worse he had rolled forward slightly down the hill and the sidestand had folded. He called for help and Bill was quickest to get there and give him a push up.

From there it was only about 400yds to our scheduled mid ride stopping point, we were all ready for a break by then. The return trip passed uneventfully, that was a relief I can tell you.

oops! I'm of the opinion if you're going to spoon it up though you may as well do it in a group so they can help pick you up :lol:

take it the only human damage was pride based?

Very much so :oops: :oops: :oops:

Don't sweat it Dave. Done it myself on my current bike and managed to minimise the damage by taking some of the weight before it hit the floor. Shit happens, don't be embarrassed about it and just move on. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Most of us have done it....

Guilty of putting mine on full lock and also being short of leg it lurched right and went down. I tried to hold it, buts its three times my body weight, so slipped a disc in the process the process. But no mark on the bike :cheers:

Hardest bit was telling the husband, it was only three days old.

Found out a month later that the wheel alignment had been seriously out which was why it kept lurching right. Still terrified of tight right turns, but getting better. :angel12: