Arwen's test rides

Arwen

So I thought I might make a topic on my quest to buy a bigger bike incase it is useful to anyone else looking at changing bikes.

I'm in no rush to buy a bigger bike since passing my full A licence, so I am taking my time and trying as many as possible!

Just for prosperity, my current bike is a honda MSX 125, which is slightly modified... (Akrapovic exhaust/header, Hel brake line, custom seat and a few other bits...)

I've ridden this mostly commuting for the past 2 years, and I'm keeping it alongside any bigger bike I get.

Bikes I used in training for my licence were a 2004 Suzuki SV 650N, which I hated the weight of. And an old Yamaha Diversion 600, which although I couldn't reach the side stand while on the bike, i actually really enjoyed.

First test ride was this afternoon, on a brand new Honda CB500f in a lovely orange colour. It has 60miles on the clock so still breaking in.

IMG_20170406_151808.thumb.jpg.a1c76ae28589d6b9feddb595fb654eba.jpg

I had it out on the road for about 2hrs, doing a total of 55 miles. Around the city I did lots of start-stop traffic, some filtering and lots of slow moving traffic. The bikes handled very well turning ability seems very like the MSX. However the clutch too me a while to get used too. It seems rather heavy.

Out on dual carriageway I was a bit giddy from the drastic change in acceleration compared to my little msx = much fun!! After I got this out my system I found it a bit too vibratey around the 50-60mph range when still in anything other than 6th gear. When in 6th however it was perfectly smooth, and still had enough pull for an overtake at 70mph.

On the country roads I took it handled the awfulness of crumbling tarmac and moon like surface ok. I think the suspension on this one was set up too firm for me, but it is adjustable apparently.

Overall i enjoyed my afternoon with it. Kinda wish it had a screen, but that could just be me. As i hate the feeling of wind pushing against me. The bike itself was well planted the whole time.

I really like the shimmer effect of the orange paint job. Stock mirrors look bad, but work very well. The exhaust is not as giant as other new bikes exhausts, but it is very very quiet. It growls if you accelerate hard, but other than that it just rumbles away quietly.

Mpg according to the dash was 68.5mpg.

IMG_20170406_165335.thumb.jpg.d723bc2df99b7f4a45e1bd0db326b3b8.jpg

IMG_20170406_151836.thumb.jpg.4f2ce52671bccf1f562986c26077d657.jpg

Next test ride will be in a few weeks time probably. I've been asked/told to take the new Honda Rebel 500 out for a day when it arrives. I'm also wanting to try the BMW G310r and GS when they come out at the end of this month too.

Nice first post :)

I'd say that most bikes are too firm when brand new. I'm 13st and id say my gsxr is a touch too firm too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was kinda hoping that might be the case, that it just needs to "bed in".

If/when I take it out again I'm thinking I might ask to soften it a little. Can adjust both forks and the rear shock apparently. :)

Looks great, perhaps if you went with the cb500f you could fit an aftermarket screen to negate some of the windblast?

Yea that's what I'm thinking. There seems to be a lot of aftermarket screens for it that look rather good. Especially with a dark tint.

Looks great, perhaps if you went with the cb500f you could fit an aftermarket screen to negate some of the windblast?

Yea that's what I'm thinking. There seems to be a lot of aftermarket screens for it that look rather good. Especially with a dark tint.

Cool, it's surprising how much difference it can make to a bike's look - there's an sv650 I see regularly that has a really hideous screen :lol:

Cool, it's surprising how much difference it can make to a bike's look - there's an sv650 I see regularly that has a really hideous screen :lol:

Before

says anything, yes my bike has a horrible screen :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Before

Having now seen your bike, I don't see any issue. Would look hilarious on my bike though :lol:

Cool, it's surprising how much difference it can make to a bike's look - there's an sv650 I see regularly that has a really hideous screen [emoji38]

Before

Having now seen your bike, I don't see any issue. Would look hilarious on my bike though [emoji38]

It's the colour of snot on a bike that otherwise has a superb colour scheme.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So today I enjoyed a lovely hour out on a F700 Rallye thanks to the lovely guys at Motorrad Central (Dalkeith).

No pictures of my own, I sort of forgot as one of the BMW guys came out with me to show me the roads. I don't know the area at all other than the Edinburgh bypass and the A1!

However, this is what it looks like:

2017-F700GS-Rally.thumb.jpg.fdfed563b661aac670881d3253f02276.jpg

So, my thoughts. We spent a bit of time with a low suspension and standard bike side by side, and a whole host of seats. The out come was I definitely need the lowered suspension version to feel properly comfortable manually moving it and at a stop. I can manage the standard one, but even on a slight incline it was very difficult for me to move it.

I decided to stick with the low seat as well for the test run, as it didn't feel bad to me. Plus, it's easier to make a seat more comfortable than to make it shorter!

And now out on the roads! We took in a mix of roads, slow moving town stuff, fast twisty county roads, horrible crumbling country "roads" and a little dual carriageway.

Overall, I absolutely love the bike. It feels so easy to get round corners and there is pretty much no vibrating through the bars or the pegs. Something I did notice on the CB500f...

Also, on the Honda I found the throttle to be "stiff". It wasn't that it didn't move smoothly, it just required more force than I was used to.

The F700 however is ride by wire, and wow! It feels as light as my MSX throttle! I have no idea how it works, but it feels fantastic.

The clutch is a little heavy, but not as heavy feeling as the CB500f. The bike had 600 miles on it so I imagine the clutch is feeling as it should do by now

Gear changes were also soooooo smooth and positive feeling. At no point did I think " is it in neutral?" Riding position for me was spot on, slightly​ leaning towards the bars, but nice and relaxed. The suspension seemed to soak up everything. We went down some rather horrible roads. Not gravel, but pretty crumbly tarmac and I never felt concerned about the bike. It simply went where I pointed it with no fuss.

So back at the shop we did some maths and looked on the stock sheet and build lists. Currently no Rallye LS (low suspension) bikes in the UK stock, but out of the 8 more that the garage have ordered for stock 4 are LS versions. And 2 have names against them....

So urm yea.... My name is now against one of the remaining 2! It is "temporary" for now. Need to confirm some finance with HQ - the finance deal I'm getting it on is due to run out at the end of June, but the bikes delivery date is currently mid July. So either the finance will carry over for me, or the bike will be delivered sooner. All going well, should be confirmed on Monday/Tuesday and I'll put a deposit down then for it to be officially mine.

I'd also like to mention how fantastic a dealership Motorrad Central are. It was an absolute joy to be there again compared to my local BMW dealer (who I live less than 5 miles from...). We chatted with many of their staff, including the owner. Who ended up giving me tips on riding big bikes. He's got the same instep as me yet rides a 1200GSA!

Also, the free coffee and breakfast rolls were very welcome! To say I'm happy to travel 73miles (~1.5hrs) to see them rather than the less than 5 miles to my local dealer is an underestimate.

They are firmly my 2nd favourite bike shop. First still goes to Eccose (Honda) in Dundee :-)

So yea, long and short of this test ride. I've possibly bought my next bike! Even though I said I would never buy a brand new vehicle ever again! Oops :oops: :lol:

It is so satisfying that it feels "right" from the start. No iffy bits at all.

No choice in colour for the Rallye spec I think. They are all white with a red frame. It would be my choice anyways however, I really like it :-)

I think it's to keep the 700 and 800 a bit different... The F800gs has USD forks I think.

And have you been spying on my phone Gerontious? Seems I've been looking at way to my picture of them and reading up on everything :-)