Got myself an upgrade

Guest -Elliot-

Guest -Elliot-

Hi all,

Bought myself a nice FZ6 as a step onwards/upwards/across from my ER5. The ER5 served its purpose as a training machine to get me through my tests and lessons and is still a brilliant machine. But as I use my bike for leisure I want something a little more modern (not too modern, too many electronic bits).

Got it for a really good price, full service history and in good general condition for its age.

http://i66.tinypic.com/dy9g7s.jpg

Plans at the moment may be a colour change on the tank to a gun metal colour, a short screen, different mirrors and fit my heated grips. Will try and take some better pictures when I next see daylight! Any feedback good or bad will be appreciated!!

Edited by -Elliot-

Looking at that picture I can almost feel the fun you're going to have this summer . Excellent choice :thumb: I'm glad you still think the ER5 is a brilliant machine , mine never fails to please .

From past experience when i first had my FZ6 check the front sprocket nut is in place and the locking washer tabs are folded over correctly.

:stupid: ooh this is an excellent point it is a known fault

Guest -Elliot-

Cheers for that chaps. Will run over the front sprocket area with the spanners on the weekend and have a good look around it. I am actually struggling to get any interest in my ER5 so may still have it aswell for the forseeable future!

Guest -Elliot-

Haha, fair enough. I am actually a mechanic myself, so being able to do the work isn’t an issue, it’s picking up tools in my personal time that I have an issue with :D. Although I work on cars for work so a bike is a nice change and I am too still learning some of the more intricate bits. Most Japanese machines seem quite reliable and well built, the ER5 I was using before didn’t have much at all to go wrong so never had to fix anything!

Cheers for that chaps. Will run over the front sprocket area with the spanners on the weekend and have a good look around it. I am actually struggling to get any interest in my ER5 so may still have it aswell for the forseeable future!

Place an ad in your training school if you got on with them

Guest -Elliot-

I have now got around to listing it on eBay. See what happens!!

Thanks all for your input.

Have ordered a couple of goodies to go with the new bike, nothing too interesting:

New number plate,

New fly lead to connect the battery to the battery charger (original can stay with ER5 as its neatly installed),

Shorter levers.

Should get around to fitting it all on Saturday, along with the heated grips that have been sat in my spare room for months!!

Guest -Elliot-

Some pictures of tomorrow’s plans.

http://i68.tinypic.com/4vp7oz.jpg

Heated grips, should be an improvement for these cold times!!

http://i66.tinypic.com/10zpxna.jpg

These out of life parts from work will make me a nice charging fly lead, female bulkhead fitting can stay attached somewhere discreet on the bike, lead and male end will attach to my charger.

Also have a fresh number plate with no dealer names etc, and will look into making up a tail tidy next week when work is quiet.

Edited by -Elliot-

FZ6 top bike, was my first big bike did about 20k miles on it...

Yup check front sprocket for nut, also check again if you change the front sprocket, don't ask how I know...

Screens are a bit of a nightmare due to odd shaped Speedo. The best looking i think are the Yamaha originals.

I would not of got another bike but my misses did not like going pillion on it....

Guest -Elliot-

Definitely fun. I took it out for about 20 minutes on Saturday AM until the weather ruined it! Also meant I didnt get time to finish any of the work I wanted to do on it! I am after an aftermarket exhaust, any recommendations?

Definitely fun. I took it out for about 20 minutes on Saturday AM until the weather ruined it! Also meant I didnt get time to finish any of the work I wanted to do on it! I am after an aftermarket exhaust, any recommendations?

Could I recommend you having a google at GPR exhausts for your bike . I haven't got an FZ6 but I can vouch for the quality because I've got one on your second favorite bike, my ER5. I do like the minimalist , one can , two spouts approach although I can't quite see the point of the carbon option if it's hidden under the seat.http://i.imgur.com/240w387.png

Guest -Elliot-

I will have a look into it, thanks for the advice.

Finally got around to fitting my heated grips today.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2wmhr4l.jpg

Also noticed my exhaust has been drilled out by previous owner for what I assume is a noise benefit. I say drilled, it looks like something has been hit into the baffle with a hammer as it is all smashed, couldnt get a photo down the exhaust! It doesn’t sound bad though and I hadn’t noticed anything bad about the sound, so I guess there is no need to rush into changing it.

Fitted my charging fly lead today as well, bike can now sit on it’s optimiser at all times now!

Weather was dry for the first time in about a month, so actually took it out for a blast.

Also noticed my exhaust has been drilled out by previous owner for what I assume is a noise benefit. I say drilled, it looks like something has been hit into the baffle with a hammer as it is all smashed, couldnt get a photo down the exhaust! It doesn’t sound bad though and I hadn’t noticed anything bad about the sound, so I guess there is no need to rush into changing it.

FZ6 exhaust without that hole are all but silent, I have one I know... The is some where online a guide on how to drill an FZ6 exhaust to make a

"Better" noise.

Changing cans on FZ6s with under seat exhausts is not a cheap hobby and I have yet to see after market cans that look better that the OEM

• 10 months later...
Guest -Elliot-

Hi All,

Been nearly a year since the last update,

I don’t have any photos of the progress unfortunately, just the finished article.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s347/eparkes8/64F4FC00-2BAD-4212-98EE-EA069FDA0965.jpeg

Gone from a badly painted maroon colour to gunmetal grey. Swappes the standard car spec silencer for a full Leo Vince system. Added some other little goodies too, hopefully get some more images up soon with the tail tidy and number plate.

Require a power commander now as it is running very rich after changing exhaust. The early models of the FZ6 do not have an O2 sensor so the fuel map is a bit off now.

More updates soon!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest -Elliot-

New chain and sprockets arrived today, along with new bar end mirrors.

Should get it all fitted tomorrow. Spent all about 3 hours of my life cleaning thick grease off the front sprocket and swingarm area, christ knows what the previous owner had been lubing the chain with!!

Pictures of the progress tomorrow!!

Guest -Elliot-