Running In Pt.1 Done

Mawsley

The rev counter changes colour on running in mode. It's nifty. Big Brother scary, but nifty all the same.

For the first hundred miles I was pottering about in at 56mph or below to keep the black bar below 3500rpm, with the odd dash into the orange to get by a vehicle going slower than me. Yes, I was surprised at that too.

IMG_2895.jpg.db5dee1d907908cc9c13106ba556eda4.jpg

It gave me a great opportunity to get used to the plethora of switches, knobs and settings. Oh, and to take in the delights of Rutland and Leicestershire.

The suspension was set to "fireside armchair", power limited to "British summer downpour"...and yet no downpour was forthcoming. Nippy, occasional spit, but not drenching.

First destination was the good old B664, stretching up from Market Harborough to Uppingham. It's a smashing road that's all-too often empty, full of bends, dips, grin-inducing humpback bridges, and a couple of gnarly hairpins.

IMG_2876.jpg.fd998838342f3b8f9df6e318a06b7c1d.jpg

Flying past the Harley dealer, the big crowd of fat lads I'd seen crowding together outside a shut shop a couple of lockdown weeks ago were conspicuous by their absence. Top tip there, chubby types: COVID doesn't like you. It didn't like me. I imagine they were all sweating and coughing in their beds groaning the words 'potato-potato-potato'.

Skipping the plan to stop at the lay-by bike cafe in repurposed container, onwards to the home of Melton Mowbray pies, popularly known as Melton Mowbray. Clever pie naming there.

It's a dull stretch at 50-odd. My screen must have been raised and lowered fifteen times to pass the minutes. I probably played with the suspension and power settings too. Then the ride mode. It's a whole new world for someone who gets confused by kickstands.

IMG_2896.jpg.73c28e6ee2882335db279f4682ddbc65.jpg

The Melton plod was clearly bored waiting for a BLM protest march that wasn't going to happen. I livened up his day by riding by at a legal speed. "Ooh, he looks cool," I could hear him thinking. "I wish I was him."

Tough, copper. You aren't. Now watch me legally scream up to 40 as the limit changes.

A quick left turn and it was off to the B6047 which, thanks to bike journalists has been ruined for everybody. All the sweeping and tight turns, all the rollercoaster straights are now full of space cadets in one piece leathers. And, thanks to their baffle-free exhausts and loose regard for national speed limits, the council has plopped 50mph restrictions along the full length.

Thanks, journos. Thanks, space cadets.

IMG_2902.jpg.2ec91aa8031bb93cce63eb2ee2ee1e0e.jpg

Sharing a coffee with a couple of old boys at Harborough services, doing the route the wrong way around, we laughed at how girls are stupid. I told them my daughter found it funny that I have favourite roads and know their "names". Stupid child.

And off to the land of horse riders, roads full of mud and horseshit, and the site of a bloody battle. Seemed pretty quiet by the time I got there so I'm guessing they'd all popped home for lunch or something.

I decided I'd go off to Daventry to park up outside a place I used to work at. The roads reminded me of how I used to feel doing the 30 mile round-trip commute each day. Next, flicking the V's at the shithole, I left to go to the home of football.

I got a text while in the Cobblers' carpark - my drill was ready for collection. Switching the bike into sport mode, I swam in the heady delights of 4500rpm. All of a sudden the bike made so much more sense, it wasn't built for low speed touring.

Got home to be told "we're watching the Princess Bride as a family".

Err, no. I don't think so. I may go back out again instead if the torrent I missed finally abates.

363104798_Screenshot2020-06-04at15_42_03.png.f5f54d707dfab82d66d11bb725d28750.png

Guest Richzx6r

The rev counter changes colour on running in mode. It's nifty. Big Brother scary, but nifty all the same.

For the first hundred miles I was pottering about in at 56mph or below to keep the black bar below 3500rpm, with the odd dash into the orange to get by a vehicle going slower than me. Yes, I was surprised at that too.

IMG_2895.jpg

It gave me a great opportunity to get used to the plethora of switches, knobs and settings. Oh, and to take in the delights of Rutland and Leicestershire.

The suspension was set to "fireside armchair", power limited to "British summer downpour"...and yet no downpour was forthcoming. Nippy, occasional spit, but not drenching.

First destination was the good old B664, stretching up from Market Harborough to Uppingham. It's a smashing road that's all-too often empty, full of bends, dips, grin-inducing humpback bridges, and a couple of gnarly hairpins.

IMG_2876.jpg

Flying past the Harley dealer, the big crowd of fat lads I'd seen crowding together outside a shut shop a couple of lockdown weeks ago were conspicuous by their absence. Top tip there, chubby types: COVID doesn't like you. It didn't like me. I imagine they were all sweating and coughing in their beds groaning the words 'potato-potato-potato'.

Skipping the plan to stop at the lay-by bike cafe in repurposed container, onwards to the home of Melton Mowbray pies, popularly known as Melton Mowbray. Clever pie naming there.

It's a dull stretch at 50-odd. My screen must have been raised and lowered fifteen times to pass the minutes. I probably played with the suspension and power settings too. Then the ride mode. It's a whole new world for someone who gets confused by kickstands.

IMG_2896.jpg

The Melton plod was clearly bored waiting for a BLM protest march that wasn't going to happen. I livened up his day by riding by at a legal speed. "Ooh, he looks cool," I could hear him thinking. "I wish I was him."

Tough, copper. You aren't. Now watch me legally scream up to 40 as the limit changes.

A quick left turn and it was off to the B6047 which, thanks to bike journalists has been ruined for everybody. All the sweeping and tight turns, all the rollercoaster straights are now full of space cadets in one piece leathers. And, thanks to their baffle-free exhausts and loose regard for national speed limits, the council has plopped 50mph restrictions along the full length.

Thanks, journos. Thanks, space cadets.

IMG_2902.jpg

Sharing a coffee with a couple of old boys at Harborough services, doing the route the wrong way around, we laughed at how girls are stupid. I told them my daughter found it funny that I have favourite roads and know their "names". Stupid child.

And off to the land of horse riders, roads full of mud and horseshit, and the site of a bloody battle. Seemed pretty quiet by the time I got there so I'm guessing they'd all popped home for lunch or something.

I decided I'd go off to Daventry to park up outside a place I used to work at. The roads reminded me of how I used to feel doing the 30 mile round-trip commute each day. Next, flicking the V's at the shithole, I left to go to the home of football.

I got a text while in the Cobblers' carpark - my drill was ready for collection. Switching the bike into sport mode, I swam in the heady delights of 4500rpm. All of a sudden the bike made so much more sense, it wasn't built for low speed touring.

Got home to be told "we're watching the Princess Bride as a family".

Err, no. I don't think so. I may go back out again instead if the torrent I missed finally abates.

Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 15.42.03.png

Sounds like it was a good day all round for you mate and it sounds like you are enjoying the new steed

A great day :smile:

The B6047 was just about my favourite road in the UK until they did that. :crybaby:

The 50 limits haven't really made it to Suffolk so far, but it's just a matter of time.

Sounds like it was a good day all round for you mate and it sounds like you are enjoying the new steed

Cracking day's riding. Naturally I'm going to say I like a bike I'd just dumped a shedload on - but I really like this bike. Really like it.

All the bells and whistles I didn't think anybody ever needs actually contributed to my pleasure. I'm genuinely surprised. All the stuff people had criticised in videos I've watched, mainly the heated grips and the screen, were faultless for me. The grips packed more heat than an American redneck and the screen goes from breezy to making me wonder if my helmet vents had locked shut.

A beast to get up off the side stand mind you :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

Cracking day's riding. Naturally I'm going to say I like a bike I'd just dumped a shedload on - but I really like this bike. Really like it.

All the bells and whistles I didn't think anybody ever needs actually contributed to my pleasure. I'm genuinely surprised. All the stuff people had criticised in videos I've watched, mainly the heated grips and the screen, were faultless for me. The grips packed more heat than an American redneck and the screen goes from breezy to making me wonder if my helmet vents had locked shut.

A beast to get up off the side stand mind you :lol:

I agree the one I test rode had all the bells and whistles on it I just couldn't warrant the price for it so was forced to walk away

240 miles now.

Roads were as good as empty last night. Where on earth was everybody? Was there a telethon to raise money for sensitive types who get offended on the internets? Did Xtreme release a new film?

IMG_2920.thumb.jpeg.d60a27e42cace875ba7a584bf8e6b872.jpeg

Discovered the first flaw - the fob. For reasons known only to itself, Triumph and the company that produces them, the fob isn't starting the machine. Push the button, nothing. Repeat in an increasingly frantic fashion, nothing. Seat off, rest fob on the sensor, starts. I knew I didn't like technology for a reason.

Still loving it though, it combines a little of everything I've loved on my previous machines in a complete package, one that delivers better than My Hermes. But then everything delivers better than My Hermes so that's a rubbish analogy.

Guest Richzx6r

240 miles now.

Roads were as good as empty last night. Where on earth was everybody? Was there a telethon to raise money for sensitive types who get offended on the internets? Did Xtreme release a new film?

IMG_2920.jpeg

Discovered the first flaw - the fob. For reasons known only to itself, Triumph and the company that produces them, the fob isn't starting the machine. Push the button, nothing. Repeat in an increasingly frantic fashion, nothing. Seat off, rest fob on the sensor, starts. I knew I didn't like technology for a reason.

Still loving it though, it combines a little of everything I've loved on my previous machines in a complete package, one that delivers better than My Hermes. But then everything delivers better than My Hermes so that's a rubbish analogy.

Well you cant really grumble if that's the only flaw you have found :thumb: hope you enjoy it

Did Xtreme release a new film?

Yes I did and it was a blockbuster! 8-)

First flaw? I think people define things like that on a non-Jap machine as "character" Dave.

Myself, I'm a devotee of boring and bland that just works!

The B6047 was just about my favourite road in the UK until they did that. :crybaby:

Only the half that is south of the A46 is 50MPH, the northern half (also the better half) is still NSL. This factual inaccuracy has tainted my enjoyment of this review :booty:

Only the half that is south of the A46 is 50MPH, the northern half (also the better half) is still NSL. This factual inaccuracy has tainted my enjoyment of this review :booty:

Fecking critics.

:lol:

That is how I remember it from just last week when i went down that road... south out of Melton.

885812697_ScreenShot2020-06-07at12_54_59.png.e51903cacbbd431be1eedddf91f6da93.png

464 up, and almost ready for the first service. Rode to Hunstanton. Hunstanton is pretty much shut. Even if it had been open I think I’d have spent the same amount of time there...which was none. None time.

The wife wanted me to pick up some rock. She will be surprised to find that rock shops aren’t classified as essential.

F96AD8BB-837E-4D42-9703-C0F4EA7F275B.jpeg.6834eeeb7743e3cb0f4c1ade3aefdfb5.jpeg

9510A317-2C78-4B5F-B7E3-A7F3197AF2F8.jpeg.05cf654a4d0c44f06a144b8b7ec9d0ab.jpeg

Nice looking bike. I like the Alpine Edition. I need to book a test ride on one. The Tiger is in my sights along with the KTMGT and The GSA :thumb:

It was between this and the KTM for me. In the end shaft won over chain. I know the BMW has a following but it leaves me cold.

• 1 month later...