2 week tour through europe.

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? use this section to discuss routes, places to visit, stay and advice
samuel
Bike(s): GSX 650 F
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Re: 2 week tour through europe.

#16 Post by samuel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi guys. Thanks for all the tips and suppot. as for the planning... that was the fruit of 2-3 hours of pc work, 2-3 weeks of looking at maps, 2-3 years of talking about it and 2-3 decades of wishful thinking. We got there in the end. :D

samuel
Bike(s): GSX 650 F
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 6 times

#17 Post by samuel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 pm

just in the extreme off chance anyone is interested I will be getting the overnight ferry to Le Havre, down to Orleans, down to Switzerland, through Liechtenstein, into Austria ( all through the alps) and then up through Germany to Holland and Luxembourg and back into france to Le Havre for the return ferry.
13 days = no sweat, no rushing about and the chance o appreciate the sights these beautiful countries have to offer.

danny

#18 Post by danny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm

hello I might be interested.. is there any room for one more

markhibberd5
Bike(s): Suzuki SV650S (2000)
Challenge score: 20
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 16 times

#19 Post by markhibberd5 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Enjoy, and have a safe trip.

I'd love to read about this route, places to stay etc upon your return as this is a possible honeymoon choice for me and the Mrs next year, so seeing how it goes will give me ideas. :thumb:
A society grows when old men plant trees whose shade they know they'll never sit in.
100 Challenge 2017 - 20 points

sm0129
Bike(s): Honda Pan ST1100, Harley MT350

#20 Post by sm0129 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 pm

samuel wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 pm
just in the extreme off chance anyone is interested I will be getting the overnight ferry to Le Havre, down to Orleans, down to Switzerland, through Liechtenstein, into Austria ( all through the alps) and then up through Germany to Holland and Luxembourg and back into france to Le Havre for the return ferry.
13 days = no sweat, no rushing about and the chance o appreciate the sights these beautiful countries have to offer.
Dont go mad filtering in Switzerland- they don't like it. I had read about it before i went so I just sat in traffic- I witnessed cars deliberately blocking gaps and people actually opening doors to stop it- on one occasion they nearly knocked them of the bike :shock:

Hoggs
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Challenge score: 20
Has Liked: 1802 times
Been Liked: 1223 times

#21 Post by Hoggs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:59 pm

sm0129 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 pm
Dont go mad filtering in Switzerland- they don't like it. I had read about it before i went so I just sat in traffic- I witnessed cars deliberately blocking gaps and people actually opening doors to stop it- on one occasion they nearly knocked them of the bike :shock:
holy crap, they make the north circular sound civilised :shock:
ImageImage

Stopping you having fun since 2017

Gerontious
Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 241 times

#22 Post by Gerontious » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Like any low crime country... when the locals see someone, anyone, break the law.. they react.

we have a similar thing going on here... i definitely "react" when I see a car weaving about in its lane and then as I pass see that the driver has a mobile phone clamped to his or her ear.

Filtering is illegal in Switzerland and attracts a 100CHF fine.. on the spot. if you add onto that filtering and not indicating that adds another 250CHF and you can bet the police will go over your bike and find everything illegal and fine you for that too... this assumes the police are happy to fine you on the spot... it gets more expensive.. a LOT more expensive if they decide to send you before a magistrate.

I know of one guy who did it.. and the fine came to 600CHF... thats about £460 and he got away with it lightly.

If you want to go to switzerland.. read up about their traffic laws and dont break them. If you dont care about their laws.. be sure you have enough money in your bank account. If you cant pay an instant fine... then thats where the fun really begins.

bear in mind.. riding in any built up area and exceeding the speed limit by 12MPH (or 15mph in the countryside) will get you a £180/£200 fine.. on the spot. get caught riding above that speed... and you can kiss your passport bye bye and wait to see a magistrate... probably spending the time in a police cell.

Switzerland is a low crime country for a reason.
sagabona kunjani wena

Chrissb6
Bike(s): Suzuki Busa, Bimota SB6R Gas Gas Honda CBX 1000
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 53 times

#23 Post by Chrissb6 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Top tip, take phrase book and learn the basic lingo of the country your visiting. Please and thank you's will open doors and put smiles on faces which will make your tour all the better. Stay safe, play to the rules enjoy.