Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? use this section to discuss routes, places to visit, stay and advice
Message
Author
goat
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Bandit 600 mk1
Location: North east london
Has Liked: 145 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#1 Post by goat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:36 pm

thought I'd start a rambling thread for a trip myself and my better half are planning next year. Will be our first big bike trip.
Have got three months paid off work (I say paid but on my salary its borderline an insult) so our vague plan is ride from Florida Keys to Prudhoe bay in Alaska. Neither of us have been to North America and obviously a lot we want to see. Work has only recently ok'ed the leave so planning in early stages. Happy for any advice, info, polite suggestions etc. Here is my list of stuff to do which I'll add to as things progress.

Dates are early June to early Sept. No flexibility in this as have had to fit in with work and the like.
Leave approved
Esta applied for and approved
Flights to book (watching prices on Kayak and ready to book when happy)
Kit - (will do a full kit list in time for review and critique). We plan to camp a lot and I have a lot of camping stuff some of which will be upgraded as my better half won't suffer the same level of discomfort that I'll put up with and rightly so. Will have to get some bike kit but hopefully not too much and will likely just get some stuff whilst there as we go.
Bike - I've said it before but I'm not struck on the Bandit and its not comfortable for my pillion so a new bike is in order. I like adventure style and we would like to do some trails so hunt had become, as per my wanted ad I've got a thing for a BMW r1150gsa or Guzzi Stelvio. I'd like to get one here so we can get some saddle time and get familiar with the bike. Not yet decided whether to ship the bike there or buy one there and sell at the end?
International driving licence - need to apply for this (or do I)
Route - Going to list all the places we want to see and then plan a route. I'll update this as well for suggestions of nice roads, trails and the like.

So there it is very little progress made as you can see and lots to sort but already rather childishly excited.

User avatar
Bender
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#2 Post by Bender » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Sounds bloody great, be good to see the progress and the pics from it.
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

User avatar
MR_W
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:11 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX-R750 MotoGP
Location: Bristol
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 151 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#3 Post by MR_W » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 am

The Bonneville salt flats are amazing but you will want to refuel at the last big service stop on the highway. You then have an hour or so of nothing but pretty much untouched land till you get there.

Be warned it is windy as hell out there though.
ImageImage

goat
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Bandit 600 mk1
Location: North east london
Has Liked: 145 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#4 Post by goat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 am

MR_W wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 am
The Bonneville salt flats are amazing but you will want to refuel at the last big service stop on the highway. You then have an hour or so of nothing but pretty much untouched land till you get there.

Be warned it is windy as hell out there though.
salt flats are on my list of things to see so thanks for the tip.

User avatar
MR_W
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:11 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX-R750 MotoGP
Location: Bristol
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 151 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#5 Post by MR_W » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 pm

As you'd be going to Utah there is a great drive up burger bar in Roy called Burger Barn just above Salt Lake city. It features on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

The joys of having a partner from that area means I also have valid locals knowledge. I also know a good Mexican place up that way.

I can also recommend Mariposa if you go to Yosemite (stay there, had a good Mexican there too and a couple of good bars) and if you visit San Francisco, pat's café does a great breakfast.

Also hoover dam and grand canyon have to be on any list. My mind was blown by both, the grand canyon actually left me speechless.
ImageImage

User avatar
bonio
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:16 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1200GS, RV 125 VanVan
Location: Halesworth, Suffolk
Challenge score: 90
Has Liked: 696 times
Been Liked: 242 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#6 Post by bonio » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Wow. What an amazing opportunity!
Here's my tuppence worth: once you're up out of the Florida panhandle - or soonish after- then turn left and go west, young man. Don't give up too much time to crossing the prairie - the vast space to the east of the Rockies. Broadly speaking, from the Rockies to the Pacific is where it's at in terms scenery.
June is a great time to go; the mountain passes should all be open before the end of the month and summer will just be beginning. And by September, Alaska will be in the full throes of Autumn.
Camping: know about what to do to avoid encounters with bears, and what to do if you bump into one.
Two Soups

goat
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Bandit 600 mk1
Location: North east london
Has Liked: 145 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#7 Post by goat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:13 am

MR_W wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 pm
As you'd be going to Utah there is a great drive up burger bar in Roy called Burger Barn just above Salt Lake city. It features on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

The joys of having a partner from that area means I also have valid locals knowledge. I also know a good Mexican place up that way.

I can also recommend Mariposa if you go to Yosemite (stay there, had a good Mexican there too and a couple of good bars) and if you visit San Francisco, pat's café does a great breakfast.

Also hoover dam and grand canyon have to be on any list. My mind was blown by both, the grand canyon actually left me speechless.
we're both love our food and are fans of diners drive ins so will certainly look that up. grand canyon is on the list but forgot about hoover dam so that's now been added as well. thanks again for the info.

goat
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Bandit 600 mk1
Location: North east london
Has Liked: 145 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#8 Post by goat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:17 am

bonio wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:00 pm
Wow. What an amazing opportunity!
Here's my tuppence worth: once you're up out of the Florida panhandle - or soonish after- then turn left and go west, young man. Don't give up too much time to crossing the prairie - the vast space to the east of the Rockies. Broadly speaking, from the Rockies to the Pacific is where it's at in terms scenery.
June is a great time to go; the mountain passes should all be open before the end of the month and summer will just be beginning. And by September, Alaska will be in the full throes of Autumn.
Camping: know about what to do to avoid encounters with bears, and what to do if you bump into one.
that's pretty much our extremely vague early stage plan. Up from florida, head west to new Orleans, carry on west through texas up to Colorado, west to Utah and then down a bit to las vegas and across to California then up. Giant redwoods are definitely on the list as I'm a committed tree hugger.

User avatar
bonio
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:16 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): R1200GS, RV 125 VanVan
Location: Halesworth, Suffolk
Challenge score: 90
Has Liked: 696 times
Been Liked: 242 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#9 Post by bonio » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:04 pm

goat wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:17 am
that's pretty much our extremely vague early stage plan. Up from florida, head west to new Orleans, carry on west through texas up to Colorado, west to Utah and then down a bit to las vegas and across to California then up. Giant redwoods are definitely on the list as I'm a committed tree hugger.
That sounds awesome :thumb:
Two Soups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests