trip to Scotland

fastbob

http://i.imgur.com/vKlUax3.jpgHi all,next month I'm going on a trip to the Scottish highlands. I'm travelling from Coventry to Glasgow initially and to make things more interesting I'm leaving the gsxr in the garage and taking my ER5. I want to avoid all motorways and take things at a relaxed pace . I'm thinking Buxton,Glossop,Kendal Gretna Glasgow via the A6 , B7076 and B7078 . Does anyone have experience of this route? Or can anyone suggest some better alternatives? I think my main concern is getting through or around Greater Manchester with the least hassle.

Can't speak for the stuff south of the border but don't bypass the borders roads on your way up to Glasgow. There's some great riding to be had and it's different from the stuff north of Glasgow. Around Glasgow isn't great, it starts to get good again north of Loch Lomond.

From Gretna I'd suggest heading to Dumfries on the A75 then continuing on the A76 to Carronbridge where you can take the Dalveen Pass to Elvanfoot/Abington and thebin head north on either the B7078 parallel to the motorway or A702/A721. Alternatively you could head a little further north of Carronbridge to Menock and take the Monock Pass to Abington via Wanlockhead (highest village in Scotland, lead mining area). The Dalveen is a bit faster and more flowing, the Menock is steeper and more technical and there's more to see if you wanted to explore a bit. Another good road is the A708 between Moffat and Selkirk but it's a bit of a deviation from the route. The whole area bounded by the M74, A7 and A72 is good to be honest.

If time is not of the essence, then go with what Meggark suggested, or indeed most of the A and reasonably sized B roads in the Boarders/Dumfries and Galloway area are good.

The little roads running right next to the motorway are a bit "meh" if I remember right.

Alternatively, head up the east coast, loads of lovely roads there too. If it comes to it, its only 40miles motorway between glasgow and edinburgh.

If time is not of the essence, then go with what Meggark suggested, or indeed most of the A and reasonably sized B roads in the Boarders/Dumfries and Galloway area are good.

The little roads running right next to the motorway are a bit "meh" if I remember right.

Alternatively, head up the east coast, loads of lovely roads there too. If it comes to it, its only 40miles motorway between glasgow and edinburgh.

Ahh..the little roads right next to the motorway (m74) I.e the B7076 & B7078 were going to be a major part of my plan. I take it"meh" means not so great? I did do a bit of last years trip on these, I think featureless and deserted best describes. I kept ending up back on the M74 by mistake! Any experiences of getting around or through Manchester? That's the bit that really held me up last year .

• 10 months later...

If you are off to Scotland, couple of tips - Firstly get practised at getting your wets on fast ! Beautiful twisties and scenic ride all over west roads out to Malaig, then take the ferry across to and tour Skye, it is stunning. I've Been number of times and if you are doing the north make sure you ride on a full tank all the time, fuel stations are few and far apart. You'll find plenty of company in the evenings with plenty German and Dutch riders. I've used Youth Hostels and Bunk Houses, if you don't mind sleeping in a dormitory.

If you are off to Scotland, couple of tips - Firstly get practised at getting your wets on fast ! Beautiful twisties and scenic ride all over west roads out to Malaig, then take the ferry across to and tour Skye, it is stunning. I've Been number of times and if you are doing the north make sure you ride on a full tank all the time, fuel stations are few and far apart. You'll find plenty of company in the evenings with plenty German and Dutch riders. I've used Youth Hostels and Bunk Houses, if you don't mind sleeping in a dormitory.

Hi James II. Welcome in!

Before anyone says it (cos someone will I am sure...), I might as well add that I think fastbob's trip was last summer; he had a great time of it, I seem to remember.

While you're here, why not pop over to the intros section and introduce yourself?

Geoff

I did the North Coast 500 in van and on bike in 2016. Do Skye, Applecross and the far northwest. Research gas stations before setting off and avoid the A9.

You have spent too long in abroad land. In this country we call them petrol stations.

There are a number which now have pay by debit card facilities, so are in effect open 24/7. So petrol is not the issue it was back when I did my first run, on a bike with a 120 mile max range and it was quarter to 5 and I was not quite sure where the petrol station was....or what time it closed.....never again!

Out of curiosity, why avoid A9?

I am going to tour Scotland leaving 30th this month, doing all the west coast and head forJohn o groat, and on my way back south I planned to use the A9..

rhx

pit

Lots of traffic, HGVs, caravans on A9. Much nicer inland route just west of it. I used the single track road heading south from Tongue. Beautiful route and scenery. No fuel until you get to Lairg though.

It is worth noting that the HGV speed limit is 50mph on the A9. Specific legislation was passed to allow that. It helps with the flow of traffic. At least when on a bike good progress can be made and there is loads of safe places to overtake.

Hi James II. Welcome in!

Before anyone says it (cos someone will I am sure...), I might as well add that I think fastbob's trip was last summer; he had a great time of it, I seem to remember.

While you're here, why not pop over to the intros section and introduce yourself?

Geoff

I certainly did!

thanks for the tips

Hi , my write up is in the thread Scotland no Motorways also in this section , see #20 . Best trip I've done in years mainly because I was on an ordinary 500cc bike ( ER5 ) that I bought for £500 and did up with some cheap panniers and a bag lashed on the back . I had to smile at all the clones on their GS's laden with tin boxes . No idea what gear they carry because they all seem to stay in B&B .

It is worth noting that the HGV speed limit is 50mph on the A9. Specific legislation was passed to allow that. It helps with the flow of traffic. At least when on a bike good progress can be made and there is loads of safe places to overtake.

Brilliant isn't is .

Rest of mainland Uk raised the legal limit to 50 on all single carriageway roads in april 2015 ,

Yet Scotland still has the 40mph ( apart from specified roads) limit .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, greetings from somewhere between loch Lomond and fort Williams...

There was discussions on GS boys sleeping in B&Bs. While I envy their top tech tin boxes, I am right now enjoying very much the camping, sitting by my tent. To me doing Scotland adventure includes tents, plus I cannot and don t want to afford B&B ( unless .y wife come hehe)

Cheers

Pit

Ps: if you see a white vfr1200 with a massive green tent bag on the back with a camelback attached to it, there you go it s me ;)