Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
Six30
Wannabe MOD
Bike(s): Triump Speed Triple r
Has Liked: 900 times
Been Liked: 1553 times

Re: Lock up the farm animals Goat is planning a trip.

#16 Post by Six30 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:44 pm

Sounds excellent :thumb: enjoy
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

goat
Bike(s): BMW R1200 GS.
Challenge Score: 30
Has Liked: 763 times
Been Liked: 469 times

#17 Post by goat » Sun May 27, 2018 2:58 pm

thought I'd update this again, mainly for my own peace of mind organising.
this is where we are at logistically
1). leave approved from work
2). Esta applied for - approved
3). Flights booked
4). International driving licence is needed and now sorted. Didn't realise that not many post offices can issue these so a bit of a pain. Endedup getting it in Norwich whilst visiting family rather than trekking into central London.
5). Kit mainly there with kit, anything else we'll get as we go. Girlfriend seems to have an advantage in being small as all her clothes take up hardly any room so she can take more choice. Just my bloody size 11 trainers take up a load of room. She can take two bike jacket for my one, etc.
6). Bike has been dropped off to be prepped for shipping at motofreight (really lovely people). Return shipping is through a company in anchorage. Everyone has told us you can't ship out of Alaska. We've found a company who say they can and are bike guys, often shipping mates bikes and the like. Will be a container of their own stuff so not consolidated which is good. slight hitch is they can't get it to the UK. Will be coming in by sea freight into Bremerhaven where I will collect and then ride home or sort something else. Not ideal and fraught with issues but part of the adventure (well I bloody hope it is :shock: ).
There is a queue of people ready to say I told you so when this goes wrong, feel free to join them :popcorn:
7). EPA exemption - you need to apply for an non-resident temporary import EPA exemption to import a foreign vehicle. We've sorted this bit took longer than expected because we put the wrong bike age on the original application letter :oops:
8). bike insurance - bike now insured for the trip in USA and Canada through Dairyland insurance. More expensive than I expected but don't want to skimp on insurance.
9). Travel insurance - sorted including insurance to ride in a foreign country 2up on a large bike and off road should we need to

Route mainly sorted up to North of New Mexico, largely staying with tentspacers, a KOA campground and an occasional air bnb type thing. From there we will head to Colorado and Utah where we're hoping to get a bit of wild camping done as we pass through the canyonlands areas. We'll sort the rest on the road somehow so we can keep flexibility in what we want to do.

Two weeks now til we leave. Will feel less apprehensive when I've got the bike and we are moving I think. It might be the distance is all too much or we're having too much fun in the lower 48 and just want to spend more time there, in which case we will look at rearranging our flight home. Apparently return shipping can be arranged without much notice.
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - current affair

goat
Bike(s): BMW R1200 GS.
Challenge Score: 30
Has Liked: 763 times
Been Liked: 469 times

#18 Post by goat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:56 am

Well we are here now. Clearing bike through customs was a pain due to Orlando customs making up their own rules. Finally got it picked up wednesday. Orlando to pompano beach then on to key largo today. Key west and back out to homestead near Everglades tomorrow. Only 300 and something miles so far including some serious Florida thunderstorms, very straight roads and riding in 35 degree heat with 95% humidity. Sitting at traffic lights is pretty brutal. Enjoying every minute though
393edb33-01c2-43d8-a723-79d77eb84319.jpg
IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - current affair