Adriatic Ferries

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
gogs01
Bike(s): R1200RT
Challenge Score: 90
Has Liked: 62 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Adriatic Ferries

#1 Post by gogs01 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:55 pm

I am hoping to take my bike on a ferry from Italy to Croatia next month - planning to see Rimini, Palermo and Dubrovnik.
An online search suggested Bari to Dubrovnik would be ideal, but the only sailings in May don't really suit.
Ancona to Split could work, so I started the process of booking a one way trip. Only one booking per vehicle, so two bookings for two bikes. It's an overnight sailing, so a cabin required and you can book a two berth cabin for one person. My brother and I would normally share but there doesn't seem to be any facility to tie the two bookings together.
I would email or phone, but I haven't managed to find out how yet.
Anybody had any experience of crossing the Adriatic with a bike (or bikes) ? Is it difficult ?
Or is it just me ? :D

Gerontious
Bike(s): 30th Anniversary Africa Twin 'Sports
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 1038 times

Re: Adriatic Ferries

#2 Post by Gerontious » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:28 pm

An alternative is the Bari crossing to Montenegro that puts you 80 miles along the coast from Dubrovnik.

I've been to the foot of Italy on my bike and have no desire to ever go near the place again. I was intent on crossing to Sicily but turned round at Paestum south of Naples.(after a wander round the temples). And raced north... So desperate to get away I used the autostrada.
Brexit: It's been amazing watching people who promised the impossible realise it actually was impossible, to their horror.

German Eifel/Luxembourg 2019

Smithers
Bike(s): Honda NC750X
Has Liked: 285 times
Been Liked: 143 times

#3 Post by Smithers » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:28 pm
An alternative is the Bari crossing to Montenegro that puts you 80 miles along the coast from Dubrovnik.

I've been to the foot of Italy on my bike and have no desire to ever go near the place again. I was intent on crossing to Sicily but turned round at Paestum south of Naples.(after a wander round the temples). And raced north... So desperate to get away I used the autostrada.
What put you off the foot of Italy? Bromodosis? :lol: (serious question).
Underneath every ponytail is a horses ass.

S-Westerly
Bike(s): Multi 950
Has Liked: 425 times
Been Liked: 101 times

#4 Post by S-Westerly » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Split in May is well worth a visit and although it's not quite as pretty as Dubrovnik it's a lot cheaper and the old town is still pretty damned good. Can't speak about Ancona but personally I prefer northern Italy and would ride down through Slovenia with a possible side trip to Trieste.
Pubs: 1/10
Dealers: 2/10
West Country: 1/10
West Midlands: 4/10
Eating places: 1/10

Gerontious
Bike(s): 30th Anniversary Africa Twin 'Sports
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 1038 times

#5 Post by Gerontious » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Smithers wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 pm
What put you off the foot of Italy? Bromodosis?
I don't want to even think about it.
Brexit: It's been amazing watching people who promised the impossible realise it actually was impossible, to their horror.

German Eifel/Luxembourg 2019

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Has Liked: 871 times
Been Liked: 269 times

#6 Post by Richzx6r » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:42 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 pm
Smithers wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 pm
What put you off the foot of Italy? Bromodosis?
I don't want to even think about it.
You cant keep us hanging and we want the gory details
Keep it shiny side up and learn painful experience from others if you can

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 58 times

#7 Post by Marino » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:50 am

gogs01 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:55 pm
I am hoping to take my bike on a ferry from Italy to Croatia next month - planning to see Rimini, Palermo and Dubrovnik.
An online search suggested Bari to Dubrovnik would be ideal, but the only sailings in May don't really suit.
Ancona to Split could work, so I started the process of booking a one way trip. Only one booking per vehicle, so two bookings for two bikes. It's an overnight sailing, so a cabin required and you can book a two berth cabin for one person. My brother and I would normally share but there doesn't seem to be any facility to tie the two bookings together.
I would email or phone, but I haven't managed to find out how yet.
Anybody had any experience of crossing the Adriatic with a bike (or bikes) ? Is it difficult ?
Or is it just me ? :D
Which company you are booking with, jadrolinija or snav? On their web sites you can find contact details. In any case I doubt they will answer your questions but worth to try. May at least first half should not be so busy as season is starting in June.
Dubrovnik is ridiculously expensive worth to visit but if you are there for few nights try to get something far outside the area.
To travel from split to dubrovnik include crossing Bosnian border and back to Croatia again and there could be long waiting as Bosnia is not in eu and border checks could be sometimes ridiculous.
May is good time to go both Italy and Croatia, not to hot according Croatian standards for hot and still not to many tourists.

gogs01
Bike(s): R1200RT
Has Liked: 62 times
Been Liked: 65 times

#8 Post by gogs01 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Now fixed up with SNAV, Ancona to Split. Got a phone call in response to my email and it was then straightforward booking two bikes, two riders and a shared cabin. 0039 081 4285555, and they have English speakers.

I would have gone Bari to Dubrovnik, but the dates didn't work (only two ferries per week).

Going home from Dubrovnik and having to pass through Bosnia and Herzegovina wasn't a worry, did that a couple of years ago. Got a stamp in the passport and a cheery wave :D

If Split turns out to be less expensive than Dubrovnik, that will be a plus ! 8-)