Top touring tips

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
gogs01
Bike(s): R1200RT
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Top touring tips

Post by gogs01 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Pie man wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:19 pm
I used to take a Cable repair kit, less than £10 and is small enough to lose in the luggage. Handy if your bike isn't 'ride by wire' or 'hydraulic clutch'. :)
That wouldn't be any use to me, but I don't need right angle valve adaptors (to allow the use of garage airlines) either, and I carry one of them since a friend managed to snap off his valve trying to force a garage airline on !

Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 444 times

Post by Throttled » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:41 pm

My top tip is that there is no such thing as bad weather, just a poor choice of clothing.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda CRF1000D2 (DCT)
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 1213 times

Post by Gerontious » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Throttled wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:41 pm
My top tip is that there is no such thing as bad weather, just a poor choice of clothing.
There is definitely such a thing as bad weather.. and it has nothing to do with what you are wearing. You can be wrapped neck to foot in goretex and a turn in the weather can ruin a tour.. or turn a day or days to purgatory.

Ive been there, done that. June, 2010. it started raining at Peterborough and rained almost non-stop for 3 days until I reached Lake Garda. I rode through Austria and didnt see a mountain because the clouds were so low.

so there is such a thing as bad weather.. be prepared for it and if at all possible, have a "Plan B" that will take you past it, or around it. or in the opposite direction.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

Six30
TOTY 2019
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Has liked: 2186 times
Been liked: 3553 times

Post by Six30 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Throttled wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:41 pm
twat
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Another post just brought this to mind.

If you have a breakdown and need the bike repaired to the extent that parts need to be fitted.. or say you have a really nasty puncture that cannot be plugged and you need a new tyre.

Be sure to have some credit available or a bit of an emergency pot you can call on. to pay.

And following on from that. If Touring is going to be part of your future. Look at your Bank.. what do they charge for ATM withdrawals. CC transactions. and so on in Europe.

I was with Nat West from leaving school and when I caught the touring bug. First time, when i got back I saw my statement, and had a 'moment' when i saw all the stupidly high extra charges and awful exchange rate. I very quickly moved banks to Nationwide. very small charges. and a fair exchange rate.

I now take euros for general spending and use my credit card for all petrol buying. Its hardly different to using my card at home.

Have a look on moneysaving expert.

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 3543 times
Been liked: 3109 times

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm
Another post just brought this to mind.

If you have a breakdown and need the bike repaired to the extent that parts need to be fitted.. or say you have a really nasty puncture that cannot be plugged and you need a new tyre.

Be sure to have some credit available or a bit of an emergency pot you can call on. to pay.

And following on from that. If Touring is going to be part of your future. Look at your Bank.. what do they charge for ATM withdrawals. CC transactions. and so on in Europe.

I was with Nat West from leaving school and when I caught the touring bug. First time, when i got back I saw my statement, and had a 'moment' when i saw all the stupidly high extra charges and awful exchange rate. I very quickly moved banks to Nationwide. very small charges. and a fair exchange rate.

I now take euros for general spending and use my credit card for all petrol buying. Its hardly different to using my card at home.

Have a look on moneysaving expert.
We got a post office credit car just for this reason! they had the best exchange rate at the time with no charges whatsoever

They also gave a better exchange rate than what you could get by changing GBP to Euro and taking cash

I have also just swapped my halifax card for their card that has no fees on foreign spending
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

rennie
Bike(s): Yamaha Midnight Star 1300
Challenge score: 180
Has liked: 3086 times
Been liked: 913 times

Post by rennie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 pm

We all do it differently! :lol:
My top tip would be don't over plan!
Have a a plan by all means but prepare to be flexible :thumb:
Ian.
2020 challenge: Pubs 3/10
Churches complete

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 819 times

Post by S-Westerly » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:10 pm

rennie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 pm
Absolutely. I'm lucky as I am not usually time limited but usually I have a start point and an end point and the bit in between is pure pot luck. I've found amazing places I'd never heard of with unusual hotels and good food and other times I made an effort to go somewhere I fancied and been deeply disappointed. Agree with Gerontious that weather can be a bugger. Nothing more disheartening than going somewhere known for amazing scenery and seeing nothing but rain and clouds or worse fog.
Less empty roads but at last I can ride them!

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 2863 times
Been liked: 3137 times

Post by fastbob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:42 am

S-Westerly wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:10 pm
rennie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 pm
Absolutely. I'm lucky as I am not usually time limited but usually I have a start point and an end point and the bit in between is pure pot luck. I've found amazing places I'd never heard of with unusual hotels and good food and other times I made an effort to go somewhere I fancied and been deeply disappointed. Agree with Gerontious that weather can be a bugger. Nothing more disheartening than going somewhere known for amazing scenery and seeing nothing but rain and clouds or worse fog.
Regarding the weather , that's exactly the right word , disheartening . If you wear the right clothing your skin may well be warm and dry but days of shit weather do take a psychological toll that can really bring your mood right down . That's when you start to lose the sense of adventure that you set out with and begin to make poor decisions . It's even worse these days because in the past you could convince yourself that tomorrow will be a better day but in this digital age we can see the next wave of shit weather on our phones before it even happens . Even when I try not to look at the forecast I've got a mate who insists on telling me by text . Here comes tomorrow morning's rain by the way .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RantMachine
Bike(s): None... for now
Has liked: 620 times
Been liked: 613 times

Post by RantMachine » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:57 pm

If touring Murrica, KOA.com is hands down the best place to book a camping spot. All have easy access to major roads, a shop, and cheap cabins if you don't fancy a tent.
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

Tankbag
Subscriber
Bike(s): Hayabusa Gen1
Has liked: 1177 times
Been liked: 413 times

Post by Tankbag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Pie man wrote:
I used to take a Cable repair kit, less than £10 and is small enough to lose in the luggage. Handy if your bike isn't 'ride by wire' or 'hydraulic clutch'. :)
I now carry a spare clutch lever :oops:

If it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:24 pm

I just answered a question elsewhere and cant resist posting this YT link here.. as its hysterically funny how they apportion blame.

But.. the point is the same regardless of where you go. 99/100 if you break the law you will get an instant fine that you must pay on the spot. That can be something simple a few euro that you can pay in cash.. or as in the case below. not simple at all.

My tip is.. do a little bit of research on where you are going and local law enforcement. don't be like these two plonkers who went to one of the most popular roads in Switzerland and were caught at 144kmh in an 80 (90mph in a 50) and.. it didn't end well.. at all.

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 1654 times
Been liked: 999 times

Post by dynax » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:24 pm
I just answered a question elsewhere and cant resist posting this YT link here.. as its hysterically funny how they apportion blame.

But.. the point is the same regardless of where you go. 99/100 if you break the law you will get an instant fine that you must pay on the spot. That can be something simple a few euro that you can pay in cash.. or as in the case below. not simple at all.

My tip is.. do a little bit of research on where you are going and local law enforcement. don't be like these two plonkers who went to one of the most popular roads in Switzerland and were caught at 144kmh in an 80 (90mph in a 50) and.. it didn't end well.. at all.

:laugh: I just couldn't stop laughing at that vid, once again my little Xena is all the bike i need and will happily save me thousands on speeding fines :thumb:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 2863 times
Been liked: 3137 times

Post by fastbob » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Tankbag wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:16 pm
Pie man wrote:
I now carry a spare clutch lever :oops:
I actually took a spare clutch for the ER5 a couple of years ago .

smallfrowne
Bike(s): NC30, CG125, DR650, CD250U, VFR750FL
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by smallfrowne » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Haha clutch. :crybaby:

I wish I'd carried a clutch (and the special tool) with me. Quite annoying.

Return to “Touring”