Riding in New Zealand

FlyingTomato

I'm thinking of hiring a bike and touring NZ South Island for maybe three weeks. The roads and scenery look superb. I am however rather put off by my internet research which suggests that speed traps are frequent , especially round the main tourist areas. Apparently this includes unmarked cars and vans. Also it seems the police have pretty much a zero tolerance to speeding. Finally fines are hefty !

I already ride a lot less in the UK due to the proliferation of speed cameras, but at least these are highly visible.

I know the way to avoid problems is simply to stick to the speed limits (usually 100kph I believe) and I do intend mainly to cruise and enjoy the scenery. However old habits die hard and I'm sure I'll be unable to resist having a bit of a blast occasionally on quiet well surfaced twisty roads - for me that's why I ride a bike, otherwise you might just as well be in a car.

Anyone ridden out there and care to share their experiences ?

• 10 months later...

I am a kiwi, we have a lot of cops on the road. it's not a great idea to speed on the State highways, though obviously we do it. We also introduced a rule where if you are 30 KM over the limit you lose your license... The solution? Get a radar!

We run New Zealand motorcycle tours so have heaps of info if you want more details.

Cheers,

Ben

https://www.planetchopper.world/new-zealand-motorcycle-tours

I am a kiwi, we have a lot of cops on the road. it's not a great idea to speed on the State highways, though obviously we do it. We also introduced a rule where if you are 30 KM over the limit you lose your license... The solution? Get a radar!

We run New Zealand motorcycle tours so have heaps of info if you want more details.

Cheers,

Ben

As he signed up, made one post and then scarpered I wouldn't expect a call anytime soon

Cheers,

Ben

As he signed up, made one post and then scarpered I wouldn't expect a call anytime soon

Probably a squashed tomato now :lol: :thumb:

[mention]fastbob[/mention] Lost count of how many people have joined, asked how to fix somthing and then never replied to anyone after the first post :roll:

Now now guys

Just be aware members are checked out before being approved and these are genuine people

Why they don't revisit is a mystery but slating them won't help :thumb:

• 4 months later...

Cheers Stu, at least you're on the case mate... Not easy keeping up with guys..

Now now guys

Just be aware members are checked out before being approved and these are genuine people

Why they don't revisit is a mystery but slating them won't help :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case he does pop back here are the fines for speeding in NZ ... https://www.police.govt.nz/faq/what-are-the-fines-for-speeding

Mind you, if you're out in the wop wops the chances of getting caught are slim!

I thought we lost our license after 40km?

I wouldn't know! .. I never got caught! ;) .. I tell a lie, I once got pinged doing 103kph going down the Bombay hills on state highway 1 on a public holiday! .. Cost me $30 for 3kph over the limit!

• 1 year later...

I got done in South Island at 44 in a 40 limit. 

We’d been following two old duffers through the twistiest way below the limit and the came onto a dual carriageway with the 40 limit so I popped past them and immediately dropped to 40 again. Some miles further on I checked the mirror and saw blue lights and flashing headlights way back so I pulled into a lay-by to let him pass, but no, he pulled in behind me. 
We both got out of our cars, him in his marked-up Traffic car, me in a high mileage Mazda 1300 automatic hire car loaded to the gunnels with a months worth of luggage.
His opening words were “You were going for it, it’s taken me 5 miles to catch you!” 

I looked at our respective vehicles and almost laughed… then he said “You overtook me back there in the 40, I got you at 44” and started writing the ticket. 

Ridiculous. I was ok to accept that I’d exceeded the limit by 4kph (2.5 mph) but the rest was fiction, as I think I may have noticed overtaking a fully Battenberg marked-up Patrol car.
So I though ‘what the hell…’ and flatly denied overtaking him, and as for the alleged ‘going for it’ that was pure fantasy.

OK, I  was p*ssed off by that time, but he shouldn’t have embroidered the story, so I then added that I had also been a Traffic Bobby in the UK and 
suggested that if it took him 5 miles to catch a knackered 1300 automatic hire car in his mega-litre patrol car then perhaps it was time for a refresher driving course.
I can’t say we parted as friends, and it cost me 60 NZ dollars… which tbh I have no problem with, it was just the fictional add-ons that upset me. 

Edited by Steve398
  • Like 1