Austrian Alps september 2020

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
daveinlim
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: French Alps september 2020

Post by daveinlim » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm

I'm just back from Chamonix. Lots of nice bikes out and about. None of them mine unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3270 times
Been liked: 1095 times

Post by Richzx6r » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:00 am

daveinlim wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm
I'm just back from Chamonix. Lots of nice bikes out and about. None of them mine unfortunately.
:scratch: you did say nice bikes didnt you?

I fair to see any
Its better when its loaded

daveinlim
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by daveinlim » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Richzx6r wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:00 am
daveinlim wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm
:scratch: you did say nice bikes didnt you?

I fair to see any
These 2 were shining in the sun and were a far cry from the dozens of hondas, KTM and Yamaha lined up.
They looked great but I'd never have one of these :D

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 1309 times

Post by Gerontious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Once again everything is looking a bit dicey. but 31 days to go.. so, lets see.

I have two distinct tours all ready to roll. depending on what the situation is 'on the day'.

South of France.

Germany, Austria and... very likely dropping down to the Dolomites. either.. out of choice, or necessity if the weather is a bit off further north.

I really fancy a return to Cortina d'Ampezzo. Theres a great campsite there with its own Pizzeria. and the view from the site is very special.

But... Theres a lot going on right now.. so still just watching and waiting as thats all i can do. its pretty much out of my hands.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 553 times

Post by raesewell » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:09 pm

I was hoping to get across the channel this year but it's looking less and less likely.

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:06 pm

21 days to go and I'm a nervous wreck. actually thats a lie. Im fine.. just continuing to watch and wait.

It looks very much like (as of today) that i will be able to switch back to my very original plan and head down to Austria. Germany has just announced mandatory testing for a list of high risk countries, but have decided that the UK is not included on that list. Testing is free however and my strategy will be that if I see a test site i will roll up and take advantage, its free!!

So.. 3 weeks today and I should be on my way down to Ashford for a final night in a proper bed for a while. then crossing on the saturday. wandering across to champagne using mostly normal roads.. avoiding the motorway unless or until time becomes short. An overnight stay at Eperney and then head for the south end of the Black Forest for a pause before heading across to Bavaria and the German Alpine road and on to Zell am See. Hopefully there by the Wednesday and will have either the Thursday or Friday on the Grossglockner.

And thats really as far ahead as Im ready to look right now. There are a lot of options for the slow return to Calais. and thats going to depend on the weather. I already have my rota for September and Im not due to return to work until 9pm 16th September.

Still fully prepared to switch back to the French Alps if the situation changes.

James in Brum
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZZR600D1
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 364 times

Post by James in Brum » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi, out of idle curiosity. Are there circumstances you would not go even if ‘allowed’
Time spent being groovy to each other is always well
Spent

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:10 pm

James in Brum wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:56 pm
Hi, out of idle curiosity. Are there circumstances you would not go even if ‘allowed’
No. all that would stop me is a disaster here at home. or with the bike. my health. something that makes the idea of going away, regardless of where, untenable. or impossible.

Gerontious

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 am

Swings and roundabouts and more swings.

Fun and Games, this year has so far been epic and now yet another big change.

Even if i wanted to go to France, that is now impossible due to it being taken off the exemption list. go there, stay there, and unless you are prepared to tell outright lies. 14 days at home. do not pass go. do not go to aldi. do not do anything.. or its a potential fine.

You cannot 'go' to France. (or Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands) but you can pass through them. And you can stop en route for a rest. refuel. But, you must not mix with other people. So says the Government. They're not interested in where you have been, they are interested in where you have stayed. (or mingled)

This creates a little problem.. direct across France to the Rhine is 400+ miles, and I just cant be bothered with that on my first day. I cant have an overnight in France, unless I were to wild-camp, and I cant be bothered with that either. Im too fond of my morning shower. plus its too much of a slog.. it would have to be all motorways and no, thats out of the question.

So.. my Plan now is to start by riding the 255 miles to our usual hotel in Neuerburg, in the Eifel. I can do that with just one fuel stop, there is an unmanned pay at the pump station we use frequently at the 190 mile mark. And there are plenty of rest areas on the way that don't have buildings or lots of people milling about. I'll take a packed lunch, which I can pick up from the local supermarket in Ashford and some water so I can make a coffee.

Route to Germany.png

A little more expensive to stay at the hotel.. but not much more, and i can have a cooked evening meal there. I will probably stay there for 2 or 3 nights and then its a 160 miles to the start of the B500 south through the Black Forest and so that will get me back on track. I'll lose a few days in Austria, but thats no big deal. After the Black Forest I'll head east and connect with the German Alpine road as far as the turn south to Zell am See.

There has been an uptick in infections in Germany, just like everywhere.. but its nothing like what has happened in France. I'm not particularly concerned. But.. its another 13 days of waiting and seeing.

So thats it.. the latest edition of this saga.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 340 times

Post by Marino » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:06 am

Gerontious wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 am
Swings and roundabouts and more swings.

Fun and Games, this year has so far been epic and now yet another big change.

Even if i wanted to go to France, that is now impossible due to it being taken off the exemption list. go there, stay there, and unless you are prepared to tell outright lies. 14 days at home. do not pass go. do not go to aldi. do not do anything.. or its a potential fine.

You cannot 'go' to France. (or Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands) but you can pass through them. And you can stop en route for a rest. refuel. But, you must not mix with other people. So says the Government. They're not interested in where you have been, they are interested in where you have stayed. (or mingled)

This creates a little problem.. direct across France to the Rhine is 400+ miles, and I just cant be bothered with that on my first day. I cant have an overnight in France, unless I were to wild-camp, and I cant be bothered with that either. Im too fond of my morning shower. plus its too much of a slog.. it would have to be all motorways and no, thats out of the question.

So.. my Plan now is to start by riding the 255 miles to our usual hotel in Neuerburg, in the Eifel. I can do that with just one fuel stop, there is an unmanned pay at the pump station we use frequently at the 190 mile mark. And there are plenty of rest areas on the way that don't have buildings or lots of people milling about. I'll take a packed lunch, which I can pick up from the local supermarket in Ashford and some water so I can make a coffee.

Route to Germany.png

A little more expensive to stay at the hotel.. but not much more, and i can have a cooked evening meal there. I will probably stay there for 2 or 3 nights and then its a 160 miles to the start of the B500 south through the Black Forest and so that will get me back on track. I'll lose a few days in Austria, but thats no big deal. After the Black Forest I'll head east and connect with the German Alpine road as far as the turn south to Zell am See.

There has been an uptick in infections in Germany, just like everywhere.. but its nothing like what has happened in France. I'm not particularly concerned. But.. its another 13 days of waiting and seeing.

So thats it.. the latest edition of this saga.
Double check Austria, I have some Austrian residents here on board that are going home soon, and it looks like they will need to have negative test to enter Austria. Not yet confirmed.

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Marino wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:06 am
Double check Austria, I have some Austrian residents here on board that are going home soon, and it looks like they will need to have negative test to enter Austria. Not yet confirmed.
Depends where they have been. This is on the front page of the (London) Austrian Embassy website.
As of Monday, 27 July 2020, Austrian citizens as well as persons with residence or regular residence in Austria, the United Kingdom or in one of the states listed in Appendix A1 are allowed to enter Austria without a Covd-19-test or having to undergo quarantine. These individuals have to demonstrate that they have been in no country other than Austria, the United Kingdom or the countries listed in Appendix A1 in the past 10 days.

For all other travellers, from the same date, changes will apply to the regulations for carrying a medical certificate on their state of health and home quarantine, in accordance with the amendment to the law on entry into Austria in connection with the containment of SARS-CoV-2.

Direct flights from the United Kingdom to Austria resumed on 1 August 2020. Please contact your flight carrier for further details.

Return to “Touring”