Austrian Alps september 2020

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 1702 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:54 am

Just before riding away from my home, I reset the ODO on the sat nav. so total distance is:
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 10.51.32.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

smallfrowne
Bike(s): NC30, CG125, DR650, CD250U, VFR750FL
Has liked: 284 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by smallfrowne » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:28 pm

What's the u turn count? I did quite a few.

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:41 pm

smallfrowne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:28 pm
What's the u turn count? I did quite a few.
3, that i can remember. I have U turns turned off... so when it demanded I do one, it means business. In two cases it was a dead end road, up a blind valley. And in the 3rd a wooden bridge that had... shall we say, a few bits missing!! I don't like wooden bridges at the best of times, but that one was a horror. it also had a sign that was unpronounceable but also unmistakable. I turned around and went around.

But, its fine on this bike the turning circle is tiny. Not something that will be happening next year in das eifel.

Not all that many umleitungs this year either,.. and those i did encounter just lead to better routes. Like the wonderful B50.

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 pm

A few things I noticed,

3 out of every 5 bikes was a GS, of varying types and ages, A lot of older 1150's as well. Until I entered Italy.. then a big change.
The Swiss really like the Ducati Multistrada.. almost every one I saw had Swiss plates.
The Italians are absolutely mad about Triumphs. I was really surprised by this. if you saw a Triumph 9/10 it would have Italian plates. And in Italy they easily outnumbered BMWs, If a group of bikes were parked up, anything that wasnt a Triumph was ignored. and they would be going over them extremely closely, pointing and jabbering about this and that. I saw more of the original Tiger than I think I have ever seen in my life, the original Hinckley Tiger - 900. Also they are mad about soft luggage, hardly any corned beef cans for them.
I only saw 2 other Ducatis the whole time with italian plates. and they were both monsters, ridden by women. (the monster is considered a bike for women only, in Italy - I was told, with much nodding.)

if you are in any way a petrol head.. go to the great Dolomite road. find a good spot and watch what goes past. absolutely jaw dropping.

In the heat.. people were geared up with one major exception. No gloves. this was really noticeable as they all wave, or point. or V sign. rather than nod. I really felt like the odd one out wearing my vented gloves.

From leaving the tunnel, i didnt see a single UK plate the whole time. so, people were talking to me a lot. much more than usual. of course being alone makes you more approachable, but even so.. there was a lot of comments that could be summed up by "where are the english?'

As for the response to Covid. they were all taking it far more seriously than here. to a remarkable degree. if you tried entering anywhere without a mask on they would send you out, and anyone else would just stop what they were doing and stare, or, staff come running out with one for you to wear, if they thought you might not have one handy. people were disinfecting their hands before entering and leaving any building. nearly everyone had their own bottle of instant alcohol disinfectant and it was on sale everywhere, very cheap. €2 for a bottle. Anything you touched was instantly wiped. if you weren't wearing a mask people would give you a wide berth, out doors. It was perfectly normal to take off your crash helmet and immediately put on a mask.

coming back here is like being in a different world.

smallfrowne
Bike(s): NC30, CG125, DR650, CD250U, VFR750FL
Has liked: 284 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by smallfrowne » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 pm
... "where are the english?'...
I'm sure quite a few have been plundering in Wales.
Looked a good laugh all that did. Apart from the maudlin bits of course.

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 pm

smallfrowne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 pm
Gerontious wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 pm
... "where are the english?'...
I'm sure quite a few have been plundering in Wales.
Looked a good laugh all that did. Apart from the maudlin bits of course.
I thought the maudlin bits were a great antidote to your incessant seat removal fetish and constant need to faff about,

Return to “Touring”