Touring Joly Old Europe!!

Guest rugby biker

Hi Guys and dolls,

I am going touring to Europe land this summer (not date set) and was wondering if anyone is interested in joining me?

No specific direct or locations set yet, possibly France Italy Germany Belgium and then home to Blighty! or just follow our nose.

I have a BMW R1200GS, but anyone (male female or couples) are more then welcome. I am married and work as a psychologist and I am currently study for a PhD in positive psychology. I play and coach rugby (both badly) I enjoy mountain biking, going to the gym and generally taking the mickey out of people or people taking the mickey our of me. I enjoy a good laugh.

This is not a con or money making trip, just pay for your own petrol and book your own ferry and accommodation but head in the same direction.

interested please leave a message

:cheers:

I plan on doing the same with a mate, sounds like it would be good if we joined a mini convoy ;) may also have the mrs with me as pillion, unless she passes her test before then.

As the details fill in will see if it falls into place with times etc :)

If I was single I would join you. Done it in a car on my own in 2004. Fuel was just over £1k went france, belgium, germany, poland, czech ,austria, italy, san marino, italy, france, monte carlo, france, luxembourg, switzerland, belgium, france home. 5 weeks.

Yeah same here, i will be doing one in a 600, want to do italy though, i think you can do switzerland if it doesnt snow?

but just seeing if people want to go around that way :_

Switzerland is no different to any other Alpine Region mate. The downside is the Police do not like motorists full stop. 80kph (50mph) limit on normal roads and very expensive on the spot fines. I know a German who got clocked at 120 kph (75mph) just trying to get back with his group and he got 600 euro on the spot, instant ban and the promise of a further 600 euro fine in the post which if it wasn't paid, the advice was not to return.

I've seen them do multi stops on bikes and a defective tyre attracted 500 euro on the spot. They don't discriminate against bikers and everyone is fair game. A Ferrari driver is still appealing his 16000 euro fine. They appear to means test when applying fines.

Full years Vignette required for their motorways.

Fantastic roads and spectacular high passes but be aware of the consequences of getting carried away. Don't worry if you haven't got the cash on you. They very kindly give you a lift to a Cash Point.

Yeah same here, i will be doing one in a 600, want to do italy though, i think you can do switzerland if it doesnt snow?

but just seeing if people want to go around that way :_

Switzerland is no different to any other Alpine Region mate. The downside is the Police do not like motorists full stop. 80kph (50mph) limit on normal roads and very expensive on the spot fines. I know a German who got clocked at 120 kph (75mph) just trying to get back with his group and he got 600 euro on the spot, instant ban and the promise of a further 600 euro fine in the post which if it wasn't paid, the advice was not to return.

I've seen them do multi stops on bikes and a defective tyre attracted 500 euro on the spot. They don't discriminate against bikers and everyone is fair game. A Ferrari driver is still appealing his 16000 euro fine. They appear to means test when applying fines.

Full years Vignette required for their motorways.

Fantastic roads and spectacular high passes but be aware of the consequences of getting carried away. Don't worry if you haven't got the cash on you. They very kindly give you a lift to a Cash Point.

Ah ak thanks for heads up, just trying to think of different places than same old france and belgium

Maybe France -> Italy -> Austria -> Germany -> France then home :P

I never came across a motorway in Switzerland, do they even have any? I think I had one for Switzerland as I was leaving :lol: but it was CBF money so didn't have a clue how much I was paying. Did ask the bloke for a shorter one and he said they don't do them. Had one for Austria too but that was a 10 day one after I had entered the country the woman said I was lucky not to have been stopped. In Austria they have overhead cameras to make sure it is valid, but I went through loads and never got stopped.

You won't want to go fast through Switzerland anyway, it's such a beautiful country.

edit: having just looked on google maps they only have dual carriageways.

I never came across a motorway in Switzerland, do they even have any? I think I had one for Switzerland as I was leaving :lol: but it was CBF money so didn't have a clue how much I was paying. Did ask the bloke for a shorter one and he said they don't do them. Had one for Austria too but that was a 10 day one after I had entered the country the woman said I was lucky not to have been stopped. In Austria they have overhead cameras to make sure it is valid, but I went through loads and never got stopped.

You won't want to go fast through Switzerland anyway, it's such a beautiful country.

edit: having just looked on google maps they only have dual carriageways.

A lot of motorways in Europe are only 2 lanes. Switzerland has motorways and a years Vignette is around 40 quid from memory.

The Austrian scanners rely on registration numbers and send the fine to the owner. I don't think they bother with foreigners yet. It is rare but they do checks at the bottom of "Off" slip roads. If you see a sign warning of queues on a slip road it is often because of the checks. It isn't worth taking a chance for the sake of €4,80 for 10 days.

If you get out our way look us up. :D

i,m hoping to do some euro touring, dates are pretty much set, cos i will be in germany for my birthday,

the plan was originally to ride some highly recommended roads in germany, france etc,,,,,,,but,

now i see the easy distance,,,,,,,,,,,,,i,m going to make an effort to ride Silvretta Hochalpstrasse, Nauders pass, Fluela pass, the Via Alpsu,Furkapass,Grimsel pass, Jaun pass, and routes thro Eifel and Blackforest,

this will take me ( intentionally) through 9 countries in 8 days, but only a total of about 1750 miles from Calais and back,

i've already had to provisionally book accomodation cos of the high demand in the Alps, but happy to meet up anyone en route or woteva,

my provisional dates are from tunnel fri 21st june, returning Sunday 30th, meaning i miss the tomfoolery in derbyshire, but cant be helped, i dont want to ride long distances, just enjoy the roads, any input welcome 8-)

• 2 months later...
i,m hoping to do some euro touring, dates are pretty much set, cos i will be in germany for my birthday,

the plan was originally to ride some highly recommended roads in germany, france etc,,,,,,,but,

now i see the easy distance,,,,,,,,,,,,,i,m going to make an effort to ride Silvretta Hochalpstrasse, Nauders pass, Fluela pass, the Via Alpsu,Furkapass,Grimsel pass, Jaun pass, and routes thro Eifel and Blackforest,

this will take me ( intentionally) through 9 countries in 8 days, but only a total of about 1750 miles from Calais and back,

i've already had to provisionally book accomodation cos of the high demand in the Alps, but happy to meet up anyone en route or woteva,

my provisional dates are from tunnel fri 21st june, returning Sunday 30th, meaning i miss the tomfoolery in derbyshire, but cant be helped, i dont want to ride long distances, just enjoy the roads, any input welcome 8-)

Bet we bump into you somewhere on route pal, were doing more or less the same route (well, heading a bit further east), on the same dates, except were doing overnight Hull-Roterdam-Hull ferry's :)

• 3 years later...
Im interested in doing europe this year, was considering the Alps but up for anything really as long as its warm!

You do know that the Alps are really quite high don't you? So there are often snow on the tops even during summer.

Im interested in doing europe this year, was considering the Alps but up for anything really as long as its warm!

You do know that the Alps are really quite high don't you? So there are often snow on the tops even during summer.

You do realise this thread is really old don't you?