I wanna go touring!

Benn

Is there any way I could tour Europe without murdering my bike? It would be slow, but would it be possible? Or do I have no choice but to wait till I'm 19, or even 21? Would being slow cause big problems?

I hate being stuck on a 125. It's so restrictive. The government's so cruel. :evil:

No point touring if you go 80mph you wont see anything,

Guy on youtube went from asia back to the uk on a little scooter...

I would do it, adds to the experience but just remember to actually take some bits for the bike as its being more ragged than normal

Very good point. I think I'll go for it this summer as my bike is fairly young (10,000 miles) and has been superb up until now - unless someone chimes in with a very good reason not too. Obviously I'll do a lot more research and planning before setting off ;)

What sort of parts would you recommend taking? Spare chain and sprockets and such?

Thanks for the reply :D

Matty - Good idea :) I could spend a week getting as many c100 tags as possible. But it's always been a dream of mine to see Switzerland and I'd love to go back to Germany and I've heard Southern France is beautiful, so I hope to do Europe one day - maybe it would be a good idea to do the UK this year and Europe next year when I have more experience.

And Stu, I am happy to do my test if I have a good reason to do it. It's not worth the money just to loose my L plates but if it means I could tour Europe, it would be worth it :)

Yorbandit - I'm working on learning some mechanics! I try to do anything on my bike myself. :)

Then get on your 125cc and start touring! I did, round Scotland. I have read and now agree that the ideal touring speed is about 50mph, you make progress, see things and don't stress. That is totally doable on a 125cc (except up steep hills :D )

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2526/5733643420_e9bc66cb39_z.jpg

I would not really recommend touring great distances on a 125. I had a YBR myself while I was waiting to pass my tests. I found it quite uncomfortable after a while and lacked power when I needed it most.

But if you feel confident and comfortable then go for it.

So far, most I've done in a single day on my 125 has been 250 miles - albeit at a slower pace than I'd like :P

Would've gladly got straight back on and done it again the next day, too. Guess it depends on how much ground you'd want to cover each day - I don't think I would've wanted to do much more, the vibration was starting to rattle my spine to bits :lol:

Well, I've done around 300 miles on it at once a few times, but not days and days in a row - just don't wanna take it too far from home and get stuck. :lol:

I find my bike comfy, I just stand up on the pegs when it's quiet every now and then to stop my bum going completely numb :mrgreen:

cant see any reason not to tour on a 125 if your confident yourself and the bike are both up to it.

touring at lower speeds is much more enjoyable , you get to enjoy it properly and take in the scenery.

I would second the advice to start touring the uk first, get an idea what the bike can withstand, and make sure you have decent breakdown cover and a small toolkit...most of all just enjoy it

out of curiosity can you actually ride a bike abroad with only a provisional license?

No

hence why I put you have to pass your test :)

most places you have to be 21 too and held a licence for two years

• 3 years later...

You will need a full license but you don't need to wait 2 years as we did it a few years ago the Mrs passed her test and 6 months later we drive to the south of France as we are part of the euro at the mo when we come out who knows

most places you have to be 21 too and held a licence for two years

Please elaborate.. as far as I know the only age restriction is 18 in germany, regardless of license type or vehicle... I'd be interested to know of what others there are.. and particularly which countries have this 2 year rule. Thats come as quite a shock i must admit.

pretty important for me to know these things.

ta.

Edited by Anonymous

I'm sure most eu country's are 18 min and a full license and insurance that will cover you for drinving in said country

I wouldnt take anyone with me who was under 18.. so thats not important. what is important is this 2 year rule. thats completely new and quite horrifying. when trotter came away with us.. he definitely hadn't had his license for 2 years.. and we went through 5 countries.

This is still a grey area!

If you pass your bike test aged over 24 and on a big enough bike you have a FULL licence,

if you're under24 or you do test on a smaller, lighter bike

technically you have a RESTRICTED licence.

Therefore you can't ride abroad!

That's my take on it anyway!

I know people do and get away with it but I'd be worried about having to claim