France trip advice

Guest Kc9400

Hey all,

Right so I've planned a trip to France, 10days in total around, 2-2.5k miles.

How much bag space do people manage with? I've got a 30litre bag and looking at grabbing a 50litre tail back aswell. I imagine that'll be plenty of space but what do others think?

Also any general things to avoid?

I've checked out all the various stuff I should carry. Hi-vis, breathaliser, triangle, helmet has to have reflectives on it?

Filtering? I've read some saying it's illegal and others saying people do it all the time. Then the flag pops up that the police love to pick on travellers/foreign bikers?

Is this true? Anyway any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

EDIT:

The list so far

Stuff to carry:

Spare Fuses

Spare Bulbs

Waterproofs

Tyre puncture kit

One of the foil warmth blankets

Cheap disposable hand warmers

Helmet visor cleaning kit

A good security lock

A Torch

Spare spark plug

Taser (Good suggestion Glorian :P)

Take Documentation: Licence, vehicle reg, insurance docs

Baby wipes. (Thanks TC1474)

Things to get/check:

Breakdown cover

Vehicle service

Tyre life check

Check Insurance covers you

Laws, Rules, etc:

hi-viz for breakdowns

Filtering (Illegal in France, do at your own risk)

Reflective patches on helmet (legal requirement) < After speaking to some French bikers, apparently no-one really bothers.

Speed camera positions on devices are a big NO NO in France.

GB Sticker on Licence plate

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

Edited by Anonymous

Ohh will be watching this thread with interest! All things I've meant to ask for a while..

Good luck with your trip and little things I've learnt:

Make sure you always have waterpoofs and a way to keep your clothes dry.. It's really horrible having to get into wet gear day after day.

Spend that extra couple of minutes getting your clothing comfy before you set off. A slight cold draft down your spine or hair on your forehead can drive you mad!

Phrase book unless you know the local language :mrgreen:

Under the bike seat:

Tyre puncture kit

A little waterproof wallet of local currency

Not sure if this is helpful at all but.. Yeah :D

Reckon a 30 and a 50 will do you , you don't need to carry a triangle with you on a bike and you don't need a breatherliser kit and filtering is illegal over there as far as I know.

Reckon a 30 and a 50 will do you , you don't need to carry a triangle with you on a bike and you don't need a breatherliser kit and filtering is illegal over there as far as I know.

Ah did they scrap the breathaliser thing?

I read that I need a hi-vis for if broken down else you face a 130euro fine! :(

Cheers for the response

Ohh will be watching this thread with interest! All things I've meant to ask for a while..

Under the bike seat:

Tyre puncture kit

A little waterproof wallet of local currency

Not sure if this is helpful at all but.. Yeah :D

Yeah I'll make sure I've got all those bits handy. I normally carry that anyway :)

Ha yeah, waterproof stuff is must! Hopefully won't need it but you never know.

Some European countries require you to carry spare bulbs (for cars at least, not 100% on bikes) but may be worth getting some just in case?

I also read somewhere that if you wear glasses you have to have a spare pair on you.

30 and 50 is way more than enough

The wife and I went to Europe for 10 days and I have two 42 litre side panniers and a 46 litre top box plus a tank bag with bits and bobs in

We took way more then enough!!

I was packed in to one side pannier with a bit of space left and a couple of small things in the top box for easy access the wife used the rest of the space and was busting at the seems!!

Hair driers, straighteners and two pair of shoes take a lot of room :roll: :roll:

pack light and wear the same trousers more than once!

a clean pair of kegs, socks and T-shirt each day!

we also had all our thermals and liners as the weather was a tad chilly at the time plus spare gloves in case we got caught in rain

They did try to get reflective patches fitted to helmets. Think that has gone now but worth checking. Hi vis required in cars in the case of breakdown, bikes?

They did try to get reflective patches fitted to helmets. Think that has gone now but worth checking. Hi vis required in cars in the case of breakdown, bikes?

No, it hasnt. but anecdotally its only being enforced in the major cities and at night. the neighbouring countries riders are pretty much up in arms about this rule because the stickers must be destructive. by which I mean.. trying to remove them must cause damage. so, it seems the gendarmes are turning a blind eye int the touristy areas and close to borders.. everywhere in fact. aside from the major cities.

Ive never bothered.. but then. I stay away from the cities and dont ride after dark. (and wear a white helmet)

There is only one rule worth mentioning.. and that is: Don't break the law. for the simple reason 'on the spot' fines can be a killer.

aside from that. STOP at every junction and think. its far too easy to forget and turn onto the wrong lane. so pause. before you know it riding on the right seems perfectly natural. but even so, its too easy to slip up and forget momentarily.

carry spare bulbs.. if only because a popped bulb and having to go on the hunt, can be a right pain. always address people in French. the moment you say "bonjour" they will instantly know you're a brit and treat you much better.. women find the British accent really sexy.

Do remember to fill your fuel tank on saturday.. finding an open manned fuel station on a sunday is next to impossible. the 24/7 unmanned fuel stops take cards.. credit cards only. and be aware that many only have E10.

its really handy to have fuel stops on your sat nav.

Eek! Didn't know about this one:

http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/get-yo ... ies-right/

Yeh that is one to remember , a couple of times people just pulled out from side roads on me over there, it's not every side road though , there are signs telling where they can do it.

aside from that. STOP at every junction and think. its far too easy to forget and turn onto the wrong lane. so pause. before you know it riding on the right seems perfectly natural. but even so, its too easy to slip up and forget momentarily.

this is a good tip!

even in the UK when you come back!!!!

I went out on the bike with the missus for my first ride after coming back from Europe

got to our destination had chippy

got on the bike and proceeded to ride on the wrong side of the road for about 100 yards :shock: :lol: :lol:

The stickers on helmet is for the whole of France not just major cities.

I know not every puts them on , but I suppose it's how your luck is and what mood the coppers are in, like over here with smaller reg plates etc.

got on the bike and proceeded to ride on the wrong side of the road for about 100 yards :shock: :lol: :lol:

I have not ridden in Europe but did similar after Europe trip in car.

The other tip some one gave me for there car was if there is a roundabout, wait until there is some one to follow to make sure you go the right way.

If in doubt or you get confused in traffic follow the car in front till you can stop and think things through...

I've done a few trips through France on the bike and loved them all. Lots of sound advice above, to which I have nothing to add really. I've never bothered with breathalysers or triangles, but my spare waterproofs (for pulling on in torrential downpours) are hi-viz, satisfying any requirements for breakdowns.

As far as I am aware filtering is illegal in France, but everyone does it - especially if you hit the peripherique in rush hour! The police bikers filter too, and didn't care less when a load of us followed them through the traffic as it parted in front of them.

Have fun, and watch out for those nutty Parisian scooter riders!

:thumb:

Thanks for all the responses from everyone!

I'm not heading out until May but figured the more I know and the more time I spend sorting everything then I'm less likely to run into any issues :)

Hi, Just be sure to have all you Doc's with you. Driving Licence, insurance and vehicle registration doc's. Be sure to have the bike serviced and that the tyres have enough life on them to do the complete trip. A good security lock and breakdown cover might also be handy.

And if you are using a sat nav, make sure that any French speed camera positions are deleted. Garmin updates and Tom Tom change the speed camera positions to show caution areas.

Speed camera positions are a big NO NO in France.

• 2 weeks later...

If your thinking of knocking up serious mileage you might want to consider one of these.

">

Take it from me, you don't want to dehydrate and at all cost avoid a kidney stone.

Defiantly a must have for high mileage riding, not matter what the weather you'll be surprised just how much you sweat even in winter.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You soon get the hang of riding on the "wrong side of the road". IME the real danger is when first setting off after a stop such as coffee or fuel. Just take a few seconds to orientate yourself and away you go.

Somewhere on here I did post a list of Touring Tips. New to that list would be the requirement in France to carry a reflective vest in the event of breakdown.

You should also be aware that Card Payments in rural or mountain regions are often not accepted so have some cash on you.

• 1 month later...

The trip went without a hitch!

Over 2000 miles covered and no issues.

Riding in France was certainly an experience. Drivers were very good towards me on the bike and only had one silly bugger pull out on me.

Filtering.... all I can say is pretty much every driver moved over or gave some space for me to get through.

One great part was heading down some of the motorways and a lane would be closed and drivers would even move into the hard shoulder to let you go past them.

I've got to say it was nice not having to be aware of potholes every 2ft aswell, makes riding much nicer.

I'd definitely do the trip again, even on the GSXR :D