Europe trip!

Stu

we did say about going to France but nothing is set in stone yet!

we will probably go across with no plan and follow the sun and just walk in to hotels for a room for the night

we will probably go across with no plan and follow the sun and just walk in to hotels for a room for the night

Now that sounds like a brilliant strategy!

Extremely jealous!

How about travelling up through Holland and into north Germany. Some great roads and all along the river elb can be nice to visit. Even Hamburg is nice for a big city.

What he means is Keith will walk into hotels to ask about rooms!

We better get good weather!

• 2 weeks later...

To get the best rates you need to speak to the manager not the dolly on the desk. Threaten to walk out if they don't look like budging.

I got refused a night in a hotel because I only wanted one night. He said no rooms, then said if 3 nights yes. Strange way to run a business. Ended up sleeping in car.

I've been in august ended up in the mountains without taking winter gear, froze at night in tent using a stove in tent giving myself carbon monoxide poisoning :oops:

It was like a homer moment... I'm getting dizzy here let's turn it off. Okay I'm cold now turn it back on... Oh I'm dizzy again.

To get the best rates you need to speak to the manager not the dolly on the desk. Threaten to walk out if they don't look like budging.

I got refused a night in a hotel because I only wanted one night. He said no rooms, then said if 3 nights yes. Strange way to run a business.

I am the manager and the dolly at the desk at our place along with handyman and general dogsbody :?

Our rate is fair, some would say very cheap for our area, and we don't negotiate. Take it or leave it or save yourself the walk in the first place. One night stays are hard work for little reward so you are unlikely to get a discount. Many seasonal places don't take them as they have a minimum stay policy and many add a supplement that looks like you are getting a discount for a longer stay. In our case the rate is per person regardless of single or double occupancy and we welcome 1 nights stays without adding any supplement. Bikers do get a free beer on arrival :)

Use the Booking.com App but go to the accommodation direct as they are usually more than happy to lose the Booking.com commission. It is a cut throat business and many places have set their rates at a bare minimum in the first place to be competitive so don't set your expectations too high.

I am the manager and the dolly at the desk .

My experience was of an Italian manager shouting in Italian (got the gist of it) at the desk staff for almost letting me walk out of the door without seeing him first.

• 2 months later...