Germany - Black Forest Advice

Son of Arthritis

Hi All,

Off to Germany next week to the Black Forest where my friends and I will be having a tour round the B500. Can anyone suggest any decent other bike roads with view points, cafe's etc?

I was hoping to do the B500 to Baden Baden then take in the L76b / L351 to Rottenburg then back through Freudenstadt.

Anyone done these roads?

Thanks, Kenny

Send me a message and include your email.

I have a PDF that you might be interested in, you will need a PC or Mac to view it... its a bit too big for a phone.

In theory there is no such thing as a bad road in the BF.. or across the Rhine in the Vosges. But.. with limited time its best to sample the very best and for that I can heartily recommend this route map. It recommends roads based on surface quality, bends, views and interesting stop-offs. Theres a lot more to the BF than the B500 8-)

I would also recommend that you have a Plan "B" in case of bad weather. especially rain. because the forest is so high it can get quite cold. So feel free to head west, cross the Rhine and explore the Vosges mountains on the other side. These are the 'mirror' image of the BF mountains.. but a little less forested. and still very high. The highest road is just 3 feet lower than the summit of Ben Nevis.. but its not obvious. some great views of the swiss alps from there.

Edited by Anonymous

can you not post it up Shorty?

I would be interested in taking a look

pdf files can be added the same as photos :wink:

No.. i get this cute little warning box which takes great pleasure in informing me:

ERROR

File too large: BF & Vosges ADAC Route.pdf

food here is spot on.. run by a biker.

this has given me a thought! maybe we should have a thread for itinerary/GPX files!

Theres too much.. if you're thinking of the BF on its own and the B500 in particular. you're talking about a road that would stretch from Birmingham to London. and thats just one road. there are a gazillion others. the area is huge. almost 4,000 square miles.

and then on the other side of the Rhine.. its mirror. The Vosges.

There is no way you could do it all.. My usual tip is to find a suitable base and explore from there. north, middle or south. spend one day riding the entire length of the B500.. both sections with a different 'link' for the missing middle bit.

I would suggest that Rennie has the right idea.. head for Titisee and make that your base. the southern end of the forest is I reckon the nicest and most varied. I suggest that because it gives you a chance to cross the Rhine and visit Riquewihr and anyone in that part of the world shouldn't pass that up. its amazing. One of the best preserved medieval villages in france.. walk through the south entrance and you step back in time 600 years.

you're also close to the Swiss border.. and from any high road the views of the Alps are stunning.

view-to-the-swiss-alps-from-schauinsland.jpg.fb1cfbcb4c2c495141fb072c7d193c6b.jpg

Germany is so well-ordered a place that no sooner has the Biker thought "Mmm, I could do with a drink and possibly a slice of cake," than he turns a corner and finds himself confronted by a rustic inn presided over by a convivial man in an apron who has pledged his life to that exact purpose.

:mrgreen:

yup I know :lol:

I found that on both occasions I was there :thumb:

as I said just thinking out loud

anyway this isnt helping the OP :lol:

I think a recommended places to visit thread with GPX files would be good. Not "ALL" but stuff like LIDL's / Aldi's maybe and then recommended restaurants / cafe's from members :thumb:

Anyway, Black forest!! Go for it, Anywhere is good!!! Watch out for little VRF 400's though, Them little gits stop fast! My ZX9 does not stop fast.... :mrgreen: :thumb:

i DID THE B500 LAST YEAR IN AUGUST, FANTASTIC

MAKE SURE YOU STOP OFF AT THE LAKE MUMELSEE, ITS LOVELY!

WHEN YOU GOPING? IM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO JOIN, I FANCY GOING AGAIN THIS JUNE OR JULY?

• 5 months later...
clever you!! I had forgotten about that and this map has been on dropbox since 2014

I really should upload the others too. at some point.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85xlw40ja6mbsuy/Black%20Forest%20%26%20Alsace.pdf?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one, unfortunately, is offline once again. Any chance of putting it back up? And what others are you talking about?

Just being curious :wink: