Pyrenees and Alps - 9 days, 4350 miles, 1 bike, 1 (female) rider

Roxyy

Some fabulous places visited there (I've done most but not all of them) and great to see you undertake such a daunting challenge on your own but to me that sounds like a trip from hell. Please don't take any offence at that comment and any opinion I give is just based on my own preferences. To go to so many places and travel so many miles in 9 days goes totally against my idea of of an adventure. Last year I went touring in France, Spain and Germany. I covered more than 4k miles too but I did it in 4 weeks. As a result I believe I enjoyed every place I went to much more than if I had just wizzed through them. It's all very well saying 'I was here.....I was there....and I was in that other place too' but if you don't have time to enjoy them and see them in all their glory then to me there's little point in going. If I was doing a 9 day trip I'd be limiting the mileage to 2k and no more.

Next year I'm taking a 6 week trip and I plan to do a darned good European tour. I'm anticipating that I'll do around 6k miles. If I like somewhere I'll stay for a day or two or more. I'll only bypass the rubbish places on my way to my preferred destination. I know I'm fortunate to be able to take that amount of time and not everyone can but quality is always better than quantity when it comes to travel.

Anyway, well done, you certainly took on a big challenge by the scruff of the neck and not many could do that. I'm not forcing my advice on you but next time.........try slowing down a bit, you WILL enjoy it much more.

• 1 month later...