Puncture repair in Europe (NOT Tubeless!)

Thruxty

At the end of September I'm taking my new Triumph Thruxton R on a mini tour of Spain with a couple of friends - Bilbao, Pamplona, Jaca, Lourdes, Androrra, Zaragoza etc

The Thruxton looks great - but is not so great if you get a puncture as it is not tubeless - as I recently found it. It was repaired quickly and cheaply by Steve at Superbike tyres who turned up in his van - highly recommended BTW (https://www.yell.com/biz/superbike-tyres-carshalton-901100005/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I did ask him whether it was worth learning to repair the type myself ready for Spain and he said that, without a paddocak stand, it's almost impossible - and even with a stand, with basic tools it's still bloody difficult.

Obviously I will make sure I have the usual European breakdown cover etc - but in the event of a puncture I want to avoid having to be transported to a workshop somewhere. Ideally I'd have the phone numbers of a couple of Steve equivalents in Spain who are motorcycle-specific and can turn up and repair the puncture on the spot (I'll be taking inner tubes in case they don't have the right ones)

Do such people exist in Spain - and is anyone aware of any in the areas we're going?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Liam

It's still worth having something like a Stop 'n Go kit, just to be on the safe side.

Edit: scratch that, misread the post. :seeya:

Edited by Mr Fro

Mountain bikes use "tyre slime". Green stuff that plugs the puncture before you know you have it. Don't see why that wouldn't work for motorbike tyres?

Mountain bikes use "tyre slime". Green stuff that plugs the puncture before you know you have it. Don't see why that wouldn't work for motorbike tyres?

It will work, but because it doesn't set until contact with air, the slime sits at the bottom of your tyre and causes you a massive vibration.

Push bikes and wheel barrows don't go quick enough to notice

the slime sits at the bottom of your tyre and causes you a massive vibration.

That makes perfect sense.. except, I have to ask.. how does the slime manage to sit at the bottom of the tyre when the wheel is revolving at whatever 100s X RPMs.

sounds almost magical.

To be fair I have heard of some people experiencing slightly elevated Vibes from a standing start.. I mean by that, that the bike has stood overnight.. but it rapidly disappears. but aside from that.. massive vibration? Thats a new one. Is this based on personal experience? I know that a lot of people choose these additives. they're not exactly a new idea.

That makes perfect sense.. except, I have to ask.. how does the slime manage to sit at the bottom of the tyre when the wheel is revolving at whatever 100s X RPMs.

We get it a lot in the caterhams, their wheels are shite, but centrifugal force. If you fill a bucket with water, tie a rope to the handle, and spin it around the water stays in.

The slime does eventually level out but until then its awful, and then its all the same again next time you go out