125 touring

Simon m

Has any one done it or does it what did you take and do you have any tips you could share please

I'm thinking on Oxford to lands end over 3 days

I'm thinking day one

Oxford to Plymouth Google says its 5:40 hours and so about 221 miles going with 4 challenge 100 spots

Day 2

Plymouth to lands end in the morning

Google says 1:50 and 66miles with 1 challenge 100

Day 2 late morning / afternoon

Lands end to Tiverton

3:15 and 125 miles 1 challange 100

Day 3

Tiverton to Oxford

3:42 and about 155 miles

Which seams OK as no motorways all a and B roads

Do you think google times are about right also how often should I be stopping for a air cooled 125 other than to fill up

eg stop every hour for a bit

google times are a rough guide and based on legal speeds with no stopping. so.. if the roads are mainly 60mph, then the times are based around a constant 60. This means the reality is usually a bit longer because of stopping times and little delays here and there.

for a ride like that on a 125 i would just take each day as it comes.. have a break as and when. there shouldnt be any need for stops to allow the bike to cool down.. so long as its been serviced and so on. modern japanese 125s arent fragile.

Many years ago a group of bikers rode CG125s from Gibralter to Nordkapp. no support car or anything, they spread spares and all kit between them. as I recall they had no problems they couldn't deal with.

My suggestion is to be sure you have roadside rescue.. and just go.

Day 2 and 3 are ok but it's the 6 hour ride in day 1 should only take just over a tank but there's a few challange 100 stops to brake it up a bit and have a stretch as I don't think going 3 hours straight then a hours stop then 3 hours again would do the bike much good in a car would not bother me but that's water cooled

And never leave home without my aa card

I don't think going 3 hours straight then a hours stop then 3 hours again would do the bike much good.

and you are basing this on what? If someone told you this then they are wrong.. if its something you assume... being new to bikes. then its wrong thinking.

running an air cooled bike for hours on end is not problematic at all... so long as its moving. Its running the engine for a long time (hours) while at a standstill that can be harmful.

3 hours though.. I reckon you would probably want a break long before that so it hardly matters anyway. When I tour I generally stop.. even if its just for a few minutes every hour or so. get off stretch my legs.. or do this at a fuel stop. grab a drink.. visit the loo - whatever.

Thanks dude

it was more me thinking that as other than my ar50 air cool but a top speed of 33 so never went to far on it I've always had water cooled (cars) and was thinking stopping every hour or so as you said to give me a rest as much as the bike it will have a full service before I leave

Bikes can run ages even on air cooling as long as moving. Frankly I like a break every hour otherwise I feel even worse soreness wise than you already end up feeling.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Perfectly doable but take regular breaks. Every hour to hour and a half stop and have a drink or if you smoke have a ciqqie. Times may take a bit longer as you won't be using a motorway, plus you will be slowed due to traffic etc.

So your average speed will suffer compared to just motorway travelling.

Breaks don't have to be long , the only time I take a long break is when I stop to eat something.

When packing your bike make sure the things you need are placed so that they are readily available.

Tools wise carry tools necessary to adjust your chain. As to others things such as duct tape cable ties etc to bodge a repair to get you somewhere safe or to garage. If something serious happens to the bike you are unlikely to repair it at the roadside , so make sure you have recovery cover on your breakdown insurance.