Paris to Innsbruck route suggestions please

Guest n0madic

Hi all

First time here so wanted to say hi. I have a 2011 XJ6 and am making my way from London to Innsbruck.

I am currently in Paris. I will be leaving here tomorrow morning and intend to be in Innsbruck the following evening. So I will have a good two days worth of riding and wanted to make the most of the time on the road. So it would really helpful and awesome if anyone had any ideas and suggestions on some scenic routes. Also where on the way would be a cheap place to spend the night?

Cheers

Ps, as a thank you I will write a little update on here on the route I took and what I found along the way :)

You could ask on a French or German forum?

That's for the French one: http://forum-motard.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a very nice and welcoming forum. In case you don't speak French, just don't forget to mention you're sorry for speaking in English :wink:

The Parc naturel des Vosges du Nord close to the frontier is beautiful and has nice roads, but it's not the most direct way :/

Once you're out of Paris, going through Nangis and Provins is a good option. But I don't much the roads to Alsace. You could get better answers :)

Depends really on if you want to enter Switzerland or not. I would suggest 'not' and head almost directly east for the Southern Vosges.. over them, then carry on east and cross the Rhine into the southern Black Forest.. from there head east and south towards the German Algau region.. perhaps towards Fussen. and from there south into Austria.. and east towards Innsbruck. Be aware that you need a Vignette for Austrian Motorways.. but its easy enough and rather nicer to avoid them.

the Only bottle neck on this route that I would suggest you avoid is the northern shore of Lake Constance... the main road that follows the lake shore can be very slow... I would stay away.

So, something Like this: https://goo.gl/maps/5JYzNNRE2XL2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google says its 600 miles.. so 2 x 300 mile days should be easy.. the first part legging across France uses the Autoroute.. and then it slows down a tad. an early start should mean you looking for a "Zimmer Frei" sign in the southern Black forest. I would expect to pay around 40 euros.. maybe less for B&B now the holiday season is effectively over.

The route shown is a very rough guide. I did it in 3 minutes. It could easily be tweaked to take in a few nice sights.. for instance, it passes very near the Ballon.. the highest point in the Southern Vosges. with stunning views all the way to the Alps. It also avoids Switzerland.. and the high prices. or need to change money for swiss francs. or get ripped off big time if you use euros.