Road by road route planning

V1ncevrs

Looks like a fun route.

I've got as far as updating my maps. Next step is to try planning a route.

Go for it mate. I have to admit Basecamp isn't the most user friendly software out there but once I learnt the basics I managed to create a route in relatively little time. Good luck :D

Still don't know what to think about Basecamp. I used it to put a route to the Unicorn yesterday. Luckily I kind of knew where to go anywhere as I it sent me off the A1 and had me turning a right pretty much through someone's front door - no road to be seen at all. So today I looked more carefully at the route in Basecamp and there it was: a little loop through some village in the Soke of Peterborough, and then nip back on to the A1 in time to head off through the middle of Peterborough itself: all for no reason. :cry: For some reason Basecamp had scattered a few via points at odd places just off the route I wanted to take and adjusted the route to make sure I visited them all.

I'm not going to give up on just yet. I've learned I need to look more carefully at the route and edit it where it's not right. I've also learned that you can type "M" and then use the cursor to move a point, and then type "H" and the cursor goes back to the hand that you can use to move the map around. A lot easier than going to the menu each time.

Still don't know what to think about Basecamp. I used it to put a route to the Unicorn yesterday. Luckily I kind of knew where to go anywhere as I it sent me off the A1 and had me turning a right pretty much through someone's front door - no road to be seen at all. So today I looked more carefully at the route in Basecamp and there it was: a little loop through some village in the Soke of Peterborough, and then nip back on to the A1 in time to head off through the middle of Peterborough itself: all for no reason. :cry: For some reason Basecamp had scattered a few via points at odd places just off the route I wanted to take and adjusted the route to make sure I visited them all.

I'm not going to give up on just yet. I've learned I need to look more carefully at the route and edit it where it's not right. I've also learned that you can type "M" and then use the cursor to move a point, and then type "H" and the cursor goes back to the hand that you can use to move the map around. A lot easier than going to the menu each time.

you're doing something wrong. the only reason for a route to go 'off route' is due to a conflict.. ie, the unit has been told to behave in one manner and then the route you have uploaded wants to do something the unit says NO to.

The most obvious example is you have told the unit to avoid Motorways.. and then create a route that includes the A1(M)

I cannot see how it would add Via points itself.. or indeed try to take you through a house. Did the unit see a road where this house was?

and that second paragraph.. I have no idea what you are even talking about. 'cursor'? 'H' and 'M' - these mean nothing to me. are you talking about the units internal software... or Basecamp, which is a PC or MAC application.

and that second paragraph.. I have no idea what you are even talking about. 'cursor'? 'H' and 'M' - these mean nothing to me. are you talking about the units internal software... or Basecamp, which is a PC or MAC application.

Basecamp for PC.

Don't know how the via points got in there, but I could have added them without realising it. Waving my mouse around randomly, I guess. I feel a bit dumb when it comes to computers :wink: