Europe Tour Luggage

McLovin

Hi guys,

I'm a new relatively new rider and forum member. I am planning a Europe trip early next year and I am wondering what advice people have on luggage security. I am planning on using Kriega tailbags for clothes, tools etc and a backpack for valuables.

My question is what do you all do when at service stations for filling up and having rest breaks etc... do you leave tailbags on the bike, taking valuables only and hope for the best or do you take all luggage with you?

Hi and welcome to the forum

Pop over to newbies and say hello

I have hard lockable luggage so its not too much of a worry but I always remove my tank bag which has all my valuables in I also remove my sat nav and take my helmet with me also

Generally whenever we have stopped we have always parked the bikes in such a way that we can see them and they are never out of sight

Thanks Stu,

I will definitely try and keep the bike in view at all times. Have yet to decide how much to take for a 10 day 2000 mile trip. Any thoughts on how much luggage litres? I was hoping to take a backpack for valuables and electronics, a tank bag for convenience at tolls etc and perhaps a Kriega 70l system for everything else (I know I don't need 70l but figured I could just part fill the bags and have them for future longer tours).

I wouldn't take a back pack!

after a few hours on the bike it could cause you problems! its just extra weight on your back that you don't need!

The wife and I went for a ten day trip and 2500 miles with a top box side panniers and a tank bag! the side cases are about 40 litres top box is 42 and it was only a small tank bag! but bear in mind that's two peoples clothes a hair dryer and straighteners :roll: :roll:

Bike.jpg

You're a bit limited where hard luggage is concerned on this particular bike.

Givi offer a top box only.

Hepco offer a pannier rack. Circa £180 plus panniers. Might be worth considering if touring is going to be a part of your life...and the bike is one you intend holding on to.

they are the same

SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sidecarrier (Suzuki GSX600F Katana, '03-'07 & GSX750F Katana, '03-'07) Evo Style for Givi, Micatech, TraX ALU-BOX, & Krauser side

They may be. I don't own a Suzuki and so I can only be guided by the website and neither the German or UK site state that the racks for the 750 will fit the 600. neither site includes any hard luggage fixings for the 600. The fitting instructions PDF sheet only mentions the 750 too.

I wouldn't be in a rush to order parts delivered from Germany where the vendor makes no mention whatsoever of the bike I'm buying the parts for.

For a definitive answer ask. The part number for the 750 racks is KFT.05.288.20000/B4052572008584.k

SW Motech are very quick answering. [email protected]

yes.. there doesn't seem to be the same problem with top cases.. are Shad any better than Givi?

I would imagine finding a 2nd hand top case rack by Givi would be easier.

They dont do panniers for this bike.

so.. its either hepco and becker (who definitely do)

or SW-Motech.. who 'might' do.

is a top case a better idea.. capacity wise than a kriega? I know Givi do really large ones.. but are these appropriate for a bike like the 600F

I would suggest panniers of some type... coupled with (if necessary) a dry bag strapped across the top. so no room for a pillion... but all the space you might need for a multi-country trans alpine trip.

Thanks guys,

I'll have a look at the hard luggage solution and see if I can find something. Maybe eBay might help!

Failing that, you could always padlock the bags shut and secure the bags themselves to the frame with a small (bicycle?) cable lock. It won't stop someone with a knife, but then again metal ones won't stop someone with a tin opener and a lot of ambition :lol: Enough to stop the opportunists, which is usually what you want for rest stops and the likes. Just keep your small valuables (phone wallet) in a tank bag that you can whip off the bike easily when leaving it (and the panniers/tailpack) unattended. Could get one of the ones with shoulder straps if you want to make it really convenient!

This is how I go on tour, i.e. panniers, tank bag and sausage roll on the back (yep, the white one).

France1.jpg

Whenever I stop I stuff my gloves in the helmet and put it on the right mirror. Never had a problem with anybody going anywhere near the bike apart from a bus of Indians once who wanted to sit on it and take photos of each other :D

I have my purse, mobile and tobacco on me all the time, my dearest possessions. Oh, and a lighter ;) Been all over Austria, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Italy, France, Switzerland and Germany like that and have never had anything taken...

I like Toad's approach.

Most of the time on a tour we stop for petrol or for lunch in small towns. I've got hard luggage, and it might be locked or it might not, I don't think about it a lot. I just make sure I've my wallet and passport and stuff like that are with me.

I feel differently about things In a city. I leave the bike parked up in central London from time to time. I choose a busy well-lit place, and I lock the luggage. If I've ever had a a bag on pillion seat then I've padlocked the bag to the bike and made sure the lock is clearly visible. If I stop for petrol in London, the hard luggage is locked.