Touring tips

Stu

I am looking at putting together and list of touring hints and tips and also what you legally need to carry for each country

If anyone has any info they would like to pass on then feel free to post it up or PM me it

There is so many "lists" out there that are either well outdated or some of it is not true and I would like to try and have something for reference for members

All help appreciated :)

At toll booths (peages) look for very narrow lane on far right, which is free for bikes. Not always the case, but is mostly.

Carry maps in case sat nav gives up.

Keep coins and small notes in easy access tank bag pocket.

Don't rise to baiting by French bike cops.

Austria:

• * speed limits - 50kph in built up areas, 100kph elsewhere, motorways 130kph.

* road tax for motorways - 10 days € 5.10, 2 months € 12.90, 12 months € 34.10 - can be bought at most petrol stations in Austria and those on motorways abroad. Fines for not displaying your "Vignette" are draconian, somewhere in the region of €200 or €300.

* first aid kit is mandatory

* it is perfectly legal to ride up to the lights or past other standing traffic

More to come...

Germany:

• * speed limits: 50kph in built up areas, 100kph elsewhere, motorways up to where it gets uncomfortable on the bike. Mine once managed 221kph with panniers

* not exactly legal to manoeuvre through traffic on motorways but mostly tolerated - make of that what you will

* feel free to add stuff and I'll update this post

Edited by toad

at Priorité à droite - this gives drivers right of way to pull out from a side road on to a main road, it's an old law from the days of horse and carts, most French don't recognise it any more but some do , I've had it happen to me , it's mostly in smaller villages, just something to be aware of .

at Priorité à droite - this gives drivers right of way to pull out from a side road on to a main road, it's an old law from the days of horse and carts, most French don't recognise it any more but some do , I've had it happen to me , it's mostly in smaller villages, just something to be aware of .

Get the same in Germany, usually in heavily built up areas or small villages. Premise being that there is no main road and the vehicle coming from the right always has the right of way.

I got the following info from the German ADAC website.

Belgium:

* passing stationary or slow moving traffic is allowed

* you can use bus lanes

* no T-Shirts/shorts

Denmark:

* nothing of note

France:

* high visibility vest a must, otherwise a fine of at least EUR 90

Italy:

* no trailers allowed

Luxembourg:

* high visibility vest

* first aid kit advised

Netherlands:

* nothing of note

Austria:

* see above

Switzerland:

* nothing of note

Spain:

* luggage must not stick out more than 50cm to either side and 25cm at the back

Czech Republic:

* nothing of note

back to basics..

1. decide where you want to go.

2. when.

3. how to get there.

1.. is probably the easiest question of all.

2.. do you want to travel during the holiday season.. (school holidays) or not. Obviously during the main holidays roads etc will be busier. hotels and campsites charging more.. and possibly full. so booking in advance might be the only way. Are you heading for the Alps? then 'when you go' becomes very important.. too early and roads and passes can be closed. especially in the high alps. and even if they are open.. they can be extremely cold. it might be mid 20s in the valleys.. but climb a road to 3,000 meters and it can just as easily be 1c. even in June. will you have the gear for sub zero... in june?

3. how to get there... if you live midlands or south and can book in advance then think about the Tunnel. its not luxurious, but its quick and very convenient. also.. if you miss your crossing.. or arrive early they will nearly always put you on the next available train. at worse you might need to wait an hour or so. one other small benefit of the tunnel is it is a painless introduction to riding on the right. its very difficult to go wrong.

In addition to that. i think a dedicated sat nav is extremely useful. so is a phone thats set up for roaming. with rescue numbers and ICE all easy to find. Pouring over maps.. including google maps can be a benefit so can taking a trip to waterstones and looking at and maybe buying any guide books for the local area. and entering any 'must see' places or things as POI's in your sat nav. If you are thinking of camping.. and your sat nav doesnt have a campsite database. then download one from Archies Camping. http://www.archiescampings.eu

Take a little time to learn just a few words in the local language.. it doesnt matter if you're crap. if you make this effort it will pay off. Simply blurting out "do you speak english?" isnt always the best way forward. but a few words.. even if its just 'I dont speak.. ' - badly pronounced in the local language is much better. This will 99/100 immediately identify you as a Brit.. and people do tend to react better.

Best biking roads is a great site to look at when planning routes. also.. dont be afraid to ask about routes on this and any other forum. you can virtually guarantee an answer, which might be first hand experience or a point to a website thats loaded with info. for instance.. if you have a sat nav, say a garmin. use their software as a search tool.. so, if you are heading for.. as an example, the pyrenees. type in "Pyrenees motorcycel GPX' or "GDB" and see what pops up. like this - http://bfy.tw/8wmC

Using streetview is often a very good idea.. so, I was looking at campsites in the Dolomites and wanted to see what one in particular looked like, or rather, where it is looked like:

https://goo.gl/maps/CqpeS6Drn1T2

Brilliant so far guys

I first want to put a list together of "Must have's" for venturing abroad ie the essential items you need before you cross the boarder then a list of optional items so far I have this:

Must have's

1. Valid Passport + any necessary visas.

2. Driving Licence.

3. Registration Document (V5).

4. Motorcycle insurance that covers you for the country you are travelling in including a copy of the certificate.

5. Personal travel insurance & medical insurance ensure it covers you for riding motorcycles as many only cover up to 125cc.

6. Health Card (old E111) available from here or call for more information: 0191 218 1999 – check expiry date if you already have one.

7. Currency: Sterling, Euros, Swiss Francs etc, credit/debit cards ensure you inform your credit/debit card company before you travel.

Optional

1. Note with your passport of any allergies or ailments (incl. Latin name – for international recognition) and current medication with dosage information.

2. Basic pain killers, personal medication and prescription drugs.

3. Earplugs.

4. Mini first aid kit.

5. Sunblock, sunscreen, lip balm.

6. Water bottle.

Then I want to create links for each country with information for riding in that country ie high viz, spare bulbs, first aid kit, road signs/tips etc etc

planning and bike prep!

you and your bike need to be ready for where

you're going, what you're doing there, and getting back.

Are your tyres going to last the whole trip?

Do you need super sticky "track" tyres for 1 day on the twisties?

Or harder wearing "sensible" tyres for the journey there and back?

How are you going to do simple tasks like chain tensioning, tyre pressures?

planning and bike prep!

you and your bike need to be ready for where

you're going, what you're doing there, and getting back.

Are your tyres going to last the whole trip?

Do you need super sticky "track" tyres for 1 day on the twisties?

Or harder wearing "sensible" tyres for the journey there and back?

How are you going to do simple tasks like chain tensioning, tyre pressures?

Make sure Tyres lasting the whole trip is an excellent tip, I know someone who got caught out with that .

Should add a Wiki section to the site so we can all contribute and keep relevant info grouped in pages..

This is a good idea but its this what causes problems!

People input nonsense that's not true and can be misleading

I want to try and create something that is truth and not hearsay :thumb:

A small bottle of visor cleaner.

In Italy during MotoGP weekends the police are pretty relaxed about speeds on national limit roads, but hot (rightly) on village 30's (mph).

If you're on an Italian bike you'll be applauded by bill.

The locals go for noise rather than wheelies, stoppies, or silly fast. I do mean noise. At Mugello I saw 3 US V8's on palettes revved to the max by blokes dressed as surgeons. The manifolds were on upside down with open megaphones fitted with remote controlled spark plugs. Button cut spark to head, livened plug in megaphone, resulting in flames 2metres high.

Wear ear protection.